Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Pangea wrote: »
    Christmas day forecast is nearly a carbon copy of last years, warm air pushing up, could turn to snow in places ,and there will be a thaw later, only thing is what really happened last year was I got 2 inches of snow on Christmas day and the thaw didnt come till around the 14th of January.

I,m in shock in what i heard on the farming weather. ME 100% positive with there forecast of the milder air sweeping through.

I think the have put all their eggs in the one basket (ECM)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Christmas day forecast is nearly a carbon copy of last years, warm air pushing up, could turn to snow in places ,and there will be a thaw later, only thing is what really happened last year was I got 2 inches of snow on Christmas day and the thaw didnt come till around the 14th of January.

well, yeah if they are right, which of course i'm skeptical of, you will be in the best place to see some snow fall but it would turn back to rain eventually. The deeper snow cover will give those inland, who didn't get snow last year, a better chance of seeing snow before it turns back to rain. In any case it will be a white Christmas for some, even if snow doesn't fall:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Looking good for Tuesday snow in east going by that RTE forecast
    Yesterday they said most of the midweek would be dry
    All over the shop
    Who would be a weather forecaster :D

Yeah they said that about the weekend, Im fairly sure it will change again by tue :) because the BBC country file forecast didint show a flake of snow over us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nobody knows anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Hey guys, my apologies for hijacking the thread but i was unsure as to where to post this and am a little desperate for your weather advice!

My fella is flying from Hong Kong on Wed nite/Thur Morn into Heathrow, now i know at the minute Heathrow is closed but he had planned on sailing from Holy head (he has a lot of baggage!) into dublin to be here fri morning?
    Can u guys give me any heads up weather wise? Am i going to be spending Christmas with my fella or is there going to be tears!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Very dark clouds heading in over around Dunleer for the last hour or two. And dark clouds to my south also. Clear skies overhead and to my east:rolleyes:

But it's early days yet! There's going to be flurries over the afternoon throughout Louth I expect.

MonicaBing wrote: »
    Hey guys, my apologies for hijacking the thread but i was unsure as to where to post this and am a little desperate for your weather advice!

My fella is flying from Hong Kong on Wed nite/Thur Morn into Heathrow, now i know at the minute Heathrow is closed but he had planned on sailing from Holy head (he has a lot of baggage!) into dublin to be here fri morning?
    Can u guys give me any heads up weather wise? Am i going to be spending Christmas with my fella or is there going to be tears!

it really is impossible to say, but based on the current forecast it could be tough going for people in England looking to travel to Ireland next Thursday and Friday. of course this may well change in the coming days, so don't despair just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Raintoday chart seems to be showing showers coming in to the east coast, to the north of Dublin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW-6qyOX4iw&feature=player_profilepage

Country tracks forecast today for those who missed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭traco

Now snowing in Portmarnock, has been working towards it for the last few hours with small flurries every now and again but coming down continuoulsy for the last 45 mins or more.

As far as I can see there is extensive cloud cover to the East and South with it being patchy more North. Its starting to sick on the road out side the house and also on the grass.

BTW - thats my head out the front window forecast so no predictions just observation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Kippure wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW-6qyOX4iw&feature=player_profilepage

Country tracks forecast today for those who missed

Hmm. A bit different to the RTE forecast for the same period
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Hmm. A bit different to the RTE forecast for the same period
    Thanks

I cant seem to bring up the Farming forecast on the rte player. Would anyone have a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

datk wrote: »
    Snowing in Dublin 11 for the past 10 minutes - light enough - not enough to stick or show up yet. At the risk of offending, hopefully it'll go away soon.

At the risk of offending, this is the forecast, model discussion thread.
    Looking at the cloud movement on sat24.com it's understandable that precip location is hard to call.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Looking promising for more widespread precipitation on Tuesday for parts of Leinster/Munster:

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

However, I would still consider this unreliable as we are more than 24 hours away.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Darwin wrote: »
    Looking promising for more widespread precipitation on Tuesday for parts of Leinster/Munster:

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

However, I would still consider this unreliable as we are more than 24 hours away.

Dream on is what I say. Event is over. One week from now we'll get some Atlantic follow through. That's about it.

I was so hopeful of an epic event, we got 3/4 inches on Friday and a flurry yesterday. As unreliable as the charts are, Irelands in the centre of Low pressure stagnation. We'll need a 200-300 mile southerly shift if we want anything

Dream on is what I say. Event is over. One week from now we'll get some Atlantic follow through. That's about it.

I was so hopeful of an epic event, we got 3/4 inches on Friday and a flurry yesterday. As unreliable as the charts are, Irelands in the centre of Low pressure stagnation. We'll need a 200-300 mile southerly shift if we want anything

Have to agree with Cheeryghost, apart from the atlantic follow bit early to be saying that yet, but Tuesdays event like every other event the weekend prob will not happen it will be pushed over the UK, Im fairly sure that Hirlam chart will change when its updated if not today on Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Radar interference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Very light shower of large flakes in Glasnevin, sticking to ground. Hopefully the first of the streamer activity for tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

12Z GFS is similar now to the ECMWF in anticipating a warming trend for Xmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Latest NAE is big upgrade for the South on Tuesday.
    A bit of advice for Corkonians, do your shopping tomorrow because it could snow heavy Mon night and Tuesday and if it does this will then likely freeze until Christmas. In fact the reason the roads are passable here is because the wind is on-shore. As soon as this veers Northeast after Tuesday we will see lethal roads as everywhere is white

J.S. Tip SHOP TOMORROW!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Baby watch continues here in Waterford ..

Could I have the latest for Waterford city over the next 24 hours lads n ladies if possible? I think I can cancel my request to borrow my friends 4x4 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

it really is impossible to say, but based on the current forecast it could be tough going for people in England looking to travel to Ireland next Thursday and Friday. of course this may well change in the coming days, so don't despair just yet.

significant other on the horrendous drive from london over to holy head. Roads fine till you get to Chester then its into a different planet... Compacted snow & iced over....... hopefully things change to help the tons of people stuck with no flights... His company tried to book flights this morning & earliest was Thursday ...

lucy2010 wrote: »
    significant other on the horrendous drive from london over to holy head. Roads fine till you get to Chester then its into a different planet... Compacted snow & iced over....... hopefully things change to help the tons of people stuck with no flights... His company tried to book flights this morning & earliest was Thursday ...

Yeah. It's looking dodgy for my Brother and Sister to make it home from London for Christmas at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yeah. It's looking dodgy for my Brother and Sister to make it home from London for Christmas at the moment.

Likewise - brother is due to travel tomorrow but thats not going to happen now. One of my mates is trying to get back home to London but is stranded here in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

lucy2010 wrote: »

Has he been forced to abandon his road journey ? Is that route reasonably driveable or is it a no go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Likewise - brother is due to travel tomorrow but thats not going to happen now. One of my mates is trying to get back home to London but is stranded here in Dublin.

Have to completly disagree, ive travelled home from London today via rail and boat, was over for the Chelsea game that got called off. Left London at 8am this morning. Will be making a business trip over Wed and back Thur the same way if flights are still having difficulty.

Trotter wrote: »
    Baby watch continues here in Waterford ..

Could I have the latest for Waterford city over the next 24 hours lads n ladies if possible? I think I can cancel my request to borrow my friends 4x4 anyway.

Mainly dry tonight, Light snow showers Monday, then some heavy snow Tuesday, but that might not happen, better off checking back here every day

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

temp is dropping like a stone, -6 now

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Have to completly disagree, ive travelled home from London today via rail and boat, was over for the Chelsea game that got called off. Left London at 8am this morning. Will be making a business trip over Wed and back Thur the same way if flights are still having difficulty.

Did you go to Holyhead ?If so were the trains running ok ? I've booked my kids to go over tmrw as flights were cancelled yesterday .

Sorry shouldn't be posting here ,model discuusion i know , thought I was in the other thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Mainly dry tonight, Light snow showers Monday, then some heavy snow Tuesday, but that might not happen, better off checking back here every day

Thanks a lot! Makes things much easier knowing its not on the list of things to worry about for the next 24 hrs :D

Advertisement