Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

redsunset wrote: »
    meteogram.png

I know this will change but tis good to get a wee bit excited ,BANK

It's tomorrows output,ya would think it was set in stone at this stage but unfortunately Hirlam gets rid

Hirlam updated again for snow on Tue in the south east, also the GFS and the bbc precp chart, whats the bets they will change again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

I'm hoping against hope here, but i feel that the burst that hit cornwall tonight and is still hitting it could swing back over wales and smack the souteast tuesday. Lake effect......... i think i love you!!!!:D but i want to know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

GFS now says a decent bit of snow into the East later Tuesday into Wednesday:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

aboyro wrote: »
    I'm hoping against hope here, but i feel that the burst that hit cornwall tonight and is still hitting it could swing back over wales and smack the souteast tuesday. Lake effect......... i think i love you!!!!:D but i want to know for sure.

Or maybe it'll do what the Irish Sea streamers having been doing all night and right now - just sit off shore and steadfastly refuse to make landfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The Met eireann talk of 8-10 c for christmas day is like a bullet to the heart :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

06Z GFS is showing snow potential from late tonight to tomorrow night for the southeast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Well all i can say is i've never in my 23 years , even when skiing, seen any snow like what we've had in the last hour. We had at least 3 inches between 9 and 10 and its still coming down thick and fast. I walked into town to open up our store before the other manager came in(normally day off). But walking home i couldn't even tell the footpaths for the road.

I've made up my mind though. I love it. The stillness and quiteness are unimaginable. A guy was walking at the otherside of the road of me the whole way home and i couldnt even hear him walking because the snow was so thick the sound didnt travel

Just amazing. I 've taken about 30 photos and ill put them up at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Well all i can say is i've never in my 23 years , even when skiing, seen any snow like what we've had in the last hour.

where's this? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

fryup wrote: »
    where's this? :confused:
    Dorchester

DT1 1LD

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Heavy snow on the Dublin coast. Whiteout in Sutton, Dun laoghaire and also pats of south Dublin up to 3 or 4 cm has fallen in places in the space of an hour and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

So far seems pretty localised though - nothing (yet) in Dublin 11 this morning though I can see the current streamer to my east travelling south west. Looking at radar I'm optimistic we'll get some here sooner or later though.

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Heavy snow on the Dublin coast. Whiteout in Sutton, Dun laoghaire and also pats of south Dublin up to 3 or 4 cm has fallen in places in the space of an hour and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Just had a quick look at the rainfall radar chart. It looks like snow is getting into Dublin from the east. Its snowing here in Dublin 6, a few flurries anyway, dont know how far inland it will go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Heavy snow about 20mins or so ago in Dublin City centre. Didn't last for long but covered the ground anyway. Stopped now but have my eyes gluded to the window (ahm, I mean while working)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Lads just a friendly reminder that this is a thread for media forecasts and model output discussion rather than the current snowfall over XX :-)

Sky News forecast has south east Ireland seeing some nice snowfall tommorow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Sky News forecast has south east Ireland seeing some nice snowfall tommorow:)

So does this in the Nedbor section:

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Harps wrote: »
    Met Eireann will confirm warming at the slightest hint on the models, it does seem that warming is briefly on the way but I wouldnt take it too seriously yet as this time yesterday they were adamant it would happen on Christmas Eve
    Met Eireann are very confident that mild air will be well established over the country Christmas day. I just saw their five day charts on tv and it shows ten degrees over the country with rain. Haven't seen a chart with those temperatures for a long time. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

I honestly hope ME ends up with egg on there faces- saying it could be 10degrees by saturday is a bit strange- now they could be correct- but i hope the Atlantic push gets held back and cold holds out- just to give them the 2 fingers- there performance of late has been terrible- and as for the Broadcast on RTE they are a joke - if its not Gerry and his dodgy smile or Evelyn whom i just cant take to. THey start every broadcast with "possible snow anywhere" then go into detail and show where they think its gonna snow and then the final screen shot isnt the same as the one they showed for the daily screen (hope i make sence).

I hate ME

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Met Eireann are very confident that mild air will be well established over the country Christmas day. I just saw their five day charts on tv and it shows ten degrees over the country with rain. Haven't seen a chart with those temperatures for a long time. :eek:

was looking at the models last night and could see a bit of warming from the atlantic for the south west but for the 24th and then back into the cold temps afterwards. will be interesting to see how this pans out. i don't bother much with ME, just to look at the radar and read the weather warnings

was looking at the models last night and could see a bit of warming from the atlantic for the south west but for the 24th and then back into the cold temps afterwards. will be interesting to see how this pans out. i don't bother much with ME, just to look at the radar and read the weather warnings

And this would be a fairly rapid increase in temperatures, warmer weather coming into battle with very cold weather. This 'battle' could be interesting, as MT suggested a possibility of a storm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

And this would be a fairly rapid increase in temperatures, warmer weather coming into battle with very cold weather. This 'battle' could be interesting, as MT suggested a possibility of a storm

could make for a very interesting christmas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

So does this in the Nedbor section:

:cool:
    This is the first mention on any model or map I've seen of the northwest getting another dose of snow. Are there any other charts etc out there that back this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

To be honest that particular model is chopping and changing all the time. We were supposed to get snow in the midlands on Monday morning, then this was shifted to Tuesday, now it shows something different again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

With such a slack flow i'd say it'll be the coast only that will get snow before the spell ends.

irish1967 wrote: »
    This is the first mention on any model or map I've seen of the northwest getting another dose of snow. Are there any other charts etc out there that back this up?

Hi Irish, I'm only a lurker but I do use that one a bit and it seems accurate enough (got the link here), MET have this out for Ulster:

Ulster
    20 December 2010- updated at 13:00
    Today

Bitterly cold today but dry in most places with sunny intervals. Fog patches will slowly clear. Isolated snow showers near coasts. Temperatures staying well below zero in most parts but climbing to 1 or 2 degrees near coasts. Winds will be light variable.

Tonight

Continuing bitterly cold tonight but mostly dry with widespread severe frost and icy patches. Snow showers in Donegal and the southeast at times. Patches of mist and freezing fog will form also. Temperatures as low as -15 Celsius inland but milder near coasts.

Tomorrow

Tuesday will be another bitterly cold day with fog slow to clear. Mostly dry with some bright or sunny spells. Further snow showers in the northwest later. Temperatures staying below zero in most parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Fairly continuous looking snow for the east for the next day or so yet no one really forecasting it . Any thoughts ?

Off topic I know but does anyine know what happened the power here ? be concerned in this cold it will go again

lucy2010 wrote: »

Fairly continuous looking snow for the east for the next day or so yet no one really forecasting it . Any thoughts ?

Well ME forecast after one news did give for snow in Leinster over Tuesday/Wednesday alright

Well ME forecast after one news did give for snow in Leinster over Tuesday/Wednesday alright

M.T. gave it in his forecast too, but did add to check for updates.

"TUESDAY, there is some risk of moderate or heavy snowfalls in the south, southeast and east"

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

sorry lads was offline for ages with power gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

like the look of the dmi charts for East coast,or maybe i'm just picking whatever charts I like the look of:)

Advertisement