Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

What in under god is ME forecasting on its 5 day rainfall chart here? Do my eyes decieve me or have we got full country precip for Christmas day???? Is it rain??:eek:

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

About to start bucketing down here again. Nothing has melted. Still 4cm's or there abouts on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The 850 hPa Wind chart for Friday/Saturday from south south-west, looks like dragging a front up and a wet Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

mike65 wrote: »
    The 850 hPa Wind chart for Friday/Saturday from south south-west, looks like dragging a front up and a wet Christmas.

Could be pushed back yet, be intersting what the latest ECMWF run says after 6

Gotta the cold weirdos! Its going to be mild and wet! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

ha ha cold and dry is much better than mild, dull, depressing altlantic muck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

irish1967 wrote: »
    This is the first mention on any model or map I've seen of the northwest getting another dose of snow. Are there any other charts etc out there that back this up?
    According to the DMI it should start snowing at us at 11pm till 6am. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Cold weirdos? Nice generalisation there mike. And if you knew anything about weather you would understand that this could very easily be pushed back on the next few runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

irish1967 wrote: »
    What in under god is ME forecasting on its 5 day rainfall chart here? Do my eyes decieve me or have we got full country precip for Christmas day???? Is it rain??:eek:

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

Yup, it's rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Pangea wrote: »

where did this feature come from?! all the way down the west tomorrow??! never heard it mentioned anywhere on the forecasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GSF

baraca wrote: »
    Cold weirdos? Nice generalisation there mike. And if you knew anything about weather you would understand that this could very easily be pushed back on the next few runs.

Humour bypass perhaps? It looks like its ok to wish for cold leading to widescale disruption including financial loss, property damage, etc but anyone wanting a return to normality gets jumped on.

GSF wrote: »
    Humour bypass perhaps? It looks like its ok to wish for cold leading to widescale disruption including financial loss, property damage, etc but anyone wanting a return to normality gets jumped on.

lol, Jumped on? Mike said and i qoute "It's going to be mild and wet! :mad:"

Seemed pretty certain of that didn't he i was just letting him know it could all change on the next few runs and go back to cold.

Jumped on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Looking at the GFS rolling out at the minute would I be right in saying it pushes the breakdown a little further back ?

Also it seems to show the east coast getting decent snow tomorrow ?

Opr

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Interesting, an upgrade in snowfall for the East coast tonight. Pushing inland overnight and tomorrow, wouldnt be surprised if it makes a bit more headway with the wind direction

ukprec.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »

Yes. It would be super if it comes off. A nice little top up.:D
    It has been a little unreliable in the last couple of days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Looking at the GFS rolling out at the minute would I be right in saying it pushes the breakdown a little further back ?

Also it seems to show the east coast getting decent snow tomorrow ?

Opr

was going to say the same thing, 12 z looks like that adlantic low is moving slower and more due east in track :rolleyes:

Yes. It would be super if it comes off. A nice little top up.:D
    It has been a little unreliable in the last couple of days though.

yeah it has been very unreliable. seems to change every run and would still believe there will be more changes before tomorrow for the east snowfall event. hopefully changes for the better!

GSF wrote: »
    baraca wrote: »
    lol, Jumped on? Mike said and i qoute "It's going to be mild and wet! :mad:"

Seemed pretty certain of that didn't he i was just letting him know it could all change on the next few runs and go back to cold.

Jumped on :rolleyes:

Yep a definite humour bypass, anyway whats so great about snow/ice/freezing fog? Only total nutters can find anything postive in such conditions (and children of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

mid stephens's day and still low upper temps and a slow mixing of the warmer air

h850t850eu.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I might add, the 12Z charts show Ireland as a battleground for cold vs milder air on Christmas day. And guess what? The cold might just win it. Would be interesting to see whether rain will fall or if the cold easterly stream will give a pillar of snow to the country.

gme-0-132.png?12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Mutor_CS

yr.no is now projecting Dublin snow from lunchtime tomorrow (Tuesday), warming into sleet/rain through the night into Wednesday am.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Dublin/Dublin/hour_by_hour.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

ME's latest:

Monday, 20 December 2010 16:03

Today
    Tonight will be dry and clear over many areas, but there will be further snow showers along the east and north coast with the risk of thunder. Later this evening the snow showers over the north coast will drift southwards overnight affecting parts of the northwest and west. It will be extremely cold with a widespread severe frost as temperatures fall to -5 to -12 degrees with icy roads and freezing fog returning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

I might add, the 12Z charts show Ireland as a battleground for cold vs milder air on Christmas day. And guess what? The cold might just win it. Would be interesting to see whether rain will fall or if the cold easterly stream will give a pillar of snow to the country.

gme-0-132.png?12

Judging by that chart, could be another "blocking high" type scenario?

Going to be an interesting week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Could be snomageddon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yep a definite humour bypass, anyway whats so great about snow/ice/freezing fog? Only total nutters can find anything postive in such conditions (and children of course).

In the same way only a total nutter could like milder weather during Winter. :p

snow ghost wrote: »
    Could be snomageddon.

Being extremely hopeful, odds are it'll rain though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

would I be correct in saying that the snow for S/SE for tonight has disappeared once again? :(

Nope sorry i've tried and i can't see anything remotely funny in your original post. And meh on your second point people always come in here saying what's so great about snow bla bla, We like it that's what's so great.

Being extremely hopeful, odds are it'll rain though :)

well living down south which is the mildest part of the country i have never felt it as cold or seen such low day time temps. am sure this cold air will be hard to budge and interesting to see whether met eireann change their forecast in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Yes, the 12Z GFS wants to push back the breakdown to the 26th. No surprise to see this, it has been pushed back several times now. Still though, there will be a breakdown at some stage ,probably before the end of the month, maybe not as fast as the models are showing, but it has to happen. :pac:

Advertisement