Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

The Hirlam model has just being updated for tommorow and is looking good for the east and south east tommorow looks like the precp will push a bit inland, but ill believe it when I see it:)

That looks a lot better for the East and South East over the next few days. Hopefully it works out like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 darol15

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    I'm going to say a 65% chance of snow in Wexford tomorrow.

and for cork ? :D even a rain down pour at night will do me , im easy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

oterra wrote: »
    Those streamers that dumped on Dublin, Meath, Wicklow seem to heading inland now and the Irish Sea looks clear of further activity. How long do we reckon before more organised streamers build and head for shore?

1.14am

18Z GFS again looks like a slight upgrade to me in terms of keeping the cold longer.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Just went for a walk around my estate and dont think ive ever seen so much so snow down so quick! several inches and over half a foot in places...mental stuff...everything looks so pretty but im worried that if we get snow all day tomorrow it will be worse than last time:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Lads is there a decent link for the HIRLAM models?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

darol15 wrote: »
    and for cork ? :D even a rain down pour at night will do me , im easy ;)

Some where between 0 and lets see 0%, sorry. Ya never know tho.

EDIT: The 18z GFS has downgraded the potential for the south-east tomorrow slightly. All eyes to the HIRLAM at 11pm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Not a chance in hell of double digit temps on Xmas day, combined with the cold in place and more than likely some snow cover according to 18Z GFS

h850t850eu.png

Trotter wrote: »

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

DMI - Vejrkort (click on nedbor)
    EMHI better for west coast dwellers as it shows the coastal fringes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

click on "nebor" for precipitation projections :D

edit: beaten to it twice, sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

oterra wrote: »
    Those streamers that dumped on Dublin, Meath, Wicklow seem to heading inland now and the Irish Sea looks clear of further activity. How long do we reckon before more organised streamers build and head for shore?
    i think MT mentioned the possibility of midnight thundersnow :)

ffs !! where could i see that ? thanks for getting back anyway man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Not a chance in hell of double digit temps on Xmas day, combined with the cold in place and more than likely some snow cover according to 18Z GFS

Yeah looks as if the Atlantic is going to lose this one, well it will be kept at bay a bit longer. I know ME are basing their prediction on a different model but their confidence about the higher temps (5 days away) amazes me esp considering it is going to be tough to call until closer to the time.

Ooooooh.... the HIRLAM has really upgraded the snow potential for the south east tomorrow morning:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looking at the temp projections on wetterzentral, whether one has a cold or less cold Christmas will largely depend on whether you are on the south coast or not.

jobbo those show snow curling in over cork !! what exactly is it that might change that? different pressure or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Where did that low over Donegal on MEs 3 hour forecast come from , the same on the latest Hirlam , also traffic on the N17 virtually at a standstill according to local radio, looks like some parts of connacht are going to have a bit of snow before morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

DMI - Vejrkort (click on nedbor)
    EMHI better for west coast dwellers as it shows the coastal fringes:D
    Jaysus, just checked DMI and it shows heavy snow in the South West (Kerry) from 8am till 2pm tomorrow :eek:
    Is the 11pm update irish time or Danish? I assume Danish time and this is the 11pm update / upgrade!
    The models are crazy at the moment and the 3 hour forecast needs close watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

But Gerry Murphy was practically giddy at the prospects of double digit figures on Saturday. Poor fella won't be able to sleep with the thoughts of snow on the ground for Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Ooooooh.... the HIRLAM has really upgraded the snow potential for the south east tomorrow morning:D:D:D:D:D

How far up the east coast is it expected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Latest fax chart.

fax120s.gif

Can someone tell me if I am reading it right. It shows that we won't even see a battle and the cold will stay strongly in place ?

Opr

darol15 wrote: »
    ffs !! where could i see that ? thanks for getting back anyway man :)

According to the HIRLAM there is a small chance cork will see action tomorrow evening.

eigrod wrote: »
    How far up the east coast is it expected?

All the way up, heaviest towards wexford, more waves through the day then with wicklow in the line the wex again. But it has to be said that lately even 12hrs is FI for those sort of details... a really nowcast situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

opr wrote: »
    Latest fax chart.

fax120s.gif

Can someone tell me if I am reading it right. It shows that we won't even see a battle and the cold will stay strongly in place ?

Opr

You have that 100% right, no atlantic battle what so ever, and ME jumping for joy with mild weather, be intertsting to see what happens tommorow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

According to raintoday I should be being snowed on for a while now but nothing. Met.ie radar has nothing over me which is correct. Not even mist or fog here. How come ??

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Video from Rathfarnham my other half took a while ago...cars cant get up hill on grange road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8rH-RMekA&feature=youtube_gdata

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Monkaa wrote: »
    Video from Rathfarnham my other half took a while ago...cars cant get up hill on grange road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8rH-RMekA&feature=youtube_gdata

Looks rough. Now it will freeze and be twice as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

irish1967 wrote: »
    According to raintoday I should be being snowed on for a while now but nothing. Met.ie radar has nothing over me which is correct. Not even mist or fog here. How come ??

It seems to be just missing you to the west. The bright yellow never gives up much, you need the darker shades to score decent snow. Which is why I'm getting very interested in whats showing just north of Ballina at 10:30 on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Yeah but nothing at all showing in anypart of donegal at all. Looks nice in mayo. But zilch in Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Supposed to be landing into Dublin Airport tomorrow evening around 6pm.

Any idea of the chances of it going ahead weatherwise?

Advertisement