Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Stky10 wrote: »
    Supposed to be landing into Dublin Airport tomorrow evening around 6pm.

Any idea of the chances of it going ahead weatherwise?
    I think it depends where your coming from. Apparently flights from Heathrow are way behind. Dublin airport is closed at the moment but is due to open again at 11pm, if there is more snow tomorrow in Dublin the airport will keep closing to clear runways and then reopen again to let some flights in. Basically, very long delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

irish1967 wrote: »
    Yeah but nothing at all showing in anypart of donegal at all. Looks nice in mayo. But zilch in Donegal.
    the latest ME 3 hour forecast looks good for the donegal , mayo , sligo , galway area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

fizzycyst wrote: »
    I think it depends where your coming from. Apparently flights from Heathrow are way behind. Dublin airport is closed at the moment but is due to open again at 11pm, if there is more snow tomorrow in Dublin the airport will keep closing to clear runways and then reopen again to let some flights in. Basically, very long delays.

Stockholm. Local weather for tomorrow seems ok. Heavy snow of the last few days will taper off to be replaced by temps of about -17C. Over here thats ok, they're well used to ice and snow. But the plane has to get here in the first place, and then Dublin has to be running too for it to have a hope of taking off.

Stockholm. Local weather for tomorrow seems ok. Heavy snow of the last few days will taper off to be replaced by temps of about -17C. Over here thats ok, they're well used to ice and snow. But the plane has to get here in the first place, and then Dublin has to be running too for it to have a hope of taking off.
    a lot of if's there but keep the faith, hope you get home safely for christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

a lot of if's there but keep the faith, hope you get home safely for christmas :)

Yeah I've booked two seperate flights from two seperate airports with two seperate airlines taking two seperate routes. For contingency I've looked into going by rail but I'm now thinking the ones that are still running are likely to jammed with people and probably useless. So now I'm looking at ferries as a last resort.

At this stage I'd be very willing to accept a diversion into Cork/Liverpool/Edinburgh etc instead. Fingers and other limbs crossed.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've booked two seperate flights from two seperate airports with two seperate airlines taking two seperate routes. For contingency I've looked into going by rail but I'm now thinking the ones that are still running are likely to jammed with people and probably useless. So now I'm looking at ferries as a last resort.

At this stage I'd be very willing to accept a diversion into Cork/Liverpool/Edinburgh etc instead. Fingers and other limbs crossed.
    just to let you know, Cork/Shannon/Galway are open if it's an option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

just to let you know, Cork/Shannon/Galway are open if it's an option

And Ireland West Airport, Knock! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Avns1s wrote: »
    And Ireland West Airport, Knock! ;)

and waterford kerry derry donegal and belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

DMI - Vejrkort (click on nedbor)
    EMHI better for west coast dwellers as it shows the coastal fringes:D

:eek::eek: FFS, that's showing snow for 24 hours in south Dublin starting at 7am tomorrow morning, then a 3 hour pause, and then snow for another 18 hours ! Bearing in mind the five inch snowfall this eveing, could we be looking at 1982 levels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Send it down to us in Waterford will ya ? Totally depressed here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Come up here with a JCB and tipper lorry you are welcome to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Likewise in Co Clare :(
    Everyone's either giving out or showing off about their snow and we've just got ice.
    Crystal clear night -9C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yeah... bloody moon, I'm not going to even look at it tomorrow morning, just to make a point, so there ;).

@not : nah. Has to fall, softly, in big, fluffy heavenly flakes... and white, not street stained :P

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Likewise in Co Clare :(
    Everyone's either giving out or showing off about their snow and we've just got ice.
    Crystal clear night -9C

Have a look here, its showing snow heading down the west coast tomorrow morning - DMI - Vejrkort (click on nedbor)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    When the system over wales reaches the irish sea it will receive a boost in activity. It is misleading to say that the precipitation over wales and central england will be heading our way. This is what is giving people the idea that it will fizzle out and not make it here.

Beasterly is absolutely spot here. People stop taking the linear view of metorology. You can't just look at a cloud and project it 24 hours into the future. The unstable airmass over wales is being fed by advection (sideways transfer of energy) one this spills out onto the itrish sea, it will be fed by convection (sea to air energy transfer) because the sea is warmer than the air.

My bet is on the middle part of the east coast getting the hammering from this tomorrow. I can;t wait to see what MT has to say about it. Speak to us oh wise one!

Have a look here, its showing snow heading down the west coast tomorrow morning - DMI - Vejrkort (click on nedbor)

If thats to be beleived, it wont stop snowing in Dublin until torstag!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Not wrote: »
    :eek::eek: FFS, that's showing snow for 24 hours in south Dublin starting at 7am tomorrow morning, then a 3 hour pause, and then snow for another 18 hours ! Bearing in mind the five inch snowfall this eveing, could we be looking at 1982 levels ?

That is exactly how I read that & said exactly that WTF....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Gremlin wrote: »
    My bet is on the middle part of the east coast getting the hammering from this tomorrow. I can;t wait to see what MT has to say about it. Speak to us oh wise one!

Ya reckon Waterford will escape that one?
    I see the Hirlam has us back in the game.. its like the time my Granny brought me to Bingo when I was 8... Ya just NEVER knew what was coming down the tracks.. One minute you're up, next you're down.. then Hirlam waves it in your face, but ya just have that hunch.

The only time I ever got snow in Waterford was when nobody was expecting it.

If thats to be beleived, it wont stop snowing in Dublin until torstag!

LOL. I snorted laughing when I read that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Jesus on Radio 1 23.55 update just now Gerry from Met Eireann said that there will be up to 6 inches in Kerry and West Cork tomorrow:eek: Me thinks Clare will get a dumping too if this comes off!

• Advertisement

Trotter wrote: »

Actually the more I look at the evidence I think tomorrows weather will be around the southern half of the east coast, especially if that airmass over wales comes up with the goods when if moves across the sea as it is starting to do now.

Ok nail my colours to the mast. 9am tomorrow morning, south of donabate getting hammered. I think waterford is in for it too. We'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Hey folks.
    I want to ask two questions just to clear them up for the night here.
    1. By "too cold to snow" how cold is too cold? -3 and further into - or?
    2. Will Kilkenny see any snow before this time tomorrow?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Trotter wrote: »
    I see the Hirlam has us back in the game.. its like the time my Granny brought me to Bingo when I was 8... Ya just NEVER knew what was coming down the tracks.. One minute you're up, next you're down.. then Hirlam waves it in your face, but ya just have that hunch.

The only time I ever got snow in Waterford was when nobody was expecting it.

You summed it up great there Trotter. That roller coaster just never stops going up and down.
    Gremlins torstag comment made me lol :D
    Just looking at the latest radar and there is some action off the coast of Wales. It will be interesting to see if it beefs up and heads our way.

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Hey folks.
    I want to ask two questions just to clear them up for the night here.
    1. By "too cold to snow" how cold is too cold? -3 and further into - or?
    2. Will Kilkenny see any snow before this time tomorrow?

Ah yes that old nugget. That is just an old wives tale. There is no such thing as too cold to snow. Imaging this, people expect snow but it doesn't come off. Instead they get clear skies and consequently the temerature plummets. People start to beleive it didn;t snow because it was too cold. In fact it was so cold BECAUSE it didn't snow.

Kilkenny, I'd say 50/50 tomorrow, don't expect feet of snow though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Ah yes that old nugget. That is just an old wives tale. There is no such thing as too cold to snow. Imaging this, people expect snow but it doesn't come off. Instead they get clear skies and consequently the temerature plummets. People start to beleive it didn;t snow because it was too cold. In fact it was so cold BECAUSE it didn't snow.

Kilkenny, I'd say 50/50 tomorrow, don't expect feet of snow though.

Exactly what I thought :D
    Ty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

You summed it up great there Trotter. That roller coaster just never stops going up and down.
    Gremlins torstag comment made me lol :D
    Just looking at the latest radar and there is some action off the coast of Wales. It will be interesting to see if it beefs up and heads our way.

If that percip coming out of Wales right now gets up some steam when it hits the Irish Sea, the east and south east could be in for a fair belt of snow alright

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Actually the more I look at the evidence I think tomorrows weather will be around the southern half of the east coast, especially if that airmass over wales comes up with the goods when if moves across the sea as it is starting to do now.

Ok nail my colours to the mast. 9am tomorrow morning, south of donabate getting hammered. I think waterford is in for it too. We'll see.

Here will you move that up as far as Lusk please?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Runs to google maps to locate Donabate - yeah that's me sorted.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Yes, the more active/organized instability will be from Dublin downwards, north of that will see showers/streamers pep up as the day goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

What time do we expect this band of showers to hit the east coast?

Advertisement