Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Leeside wrote: »
    On the Farming Forecast last Sunday they had a temp of +10c for Christmas Day. Now they have a temp of 0c. Now thats what I'd call second thoughts!

Siobhan Ryan has temps between 5 and 10 yesterday for xmas day:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Met Eireann were really overjoyed yesterday at the tropical +10C for Saturday. Backtracking now? I hope they were wrong anyway. Sure ya can't trust Gerry Murphy, he's too shuffley.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Met Eireann were really overjoyed yesterday at the tropical +10C for Saturday. Backtracking now? I hope they were wrong anyway. Sure ya can't trust Gerry Murphy, he's too shuffley.

Ye Gerry even mentioned a "Decent thaw" for Xmas night in his web update this morning. "Decent"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Very disappointing morning but not total unexpected. To come so close was hard to take and looking at the current radar i find it hard to see where our snow will come from. What i'm hoping for now is calm clear weather and a chance to break my station record of -7.7c. At least it will be an ice day as temp now is -1.3c :)

I heard the snow made it as far as Cheekpoint which is a little further west than the radar suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Very disappointing morning but not total unexpected. To come so close was hard to take and looking at the current radar i find it hard to see where our snow will come from. What i'm hoping for now is calm clear weather and a chance to break my station record of -7.7c. At least it will be an ice day as temp now is -1.3c :)

I think over the next 24 hours or so some of those showers will probably squeeze far enough west to give something between a dusting and a bit more. Might be unluckly and miss out completely but since the last batch got as far as New Ross and there are probably more hefty showers to follow later this evening/tonight, chances are decent still.

Dublin/Wicklow is the place to be though. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I think over the next 24 hours or so some of those showers will probably squeeze far enough west to give something between a dusting and a bit more. Might be unluckly and miss out completely but since the last batch got as far as New Ross and there are probably more hefty showers to follow later this evening/tonight, chances are decent still.

Don't forget wexford maq! :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

There is a little bit of hope there so Maq, was thinking that normally these showers tend to pep up a bit in the evening and night time.

baraca wrote: »
    Don't forget wexford maq! :P

:P Whoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Leeside wrote: »
    On the Farming Forecast last Sunday they had a temp of +10c for Christmas Day. Now they have a temp of 0c. Now thats what I'd call second thoughts!

this is why I couldn't understand them being so definite seven days out, it was asking for trouble given the great uncertainity between models in the 24-48 hours period never mind a week later. Perhaps rather than intuition, some let personal preference get in the way. What i mean is with such a vast pool of cold air over western europe, experience should have informed them that's not going to be easy to shift in one fell swoop- especially given the Atlantic is in a weakened state. The ukmo have it right i think, despite the model uncertainity, a gradual return to milder conditions after Christmas day. If they don't backtrack on their outlook for January then i think we're saying goodbye to cold weather for a good while. They've been spot-on for the last month so i don't see a reason to start doubting them now.

Mike65, do you think the ukmo is right;)

Weather Warning

Issued at 21 December 2010 - 14:00

Severe weather alert update

Continuing extremely cold countrywide with sub zero temperatures and very severe frost,ice and freezing fog.
    Further heavy snow showers in Eastern counties of Leinster, especially the coastal counties through the rest of today(Tuesday), and into tomorrow with a continuing risk of thunder though showers may be less intense tomorrow.
    Further falls of 5 to 10cm expected in places.
    Snow showers in parts of Clare,west Limerick, Kerry and Cork will clear Southwards later this afternoon and evening.
    Scattered snow showers at times also on the north and northwest coast.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

In my experience, ME are unable to tell you what the weather would be like in 10 minutes. I don't recall them giving any warnings about this heavy shower activity that has shut Dublin Airport. Useless. A waste of money. You'd be better off watching out the window than to rely on what they come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

That activity heading across to Dublin atm looks like it will be snowing there for most of the day. Lucky backsterds!

kstand wrote: »
    I don't recall them giving any warnings about this heavy shower activity that has shut Dublin Airport.

Not true. There was a severe weather alert, which has since been updated at 2pm. The national forecast from 5am this morning also says "Heavy snow showers in east Leinster".

This is all available on the Met Eireann website and the Met Eireann warnings have been mentioned on RTE and other media sites.

You could only miss it by not looking for it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

MT said earlier about west and east showers merging across the south, if this happens surely Waterford will see snow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

fizzycyst wrote: »
    MT said earlier about west and east showers merging across the south, if this happens surely Waterford will see snow :rolleyes:
    well it's still Sunny about 15 km West of Cork City, but cloudy and clearly snowing further west, i.e. Kerry

Not true. There was a severe weather alert, which has since been updated at 2pm. The national forecast from 5am this morning also says "Heavy snow showers in east Leinster".

This is all available on the Met Eireann website and the Met Eireann warnings have been mentioned on RTE and other media sites.

You could only miss it by not looking for it really.

Yeah? So they predicted it at 5am this morning? Thats useful all right. How come they didn't predict it yesterday? Or what happened last night? Useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Yeah? So they predicted it at 5am this morning? Thats useful all right. How come they didn't predict it yesterday? Or what happened last night? Useless.

Well I watched the weather forecast last night after 9 news and I was expecting snow in the east from this morning having watched it, so are you sure you watched the weather forecast last night? :confused:

My Mrs has been in Heathrow all day flying back to Dublin with the little lad. Just been told now the flight is cancelled.
    How come none of this was forecast yesterday?

Babooshka wrote: »
    Well I watched the weather forecast last night after 9 news and I was expecting snow in the east from this morning having watched it, so are you sure you watched the weather forecast last night? :confused:

Live in London. Was on the ME website etc yesterday afternoon and had no idea that something this disruptive was on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Live in London. Was on the ME website etc yesterday afternoon and had no idea that something this disruptive was on the way.

Oh, I see ... Honestly don't think they can predict more than the next few hours though at times, because of the unpredictable nature of this particular spell. I haven't been reading all of the thread but if you're stranded because of it, I wish you a speedy journey soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Erm - they did predict it last night. And the night before, I think. Did you watch the forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

homolumo wrote: »
    I heard the snow made it as far as Cheekpoint which is a little further west than the radar suggested.

Yeah i heard Dunmore as well, may i'll see a sprinkling at home :pac:

Looking like dry and very cold evening now, i'll be leaving the tap on early tonight.

Yeah? So they predicted it at 5am this morning? Thats useful all right.

Yes, it is quite useful, for most people who get up early to commute.
    How come they didn't predict it yesterday? Or what happened last night? Useless.

As Babooshka said it was forecast last night. There is no archive of Met Eireann forecasts so I cannot copy what was there but...

Met Eireann warned of heavy snow in east Leinster, Ulster, Connaught and west Munster for Monday night and Tuesday.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5hQx5GaoN5GKDd62hTQgAXyiYwRFA?docId=N0252461292884786068A

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

ok to get back on track when will this hit midlands and kilkenny for feck sake coming from both sides now and we are still missing out

channaigh wrote: »
    ok to get back on track when will this hit midlands and kilkenny for feck sake coming from both sides now and we are still missing out

It will be mostly coastal counties in the east that will get hit though the leftovers of some showers will probably get a bit further west. Hard to know how far, keep an eye on the radar later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

It will be mostly coastal counties in the east that will get hit though the leftovers of some showers will probably get a bit further west. Hard to know how far, keep an eye on the radar later. :)

i was looking for something really postive why do you have to ruin it this is no fun hate ye all with yer snow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

This is a constantly changing situation. If you're that pissed off with ME go watch Sky or something.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

Yeah i heard Dunmore as well, may i'll see a sprinkling at home :pac:

Looking like dry and very cold evening now, i'll be leaving the tap on early tonight.

Yes, well done. Please waste water so that there's none for the rest of us!

12Z NAE precip accum. at 48 hours.

Dublin could be in for some serious snow.

10122312_2112.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

12Z NAE precip accum. at 48 hours.

Dublin could be in for some serious snow.

[/IMG]

We already have serious snow here in Swords, how much more serious can it get? :)

Advertisement