Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget wi-fi phones/smartphones

Options
  • 16-12-2010 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hello folks, just looking for some advice please.

What i'm looking for is a prepay budget phone that has wi-fi capabilities and is also a pretty decent phone. I'm willing to spend up to about 200euro (might stretch more if the phone is worth it)
    I've been looking on a few sites and both these phones are catching my eye

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/phones/detail.php?pid=87
    http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/phones/detail.php?pid=72

If anyone can give me advice on those or can recommend me some others i'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Not quite sure on the spec comparison, but a ZTE Blade (AKA Orange San Francisco) can be got from Orange in the North for £100, and is very good value. There's a guide to unlocking it on boards somewhere too.

Looking up specs, the Blade has a bigger screen than Europa, much higher resolution, better quality (AMOLED vs TFT) screen, same processor speed, better camera (though neither are great), and a nicer (IMO) form factor.

Pretty much the same deal with the Xperia X8, the blade seems to have it beat. Also, from what I can see the X8 comes with android 1.6, wheras the blade comes with 2.1 and can be upgraded to 2.2. Not sure if updates are available for the X8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭Boooourns

TPD wrote: »
    Not quite sure on the spec comparison, but a ZTE Blade (AKA Orange San Francisco) can be got from Orange in the North for £100, and is very good value. There's a guide to unlocking it on boards somewhere too.

Looking up specs, the Blade has a bigger screen than Europa, much higher resolution, better quality (AMOLED vs TFT) screen, same processor speed, better camera (though neither are great), and a nicer (IMO) form factor.

Pretty much the same deal with the Xperia X8, the blade seems to have it beat. Also, from what I can see the X8 comes with android 1.6, wheras the blade comes with 2.1 and can be upgraded to 2.2. Not sure if updates are available for the X8.

So it appears the ZTE Blade beats both and the Europa beats the X8. Thanks for the advice, are phones easy enough to unlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Boooourns wrote: »
    So it appears the ZTE Blade beats both and the Europa beats the X8. Thanks for the advice, are phones easy enough to unlock?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056086197&highlight=unlock+blade

Heres a thread on the phone, there's a link to the unlock code generator. Also handy guides for rooting/installing custom firmwares.

Advertisement