Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

counselling service UCD

Options
  • 16-12-2010 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Anyone ever been? Find it helpful etc?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

I went two years ago! Was very helpful, the guy was really nice but the session was a bit short! It was a once off thing so if you were thinking of going regularly maybe you could make sure it was an hour once a week or something, that would probably be more beneficial!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dorothy_Helena

I went for about three months. Really screwed me up and amplified all of the original problems that I entered therapy to tackle.

...but that being said all of the counselors in there are very well qualified professionals and I believe that they all do genuinely care. Therapy is just so complex...especially when she who is receiving it is not she who is paying for it.

I didn't have control over when the therapy ended or even as much choice as a private client would have had over when sessions were scheduled or what was or was not discussed in session.

I will never again allow myself to become so vulnerable in a situation where I have so little power...so I learnt something there I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I've been using the counselling service for a while now and I must say its been really helpful. I'm definitely more able to deal with personal stuff and keep on top of my coursework. My counsellor is really understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jripper

Yup, it's a great service. I only met one of them on two occasions but it was definitely beneficial, very helpful, considerate and kind.

On a side note, if anyone is thinking of going to the counsellor to get extenuating circumstances for exams, it won't work. If you're looking for this kind of treatment they expect you to be taking somewhat regular sessions over the course of the academic year.

• Advertisement

I reckon the service is probably more geared towards supporting students with minor or recent personal difficulties than those with long-standing, deep-rooted ones. I probably asked too much of it, "tragic" odd ball that I am ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

I've used the service twice. The first counsellor was absolutely useless. I felt that she really didn't listen to my problems at all. She brought up stuff with me that I really didn't want to talk about and it screwed me up rightly for a while.

Then I went back 2 years later, and requested a different counsellor. She was magnificent. She really did help me. And as someone suggested, it wasnt a minor problem at all. I went to her for probably 9 months, every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 icicle2000

I used it 3 years ago. Found it pretty useful. I can't remember how long it was for, probably not too long, but as I was somewhat of an "extreme" case :P they helped with referring me to proper counselling with the HSE, which was also very beneficial.

icicle2000 wrote: »
    I used it 3 years ago. Found it pretty useful. I can't remember how long it was for, probably not too long, but as I was somewhat of an "extreme" case :P they helped with referring me to proper counselling with the HSE, which was also very beneficial.

The HSE mental health services actually HELPED you? Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 icicle2000

^I hear of ridiculous waiting times with the HSE, but I must have been a pretty bad case, I was seen within a week of my referral. Also had a pretty good psychologist & team. But that wasn't the point of the thread so I'll shut up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement