Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC 3 BBC 4 ARE FACING THE AXE

• 16-12-2010 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

THE BBC MAY HAVE TO AXE BBC 3/4 TO FUND S4C WALES AND WORLD NEWS SERVICE I THINK BACK TO THE 70,s WHEN HTV WAS WELSH AND BBC WALES WAS WELSH FOR THE WELSH SPEACKERS :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Source?
    + 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I think they could move the few good shows on BBC3 to BBC2 but BBC4 is a great channel - some great stuff on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That's not a source :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭OldRio

Daily Mail ?????
    They do seem to have an agenda against the BBC.
    The World Service is directly funded by the British Government I think. Not the BBC.
    IMHO BBC3 utter,utter tripe.
    BBC4 Superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

BBC4 would be a loss. BBC3 is mostly rubbish. My opinion.

The World Service is now funded by ther television licence. This was changed a couple of months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

BBC3 does show some interesting shows (including the F1 highlights in the evening), and BBC4 has some great documentaries on.

Cant see why they would "axe" them tbh. Sensationalist tripe as is par for the course with that rag of a paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rsmike

Outrageous, what do we pay our license ......., errr, scrap that , :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The usual nonsense from the Heil.

• Advertisement

Minstrel27 wrote: »

The World Service is now funded by ther television licence. This was changed a couple of months ago.

I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Source?
    the source is the daily telegraph and its a BBC press release dated 15/12/2010 due to there cut in funding saving will have to be made

Well this could be another example of 6 Music type scare the public/guardian readers stunt. Threaten the worst, get people (and the culture secretary) talking about the stations and then "save" them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Minstrel27 wrote: »

True but there are always exceptions...
    Gavin & Stacey
    Mongrels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Looks like they are already axed? All I get is a blue screen on BBC 3/4 :confused:

Er its not 7 pm yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

dnme wrote: »
    Gavin & Stacey
    Mongrels

I have not seen Mongrels but Gavin & Stacey is imo a load of ****e :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

They just announced a new head for BBC3 for its either not going anywhere or he's going to be refilling his CV in a few months time.

mike65 wrote: »
    Er its not 7 pm yet.

What?! They only start transmission after 7PM?!:o

Actually I never watch those channels.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

BBC3 has its moments, it's mainly a testing ground for some new ideas which will get transferred to BBC1 or BBC2 if successful (Gavin & Stacey, Little Britain), some niche programming that wouldn't generally fit on a BBC1 or BBC2 audience (Russel Howard's Good News, Family Guy) and some youth & young adult focused programming (Young Peoples Question Time, Young xxxxxx of the Year, Young Dumb and living off mum, The Autistic Me etc.)

BBC4 is basically the highbrow channel now, overtaking BBC2. It's apart from BBC Parliament the most PSB of the BBC domestic channels.

Nothing also being said about CBBC or CBeebies, would there just be blank screens after 7pm?

I can see a reshuffle of the BBC's TV channels after 2012/2013 when DSO in the UK is complete, but I don't see much happening before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

CBBC / CBeebies share transponders with BBC3 / BBC4 and they change over at 7 pm.
    I particularly like the music programmes on BBC4 so would miss those if the channels were axed.

sorry lawhec - I misinterpreted your post about CBBC etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

BBC3 is rubbish and 4 is not too bad, but as they are not on the Epg and can't record them it wouldn't bother me if they went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

BBC4 is a wonderful channel. It treats the audience with a bit of respect and dignity. It usually deals in themed nights focussing on a particular subject. Right now it's focussing on Science on TV and how it's been presented over the years. Some fascinating stuff in there.

Then it does music culture focus nights, stuff like Synth Britannia, absolutely brilliant and brings us all back to our youth during the late 70's and 80's.

It also does the odd drama, It recently screened a film about John Darwin, they guy who faked his own death in a supposed canoe accident in the UK.

I love BBC4, it often provides an oasis in the cesspit that is modern TV. The "coming up" shows, the explosion of franchise TV and the plague of voting shows.

I would really miss BBC4

200motels wrote: »
    BBC3 is rubbish and 4 is not too bad, but as they are not on the Epg and can't record them it wouldn't bother me if they went.
    That's why I dumped SKY and went with Freesat - can record any of the channels:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

mad muffin wrote: »
    What?! They only start transmission after 7PM?!:o

Actually I never watch those channels.:pac:

Do they not display the test card during the day? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

BBC4 is a wonderful channel. It treats the audience with a bit of respect and dignity...I would really miss BBC4

+1

Tarabuses wrote: »
    CBBC and CBeebies for the kids up to 7pm:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

Most (if not all) BBC4 stuff turns up on BBC2, though I suppose the fact they constantly repeat programmes means you might catch something good the 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) time round.

BBC4 is a wonderful channel. It treats the audience with a bit of respect and dignity. It usually deals in themed nights focussing on a particular subject. Right now it's focussing on Science on TV and how it's been presented over the years. Some fascinating stuff in there.

I love BBC4, it often provides an oasis in the cesspit that is modern TV. The "coming up" shows, the explosion of franchise TV and the plague of voting shows.

I would really miss BBC4

100% in agreement.
    Whilst "she who must be obeys" watches stars with talent dancing in the jungle on ice in the living room. I can enjoy the many pleasures of BBC4 in the kitchen e.g. Wallander. Quality TV.
    I miss the chance to record, but when I purchase a freesat reciever this problem will cease.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Gavin & Stacey
    Mongrels

Don't forget 'How Not To Live Your Life' - brilliant.

All I got was a blue screen.

So double :rolleyes:...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No, because CBBC and Cbeebies is really the same channels as BBC3 & BBC4. If you have a generic FTA box you can see this is true.

Advertisement