Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off licenses closing at 10pm and nanny state

• 16-12-2010 4:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I raised this before in Ranting & Raving forum but not a whole lot of reaction. Me, I could work a lot variable hours and may not finish until after 10pm. After a 15 hour shift I love a quiet pint or two on my own to chill but I can't do this in my own house, I'm irresponsible after all :rolleyes:

There have been nights after clearing a 15 hour shift I've had a few quiet pints on my own or chatting to the barman but again, after 10pm I cannot take drink at home as I cannot be trusted :rolleyes:

Well that's enough of the rolleyes, what say you? And neutral polling options added so don't anyone accuse me of bias

What say you on the 10pm off license limit 478 votes

Agree, correct decision from our government
    0%
    Disagree, incorrect decision from our government
    8%
    SlydiceLocolawhecRuu_Old[Deleted User]positronGeorgeBaileyTar.Aldarionmdebetsfacemandave_irelanddsmythyDozen Wicked Wordsgsxr1Sea DevilsKev_ps3dibs101RepublicanEaglestevensiKimono-Girl 43 votes
    Don't realy know, neutral vote
    91%
    Catch_22D-GenerateReconSte.phenKarl HungusThe_KeeperDont be at yourselfZascarCiaranCentropiKintarō HattorigurramokdazberryBottle_of_SmokeDrag00n79Brian CivilEngbanquopickarooneychakothaHelix 435 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I must say I would be interested to hear off Fuaranach. Why do some believe that it was a good decision?

I find it ridiculas that people can't buy a few cans after a hard days work. I know some might say that you can just stock up before hand but what if you wanted to go straight from work to a friends house for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It gives Nannys a bad name, Nannys are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭High energy

Get some drugs.

Drug dealers usually have more sociable hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

one of the more stupid laws ever passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Was funny when you could buy basically class A drugs at a headshop legally until 4 in the morning but you couldn't get a can of beer after 10pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Mr Marston

You have to find yourself a decent local where they give you cans when you're leaving, regardless of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭khmk

Its a joke.

Another short sighted, meaningless decision brought in by clowns trying to pander to the dicks who kept voting them in.

I mean what the fuuck is it going to solve by closing earlier?

What a load of shiite.

blah blah blah im sick of talking about it.

I can't wait for these ff supporting cuunts to die off,

I have 2 rifles and an itchy trigger finger.

can i bring these to the voting booth when the election is on?

or should i just bring a pen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

khmk wrote: »
    Another short sighted, meaningless decision brought in by clowns trying to pander to the dicks who kept voting them in.

Fianna Fáil, the publican party

ff,

cos everything feels good when you bury your head in the sand and just cling on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Stock up on booze when you're doing the shopping.

• Advertisement

Töpher wrote: »

ok, but what if you finish work at 10pm and as an adult you want to have a drink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I do disagree with the ridiculous 10pm closing times of off licenses but if you know you're going to working a 15 hour shift and know you're going to want a drink than maybe get it before work or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

stock up on thursday doing the shopping? It will be drank before saturday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

ok, but what if you finish work at 10pm and as an adult you want to have a drink?

pre plan.

I often finish later than that, like many folks on here I do all sorts of ridiculous hours, but as a responsible adult I make sure that I keep the house well stocked. :p

I'm not supporting the notion of the after 10PM ban on sales of alcohol, I think it's over the top. However, so is the notion that people think you can't have a drink. You can if you either stock up when you're shopping, or if you don't trust yourself to have it lying around the house then buy it before starting your shift that finishes too late for the offie.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

Rabies wrote: »
    pre plan.

why should we have to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Im not sure that it is the nanny as much as it is a political decision to help out the publicans. If you cant get a carry out then you have to go into a pub and pay for a extortionately priced pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

why should we have to?

because you currently can't currently buy alcohol at spur of the moment 24/7. So for now, pre plan because you have to.

Even if trading hours for off licences were extended by 2hrs to suit those that work shifts, then some poor bastard would complain he can't get alcohol when his shift finished at 1am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You're trusted to get drunk in a pub and wander the streets trying to get a taxi home but yet not trusted to behave yourself at home.

Sooner the better the FF publican party are wiped out, we'll get our democracy back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm all for the 10pm closing as it pisses off so many people, and I'm an asshole like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

gurramok wrote: »
    You're trusted to get drunk in a pub and wander the streets trying to get a taxi home but yet not trusted to behave yourself at home!

It has nothing to do with trust, it was introduced at the behest of the publicans who were losing business to the off-licences as people were sick of pub drink prices and were drinking at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

I see those those lazy fcuks of pub owners are still at it with their latest advt for the "Dublin Pub".

Setting it up as "a grand place entirely" where your friendly mine host enquires about your wellbeing and you conduct your social life in the company of friendly "salt of the earth" types..who are only too eager to do you a good turn.

The reality is that you are most likely to encounter a sour faced barman who slings your drink at at close on 5 eurons a pint...stiffs you with "pub sized" mixers all in the company of people who would make the Rock Apes of Gibralter seem like the height of sophistication..

Someone should tell these cnunts the game is up - the worm has turned - and that they have, in the time hounoured Irish tradition

Killed the Goose that laid the Golden Egg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I often finish later than that, like many folks on here I do all sorts of ridiculous hours, but as a responsible adult I make sure that I keep the house well stocked. :p

Funnily enough I am also unable to purchase alcohol at this time of the day either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Its mental. It serves as nothing more than an inconvenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

At first I was totally against it however now I am beginning to see the cash saving advantages of it.

Before it was imposed I would rush off get cans last minute in the offie and pay what ever they were charging.

Since its imposition I now get them during the day with the rest of my shopping taking my time and check out special offers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I'm not supporting the notion of the after 10PM ban on sales of alcohol, I think it's over the top. However, so is the notion that people think you can't have a drink. You can if you either stock up when you're shopping, or if you don't trust yourself to have it lying around the house then buy it before starting your shift that finishes too late for the offie.

I don't know about you but I'm usually not in a drinking mood when i'm on the way into work. Its something that clicks half way through the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Its a ridiculous law. If I or anybody else wants to buy a few beers from any business whose willing to sell it to me, at any hour of the day, who elses business is that?
    One things for sure, if they scrapped the time constraints on off-sales in this country literally thousands of new jobs would be created overnight. Oh, but wait, i forgot, our glorious leaders dont give a crap about getting this country back to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Typical of our government. Rather than dealing with the real issue (pub prices) they impose a stupid nanny law that solves nothing and is actually an insult to our rights and the rights of an off license owner.

Some of the people calling for the after 10pm ban claimed it was to clamp down on anti-social behaviour which makes no sense and if that was reallly the case the off licenses should have been closed altogether.

But it's not the case it's just a lazy useless government. And we see this shoite from them time and again.

dan1895 wrote: »
    I don't know about you but I'm usually not in a drinking mood when i'm on the way into work. Its something that clicks half way through the day.

Yeah, but I make sure I have something just in case as odds are I know from experience that the day at work will drive me to it. As I said, I don't support this law at all, but folk complaining that they're being prevented from drinking is just incorrect. It's just more inconvenient.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Think that's bad? I can't buy beer after six o'clock in my local because they sell petrol. It requires a special brand of Sarkozian logic to come up with something as ludicrous as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

It's a bloody daft law that makes no sense.
    They might as well just have made it illegal to buy turnips in the month of Febuary.
    It makes about as much sense and does roughly the same to combat underage and binge drinking.

Caoimhín wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with trust, it was introduced at the behest of the publicans who were losing business to the off-licences as people were sick of pub drink prices and were drinking at home.

Agree, I was pointing out the irony of it all which this law was nothing to do with 'fighting alcoholism'.

And yeh, off-licences continue to have good business and yet pubs are still suffering because(mostly) of price conscious customers.

Let me see.....

Nanny law.......less battered people.

No nanny law......more battered people.

Those spoilsport bastard alcohol addicts, with their violent behaviour when drunk and their neglecting chiddlers and their breaking windows and stealing traffic cones. Those useless waster *****, it's cos of them and their alcohol diseases that decent people can't go and have a quiet pint whatever time they want night or day. Anyone with an alcohol related disease should be put on an alcohol drip till they die of alcohol poisoning, them spoilsport bastards.

Spoilin our buzz, the bastards. I'd bate the hed of them.

(rant relates to all licencing laws)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

I can't - I do the weekly shopping on a Sunday morning (as Saturday's bedlam, and I'm still lucky enough to have that work thing on week-days). Unfortunately, the government seems to think that it is irresponsible to purchase alcohol on Sunday mornings, so I have to make a second trip at a time that the government feels is a more suitable time.

What we need is not more nanny state rules about what you can and can't do, but more punishment for those who misbehave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

If I had to go into the local shop in the morning and buy a load of cans of beer then my neighbors might just begin to suspect that I have Alcohol Dependency Syndrome. And that's something that is just between me and the rest of the lads that go to the meetings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I used to be against it but I'm very much for it nowadays although it's a very uneven law given the licensing laws for pubs/clubs and the lacking impact that the Drink Aware campaign has in Ireland.

Ireland has a massive alcohol problem. It's one of the highest costs and burden to the health service, and a large 'acceptable' destroyer and taker of lives too.

That's not to say the vast majority of people suffer from alcohol abuse, but a significant percentage of drinkers in Ireland do. Is it acceptable to forego them for the sake of someone else being permitted to buy a late off sale instead?

We know that most alcohol related strains on the health service and emergency services occur late at night. Therefore a curtailment of late night off sales makes sense although it is a weak curtailment given the lack of responsibility taken by many pubs and clubs to not serve drunk punters.

The argument that the curtailment discriminates against those who work shift doesn't wash. Many other shops and services such as banks, post offices and hairdressers open for less hours than off licenses but you never hear any issue over that

Essentially if you work shift you can plan ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

I think we should vote for whoever uses as their sole campaign slogan the
    desire to remove the 10pm curfew :cool: As for the rest of their policies,
    I'm sure they can be trusted to deal with them, after all - we did vote
    them in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

There have been nights after clearing a 15 hour shift I've had a few quiet pints on my own or chatting to the barman but again, after 10pm I cannot take drink at home as I cannot be trusted :rolleyes:

Pretty simple to plan ahead boss. Get a few cans when you're shopping and keep the fridge stocked. There are no shops open within walking distance of me at that hour anyway, I couldn't even buy a litre of milk.... they mustn't trust me with a box of Frosties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Is it really that much of a big deal?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Damn lousy cockblocking gubbernment.
    Wait.
    What are we talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

to be honest, be prepared and have booze in the house just in case you cant make it to the offo, its not hard to be prepared.. If the offo closing time was 11pm people would complain anyway and want it put to 12...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Stupid law from the Publican Party disguised as nanny state bulls hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Im not sure that it is the nanny as much as it is a political decision to help out the publicans. If you cant get a carry out then you have to go into a pub and pay for a extortionately priced pint.

And then there are many who leave the pub before 10 purely in order to make the offy for the afters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

I've been caught out on more than one occasion and it sucks!

I might also add that it happened more so when I was working 60/70 hours when I was self employed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Think that's bad? I can't buy beer after six o'clock in my local because they sell petrol. It requires a special brand of Sarkozian logic to come up with something as ludicrous as that.

Yeah but when you turn on your tap wine comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

prinz wrote: »
    Pretty simple to plan ahead boss. Get a few cans when you're shopping and keep the fridge stocked. There are no shops open within walking distance of me at that hour anyway, I couldn't even buy a litre of milk.... they mustn't trust me with a box of Frosties.

But there's no law stopping the shops from selling you a pint of milk. There is a law stopping the shop selling you from selling you something that contains more than trace amounts of ethanol.

Personally I've a bigger problem with the morning ban than the evening ban. If I want to purchase alcohol I have to make an explicit extra trip out to the shops to buy it just because they don't trust you to buy it in the mornings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

But there's no law stopping the shops from selling you a pint of milk. There is a law stopping the shop selling you from selling you something that contains more than trace amounts of ethanol.

Personally I've a bigger problem with the morning ban than the evening ban. If I want to purchase alcohol I have to make an explicit extra trip out to the shops to buy it just because they don't trust you to buy it in the mornings.

There should be a law against usernames like yours :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Proper order I say. Selling drink on a holy Sunday morning before Mass, we can't be trusted us Irish as we'd only go out and buy a rake of cans and start drinking in the ditch and then won't go home when our dinner's ready and the roast is burnt to a crisp and then fed to the dog who gets piles from burnt meat. And as for selling drink after 10, go way to hell, sure we'd only be buying it for the young wans and then any cans we drink ourselves is in the hedges before heading to nightclubs to kick the heads of each other and dance to shi+e Girls Aloud music which angries up the blood even more so much so that no one can order a bag of chips afterwards with the fights that does be happening not to mention the foreign bands that does be slippin in rivers of puke on Paddy's Day whilst trying to embrace the hospitality instead of having their accordians wrapped around them by 12 year old who got drink from ye last night.

No. Close them all I say...... (or leave them open 24 hours, that could solve the recession and the need to buy 16 crates of Bulmers at the 1 time).

Grimes wrote: »
    Is it really that much of a big deal?

Yes. I was caught out by it on a few occasions, very annoying. Now I do stock up on the weekly shop and guess what, thats made me drink more. Totally opposite of what this stupid law was suppose to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

So what? The central point is that I have to plan around it. Big deal.
    gurramok wrote: »
    Now I do stock up on the weekly shop and guess what, thats made me drink more. Totally opposite of what this stupid law was suppose to do.

In fairness, you make yourself drink more. Nothing else. It's irrelevant whether your fridge is full of drink from top to bottom or whether you can go buy in an offie at 11pm. The only person responsible for the amount of drink is you yourself. That precise abdication of personal responsibility is why they have laws such as the off licensing times to begin with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement