Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off licenses closing at 10pm and nanny state

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

Don't realy know, neutral vote
    poisonated wrote: »
    311 people disagree with this law. 27 people agree with it. 9 people are on the fence. I'm wondering if this is a reflection of the people who frequent boards or if Ireland was to have a vote in a few days, would the outcome be similar?

probably not the latter :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Pro tip: stock up on a drink that you don't enjoy, that way you won't be tempted to guzzle it all, but if you have the urgent need to get pissed - you still have options.

Does not work as when I want a drink I enjoy, the offy does be closed after 10pm hence the stocking up beforehand! I'm hardly going to waste my hard earned dough on a crappy drink?:eek:
    finty wrote:
    Funniest post I've seen on boards in a long while.

It was a joke right?

Nope! I ain't no alco either ;), haven't had a drink since Tuesday and before that was Saturday.

I just want the choice to go out and buy a drink after 10pm. I don't have that so I have to stock up and hence the odd extra night a week(stress this here) I do have a few of those cans in the fridge. Never did that before when not stocked up beforehand hence my alcohol consumption is up thanks to the ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I went home to Ireland to visit a mate and couldn't believe the offie closed at 10 :mad: what a load of sh!te.

I usually stock up on a crate of beer but don't decimate the whole thing in one night :)

If were stuck, we call De Bier Taxi :D
    http://www.de-biertaxi.nl/

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Disagree, incorrect decision from our government
    I clicked the wrong box damn,.

I disagree if they want to bleed us of all the money we have and least let the irish do something we are good at and let us drink when we want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

BASHIR wrote: »
    So in my opinion i feel it is definitely a silly rule brought in just to be seen to be tackling this binge drinking 'problem' that is affecting all our lives.

It was brought in for the publicans benefit. The health of the nation has nothing to do with it. If it did the pubs would be shut at 10pm also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I disagree with you on the whole binge drinking issue to be honest, myself like the vast majority of people enjoy a few beers on the weekend, and often get drunk. the definition of binge drinking is 'Binge drinking is the modern definition of drinking alcoholic beverages with the primary intention of becoming intoxicated by heavy consumption of alcohol over a short period of time.'

I go to college all week and do work, and lead a very normal life.
    In comparison, a very close reletive who died of alcoholism drank everyday and always managed to be drunk every day. This is alcohol abuse and will not be affected by the 10pm rule.
    So in my opinion i feel it is definitely a silly rule brought in just to be seen to be tackling this binge drinking 'problem' that is affecting all our lives.

ps sorry to pick on your post jus i disagree with you a little :p

Im not following what your point is though? Are you saying that only people who drink everyday and get plastered are the only people who have alcohol problems and thus are the only people who burden the health sector and emergency services???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

If you want to abuse alcohol, it can still be easily done..

And if you want to be able to have your few drinks at home it can also still easily be done. I almost always have a few cans of something in the fridge in case I want a drink while watching a film or a football match or something, but if it's past 10 and I have none it's not going to bother me all that much, the same as running out of milk and the shops being closed. I find it odd that somebody would be that upset about not having access to an off-license tbh, and after it happens once you'd think they'd just sort themselves out and plan ahead, again not difficult. This issue is really showing up the sort of screwed up relationship Irish people have with drink tbh, it's sad that someone drinks more if they have booze in the fridge. If that was me, I'd be getting concerned tbh.
    faceman wrote: »
    Are you saying that only people who drink everyday and get plastered are the only people who have alcohol problems and thus are the only people who burden the health sector and emergency services???

Unfortunately that is the prevailing attitude that I for one have come across in Ireland. It's a burrying your head in the sand technique. Alcoholics are only the homeless guys you see on benches drinking the last drops out of a can of cider..... being unable to fathom a social night out without alcohol - that's just being Irish and having 'the craic', being unable to see beer in your fridge without drinking it.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I went home to Ireland to visit a mate and couldn't believe the offie closed at 10 :mad: what a load of sh!te.

I usually stock up on a crate of beer but don't decimate the whole thing in one night :)

If were stuck, we call De Bier Taxi :D
    http://www.de-biertaxi.nl/

Hehe, sometimes, just sometimes, I miss Eindhoven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The US has less alcohol problems than Europe. That's not hearsay. There are numerous alcohol studies which confirm it
    Also hearsay without any links. Source?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Are there no delivery services after 10pm?

One of the delivery services here deliver until 4am which is handy if you end up throwing a spontaneous party and have little drink in the house. 10pm is a bit of a joke, can get drink here any time and bars are open all night... and guess what, society still functions! Hardly ever see a fight on the street here. Closing bars at a certain time just leads to everyone on the street at the same time and this leads to a lot of needless drunken fights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

prinz wrote: »
    Unfortunately that is the prevailing attitude that I for one have come across in Ireland. It's a burrying your head in the sane technique. Alcoholics are only the homeless guys you see on benches drinking the last drops out of a can of cider..... being unable to fathom a social night out without alcohol - that's just being Irish and having 'the craic', being unable to see beer in your fridge without drinking it.....

Dead right. I totally agree with any measures that are taken to put a stop to the many, many problems caused by alcohol in this country.

I lived in Switzerland for 3 months when I was 21 years of age and it completely shaped my attitude to alcohol. I drink socially, in moderation and responsibly. A few weekends ago, we were out in Dublin city centre and I saw something that encapsulated irish people and drink. At about 01.00am, we were walking down Capel Street and there were 5 people, mid 20s, in front of us and they were plastered. 2 of the "ladies" were stumbling on and off the road. 3 crossdressers came out of a bar and the group of 5 and some others nearby jeered the crossdressers, as they walked down the street. What struck me as amazing was the fact that the crossdressers were looked upon as something socially unacceptable, yet 5 adults hammered is perfectly acceptable.

My better half is a junior doctor and 75% or so of the cases she sees on weekend nights are alcohol related. She is not irish and is stunned by the attitude of the parents in relation to drunk teenagers. Most go off on a anti-government rant and all bar most blame everyone else except their son/daughter and themselves.

On a side note, I thought this country was in recession and the savage budget last week has people living in proverty! I live in the city centre and certainly have noticed any drop in the level drunk people over the past 2 years or so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

28064212 wrote: »
    Also hearsay without any links. Source?

Plenty, here's one.

http://www.higheredcenter.org/services/assistance/faq/are-there-fewer-alcohol-related-problems-countries-where-youth-are-allowed-d

You'll get data on the WHO and EU websites too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭RepublicanEagle

No problem with it, it stops all the idiots getting more pissed as the night goes on, and stop complaining about not having the time to go before ten because of work or some other bull**** excuse, my work shifts end at 10 and I easily found time during the day to buy some alcohol.

I noticed when studying in France that they close at 9.30pm-10.00pm. I didn't hear people bitching and moaning about the opening hours when I was there. So yeah it all has to with this country's obsession with alcohol and ****ing moaning and whinging.

Ireland needs to grow the **** up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I'd say 11:30 pm is the time it should be, no later I'd imagine. 10 o clock is a bit too early, if the government was really concerned abou public safety pubs and nightclubs would have to close at the same time.

That's possibly the worst link you could have given. It's the US Department of Education, wow clearly they're going to say the 21 Age limit for drinking is 100% correct, the Europeans should copy us because we know best so there". Seriously you're linking us to a page of a government that tries you as an adult at 18 and can execute you but refuses to serve you alcohol. That page is laughable, I'm sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Im not following what your point is though? Are you saying that only people who drink everyday and get plastered are the only people who have alcohol problems and thus are the only people who burden the health sector and emergency services???

No of course not thats not what I was getting at at all, it was the fact and the topic under discussion. That the 10 o clock law does very little to fight these problems that you mention. these problems existed before the rule and still remain to now.
    I feel it was a very weak attempt by our government to battle 'binge drinking'. Binge drinking has been around since alcohol was available, and it is a modern word put on problems that have always been associated with drink.
    There is a very large percentage of this and other populations that binge drink yet it is a very small percentage of these people that cause the problems. The penalties of being drunk and disorderly, or drink driving should be so much stricter these rules could force people to be more sensible when enjoying alcohol and hopefully alleviate the burden on our emergency services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭marglin

10 o clock is just stupid, its purely for the publicans benefit,

having said that i lived in london fo rthe summer and having 24 hour offies leads to many early morning/morning/noon/afternoon extended sessions from the night before.

not healthy i know, but i did it in my home, relatively safely and after all im an adult, free to make my own choices, be they bad or good, once they dont infringe on others freedoms, which drinking generally doesnt.

11 would be a bit more reasonable, especially fo rthose people who have hectic long days and simply cant get to the offies before ten

il admit our attitude(my own even) to alcohol is not the best but lookit im young, il learn, hopefully:rolleyes:......(reaches for can).....(its empty):mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

I think its a ridiculous rule, half eleven would be fine.

However I was recently in Sweden, and off licences there close at 7 during the week, and 3 o clock on a saturday... :eek:

The queue was coming out the door at around a quarter to 3.... And I think its closed on a sunday.

So it could be worse here! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Anyone saying that off-licenses should be allowed open later (11, half 11), doesn't understand the debate. Any argument that's valid against or for 10 as a closing time is equally valid against or for any other time.

Is there any other product that the state restricts selling times? Are businesses only allowed sell cars 9-5?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Maybe a better option would be to have a breathalyser test at the off-licence -- make it so that if you want to purchase alcohol you have to be (reasonably) sober. Also make it an offense to purchase alcohol on behalf of a drunk person (the same way it is illegal to purchase alcohol on behalf of a person who is too young) -- actually, isn't this already an (unenforced) law already?

This way, we actually target the problem (apply nanny state rules to the binge drinkers) while those responsible enough to look after themselves are left alone to purchase alcohol if/when they like, whether that's in the morning or night time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭thenutflush

I think it should be raised to 11 pm at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Maybe a better option would be to have a breathalyser test at the off-licence -- make it so that if you want to purchase alcohol you have to be (reasonably) sober. Also make it an offense to purchase alcohol on behalf of a drunk person (the same way it is illegal to purchase alcohol on behalf of a person who is too young) -- actually, isn't this already an (unenforced) law already?

This way, we actually target the problem (apply nanny state rules to the binge drinkers) while those responsible enough to look after themselves are left alone to purchase alcohol if/when they like, whether that's in the morning or night time.

How about you just let the shop decide when it wants to open and let Darwin awards sort the idiots out.

IMO with too many rules you turn people into total retards.

i.e. There was an Irish lad after climbing into one of the empty vats in Heineken Amsterdam one day because 'there was no sign'

Then he proceeded to complain about there not being any sign.

How about you just let the shop decide when it wants to open and let Darwin awards sort the idiots out.

IMO with too many rules you turn people into total retards.

i.e. There was an Irish lad after climbing into one of the empty vats in Heineken Amsterdam one day because 'there was no sign'

Then he proceeded to complain about there not being any sign.

Oh absolutely, I agree with you. It was my compromise so that those who feel it is the Governments duty to wrap us all in cotton wool and make sure that we can't do anything to hurt ourselves will still get some protection while those of us who are able to stand on our own two feet can live life to the full.

This springs to mind, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

I think the reason why alot of people have an issue with the new law is because for years off-licences were open till 11.30 and 12.30am on friday/saturday. Which was the same time as the pubs hours. That worked and it made sense as alot of pubs had off-licenses in the same premises.

This new law changes nothing. We all know that. It just causes an inconvenience to people who may of wanted a few drinks after 10pm.

And when you actually think about it by closing it earlier (90mins-2hr30mins depending on the day) how does that really cut back on binge drinking?
    Same person who starts drinking at say 11pm (an example) would just get cans earlier before 10pm and start drinking at their usual time :rolleyes:

And if its to stop people from being in a pub then getting cans? ... they would just leave the pub earlier / get them earlier and put them behind the bar or even some pubs even sell drinks after 10pm if they know you.

What does it change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

It's a back-scratch from the government to the publicans' lobby. Isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭stevejr

jd007 wrote: »
    I do disagree with the ridiculous 10pm closing times of off licenses but if you know you're going to working a 15 hour shift and know you're going to want a drink than maybe get it before work or something?

10pm minus 15hours = 7am and you can't buy it then either.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Advertisement

I'd say 11:30 pm is the time it should be, no later I'd imagine. 10 o clock is a bit too early, if the government was really concerned abou public safety pubs and nightclubs would have to close at the same time.

That's possibly the worst link you could have given. It's the US Department of Education, wow clearly they're going to say the 21 Age limit for drinking is 100% correct, the Europeans should copy us because we know best so there". Seriously you're linking us to a page of a government that tries you as an adult at 18 and can execute you but refuses to serve you alcohol. That page is laughable, I'm sorry.

Yeah sure.
    I get the impression that no matter what literature you read you wont accept it anyway.
    No of course not thats not what I was getting at at all, it was the fact and the topic under discussion. That the 10 o clock law does very little to fight these problems that you mention. these problems existed before the rule and still remain to now.
    I feel it was a very weak attempt by our government to battle 'binge drinking'. Binge drinking has been around since alcohol was available, and it is a modern word put on problems that have always been associated with drink.
    There is a very large percentage of this and other populations that binge drink yet it is a very small percentage of these people that cause the problems. The penalties of being drunk and disorderly, or drink driving should be so much stricter these rules could force people to be more sensible when enjoying alcohol and hopefully alleviate the burden on our emergency services.

That makes sense. I cant really disagree with most of your points. And in fairness, we dont have any data relevent to Ireland to show if earlier closing of offies has made any difference.

i do disagree with your point of stronger penalities for D&D behaviour. I dont think it will make any difference to behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Paddies can't handle drink and have no self control around drink.

I say change it to 9pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Paddies can't handle drink and have no self control around drink.

I say change it to 9pm.

What about people who aren't called Paddy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Alcohol Advisory Board came up with about 20 recommendations to curb the alleged problem with binge drinking - most of their recommendations would have caused these sort of threads to be 50 pages long rather than 4 or 5.

Stuff like a massive increase in excise duty, a minimum price that could be charged per unit, banning of advertising, banning of multiple purchase discounts, reduction in the number of licensed premises, increase in the drinking age, etc etc.

The government couldn't totally ignore all their recommendations though, and went with the least troublesome, the setting up of drinkaware.ie, some new rules on advertising, and the 10pm closure of off-licenses.

The government played this one ok imo.

Stock up on alcohol. My trick is to always have a bottle of something I don't particularly like around the house, in my case whiskey. So I'll still make sure to buy the beer/vodka I want, but if circumstances conspire against me I always have a fallback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Copper23 wrote: »
    I don't get the fuss.

You know they close at 10. Just buy it when ever you go shopping.

Thats like saying, Oh I wanted a Twix bar but I was working until 10pm and the corner shop closes at 9pm. It's not like you starve, just go shopping and buy wheatver you need for the week like a normal person.

If you knwo you're working a late shift and aren't out before 10 then buy a few cans beforehand, it's fairly obvious really.

But why should there be a limit? Maybe chocolate should only be sold from 2 pm to 6 pm, and crisps from 9 am to 1 pm, and cigarettes from 6 pm to midnight, and soft drinks from 3 pm to 8 pm - after all, you know the time limits, so just organise your shopping around these arbitrary and pointless times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Alcohol Advisory Board came up with about 20 recommendations to curb the alleged problem with binge drinking - most of their recommendations would have caused these sort of threads to be 50 pages long rather than 4 or 5.

Stuff like a massive increase in excise duty, a minimum price that could be charged per unit, banning of advertising, banning of multiple purchase discounts, reduction in the number of licensed premises, increase in the drinking age, etc etc.

The government couldn't totally ignore all their recommendations though, and went with the least troublesome, the setting up of drinkaware.ie, some new rules on advertising, and the 10pm closure of off-licenses.

The government played this one ok imo.

Stock up on alcohol. My trick is to always have a bottle of something I don't particularly like around the house, in my case whiskey. So I'll still make sure to buy the beer/vodka I want, but if circumstances conspire against me I always have a fallback.
    So, in other words, high alcohol prices make people behave like alcoholics - if I could get a good pint for €2.50 I'd always drink in the pub, but it's so dear that instead I end up calculating that my local supermarket will sell 8 Litres of 4.9% beer for €15, or 700 ml of vodka for €12, and I probably end up drinking more than I would than if alcohol were cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

stevejr wrote: »
    10pm minus 15hours = 7am and you can't buy it then either.

Don't get me started on the opening hours!!! What about those who like one with breakfast? We have to buy in advance as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

goose2005 wrote: »
    So, in other words, high alcohol prices make people behave like alcoholics - if I could get a good pint for €2.50 I'd always drink in the pub, but it's so dear that instead I end up calculating that my local supermarket will sell 8 Litres of 4.9% beer for €15, or 700 ml of vodka for €12, and I probably end up drinking more than I would than if alcohol were cheap.

I'm genuinely not sure what point you were making, did you mean to reply to my post?

All I was giving was a small bit of history of how the 10pm rule came about - how it wasn't something that happened in isolation. One of the customers in my job (software stock control) is a major importer of alcohol and tobacco so they kept me aware at the time of what was happening and I thought it was fascinating. The goverment had the 'do gooder' lobby and medical lobby on one side insisting on ridiculous new rules to protect the children or whatever, the business community on the other hand who wanted the status quo and the customers who were also quite content with the situation as well.

Its too simplistic to blame this on the publican/FF thing, if this was true then the government could quite easily have gone with the recommendation that no unit of alcohol could be sold for less than €2, which wouldn't have affected pubs but would have crippled OLs.

i do disagree with your point of stronger penalities for D&D behaviour. I dont think it will make any difference to behaviour.

If the penalty for D&D behaviour was something like 3 months community service going through "night club" areas (like Temple Bar) cleaning up the mess left behind during the time that the drinking sessions are on every single night, how many times do you think somebody would do it?

Percentage salary based fines would be a good way of handling it as well (in addition, not instead of community service) -- and those on social welfare who commit these crimes could have their social welfare money replaced with food stamps that are not valid for alcohol purchases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Obviously if people like the OP could control themselves issues like this would never have arisen :rolleyes: Some people can't live without the sauce.

Don't get me started on the opening hours!!! What about those who like one with breakfast? We have to buy in advance as well

Ah yes, the old beer-cornflakes hangover cure!:D

johnn wrote: »
    Obviously if people like the OP could control themselves issues like this would never have arisen :rolleyes: Some people can't live without the sauce.

Think that's a bit over the top tbh,from my reading of it the OP is just expressing the opinion that he would like to have the option to purchase alcohol after 10pm. Very reasonable considering Pubs/Clubs serve it well beyond that time. His self "control" doesn't come into the equation.

If the penalty for D&D behaviour was something like 3 months community service going through "night club" areas (like Temple Bar) cleaning up the mess left behind during the time that the drinking sessions are on every single night, how many times do you think somebody would do it?

Percentage salary based fines would be a good way of handling it as well (in addition, not instead of community service) -- and those on social welfare who commit these crimes could have their social welfare money replaced with food stamps that are not valid for alcohol purchases.

Im still not convinced though, when people get hammered rational and logical thinking often goes out the window!

Im still not convinced though, when people get hammered rational and logical thinking often goes out the window!

Maybe it'll discourage them from getting hammered in the first place :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Stupid law. Just no fun after you've been in London buying Red Stripe at 3am for an impromptu house party, or bought a bottle of beer in Berlin for walk to the clubs, where the man in the shop even opened the bottle for you!

• Advertisement

That makes sense. I cant really disagree with most of your points. And in fairness, we dont have any data relevent to Ireland to show if earlier closing of offies has made any difference.

Ya its too soon to see statistics on it, but scotland has also introduced the 10pm rule, and there are also under spotlight for binge drinking problems. I honestly feel it will do little to tackle the problem.

Fair enough if you disagree but, would you agree that people that are violent with drink were to get a rather stern punishment this will lead them to maybe think twice in the future as to how much alcohol they will consume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm the OP, what's the issue?

Read my post again, it was for one or two drinks after working shift. Having a quiet drink on my own.
    Not knocking back cans on the street late at night or having no self control. My post wasn't even a rant
    Think that's a bit over the top tbh,from my reading of it the OP is just expressing the opinion that he would like to have the option to purchase alcohol after 10pm. Very reasonable considering Pubs/Clubs serve it well beyond that time. His self "control" doesn't come into the equation.

Thank you Sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Read my post again, it was for one or two drinks after working shift. Having a quiet drink on my own.
    Not knocking back cans on the street late at night or having no self control. My post wasn't even a rant

Thank you Sir

I dont get why you cant buy drink on the way to your shift, or during your weekly tesco shop and drink it when you get home? If I bought food on an as needed basis id be ranting and raving that the spar down my road closes at 10pm. So to overcome this massive problem I usually buy what I need for the week on a Monday thus solving future food/drink shortages.

Apparently they have fridges in shops now. Works wonders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

Serious deregulation needed in this country.

Grimes wrote: »
    I dont get why you cant buy drink on the way to your shift, or during your weekly tesco shop and drink it when you get home? If I bought food on an as needed basis id be ranting and raving that the spar down my road closes at 10pm. So to overcome this massive problem I usually buy what I need for the week on a Monday thus solving future food/drink shortages.

The point is people do these things on a spur of the moment. The odd time walking home I'd pass an offie an think jez wouldn't mind 1 or 2 bottles too relax in the evening. I don't have this problem cause I finish before 10, but I can see how this is an inconvenience to some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Off licences and bars should be allowed 24 hour licenses. It shouldn't be up to the government to decide when people can buy drink.

So you think it is normal to sit at home on your own getting pissed on a regular basis :confused: Measures such as this are brought in to protect irresponsible people like you from yourself. Sounds to me like you might have a bit of a problem with the booze OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

So you think it is normal to sit at home on your own getting pissed on a regular basis :confused: Measures such as this are brought in to protect irresponsible people like you from yourself. Sounds to me like you might have a bit of a problem with the booze OP.

Wow you read that totally wrong & let your imagination run wild there...

What the hell?? Ridiculous post, read the OPs' posts ffs, why are you so intent on trying to lable this person with your less than subtle insinuations?? He has made it clear that all he is talking about is having a few drinks when he wants and the regulations that prevent that, where does getting "pissed" come into it? Nonsense!

• Advertisement

What the hell?? Ridiculous post, read the OPs' posts ffs, why are you so intent on trying to lable this person with your less than subtle insinuations?? He has made it clear that all he is talking about is having a few drinks when he wants and the regulations that prevent that, where does getting "pissed" come into it? Nonsense!

I think the likes of the OP have ruined things for us responsible drinkers who may like to pick up some wine on the way to a late dinner with friends by getting trashed on his own regularly, obviously it is safer to drink with others, the likes of the OP could be choking on his own vomit indulging in several drinks each night after work. :rolleyes: This is why the government has had to put regulations in place, people with a Laissez-Faire attitude to alcohol such as that of the OP are the type to purchase alcohol for minors waiting outside the off license IMHO, so this needs to be considered also.

Advertisement