Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left bank & Boxing Day

Options
  • 16-12-2010 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Saw an add for Left Bank restaurant in Dundalk Leader where they said "Closed on Christmas Day & Boxing Day". Is it just me or is it a bit bizzare that a Dundalk business would refer to St. Stephen's Day as Boxing Day? As far as I know Boxing Day is a UK holiday & Dundalk is not in the UK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I sometimes cant understand how such idiotic people get into business.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

not really

maybe the owner is english

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

TBH I called it Boxing Day till I was 17, while the rest of my family/friends all called it St. Stephens Day.

The reason, growing up watching Sky TV rather then Irish TV.

I still call it BD the odd time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

West brits it is. Or just confused idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

Please don't stone me for this, but is this still such a big deal? (Genuinely curious, I am really not trying to wind up anyone)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

positron wrote: »
    Please don't stone me for this, but is this still such a big deal? (Genuinely curious, I am really not trying to wind up anyone)!
    It would niggle at me for about 10 seconds,but by the time i had started a thread about on it on boards my anger would have waned somewhat.

OP throw it up on AH and see where it goes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    West brits it is. Or just confused idiots.

Many of your fellow countrymen (Protestants) refer to St.Stephen's Day as Boxing Day - how about a little less bigotry/ignorance? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭kyosushi

LCD wrote: »
    Saw an add for Left Bank restaurant in Dundalk Leader where they said "Closed on Christmas Day & Boxing Day". Is it just me or is it a bit bizzare that a Dundalk business would refer to St. Stephen's Day as Boxing Day? As far as I know Boxing Day is a UK holiday & Dundalk is not in the UK.

A Bizarre business would like to inform the niggled public , west brits and confused idiots who read adds in the Dundalk Leader that the left bank restaurant situated in Dundalk and not in the UK as far as is known will be Closed on Christmas Day & St Stephen's Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Many of your fellow countrymen (Protestants) refer to St.Stephen's Day as Boxing Day - how about a little less bigotry/ignorance? :rolleyes:
    What is ignorant is the ad in the first place tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Does it bother me, a little but nothing major. I do however think it is a bad business decision. Dundalk would be predominately a Republican town I would believe & think refering to St. Stephen's Day as Boxing Day would not go down to well with a lot of the town's inhabitants. I for example have a work colleague who when setting up accounts on sage hates having to enter anywhere in NI as the UK (necessary for VAT numbers). He is a serious racist though & a muppet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The less religious the better IMHO.

Boxing day FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

How about a little more shut the **** up? :pac: <--- This face means it was a joke. So there.

And many a protestant man/woman/child i know refers to the day as St Stephens's day.Let them get off the high horse and treat the country that they are in with a bit of respect and stop the anglicizing of our saints days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Well lets be honest, the food is rotten anyways. Not surprised about the advertisement and lack of skill within that area.

They should also be charged with handing out lethal weapons to children at the dinner table such as hard fish and chicken nuggets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

bigneacy wrote: »
    How about a little more shut the **** up? :pac: <--- This face means it was a joke. So there.

I was responding to Mussolini's post which did not have a face - try reading before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I wouldn't be getting so worked up about it.......from what i know, for an ad to be placed you have to send actual written text copy into the office etc. It was obviously just an over sight by the person in left bank who wrote it up and perhaps spent time in Britain.

I'd be more irked by the person in the Leader who typed it up and didn't rectify it to be honest..........but then from what i've seen of the Leader in terms of basic spelling grammer etc..........there is no fear of anyone being headhunted by the Irish Times just yet !!

LOL it's exaggerated and imagined slights like this that start wars you know !!!!!! See it for what it is ppl !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

LCD wrote: »
    Does it bother me, a little but nothing major. I do however think it is a bad business decision. Dundalk would be predominately a Republican town I would believe & think refering to St. Stephen's Day as Boxing Day would not go down to well with a lot of the town's inhabitants. I for example have a work colleague who when setting up accounts on sage hates having to enter anywhere in NI as the UK (necessary for VAT numbers). He is a serious racist though & a muppet.

i think its a great idea tbh now that i think about it

hopefully it turns the above inhabitants off going to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Correct and St. Stephen is an important saint with members of the Anglican communion, for example - http://www.peppercanister.ie/schedule/

Onesimus wrote: »
    Well lets be honest, the food is rotten anyways. Not surprised about the advertisement and lack of skill within that area.

They should also be charged with handing out lethal weapons to children at the dinner table such as hard fish and chicken nuggets.

Yeah, hard fish should be free on Boxing Day and Gerry Adams should only be paid the minimum wage for serving lethal chicken nuggets to children.

kyosushi wrote: »
    Yeah, hard fish should be free on Boxing Day and Gerry Adams should only be paid the minimum wage for serving lethal chicken nuggets to children.
    :rolleyes:
    Luvin it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mr_staggerlee

father ted is a documentary
    l DO have a horse parked outside

bejaysus and begorrah getting yer panties in a bunch over what, a perceived slight on prescious irelands holy saints.
    get yer priest to start a petition.

the spirit of old el paso lives and breaths in the 'republican town' :D ffs

I use both names intermittently. I've never met anyone who actually cared what it was called.

That said, Boxing Day does sound a lot better than St. Stephen's Day, so I'd rather we all just called it that..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've often seen [Irish] people pulled up for refering to the day as Boxing day. It's always in jest and the comment is something like 'What's a boxing day?'. When it's a foreign friend or colleague that refers to it as Boxing day not an eyelid would be blinked so it's never going to become an international issue.

Boxing day traditionally is the day when the Lords & Ladies of England present their boxes containing gifts/bonuses to their servants so it's understandable that it's still referred to as Boxing day over there.

A quick google indicates that St. Stephens day goes back several hundred years so it's understandable that Irish people would still rather refer to it as 'St Stephens day' rather than an unrelated English tradition, no biggie I'm sure.

As for the topic at hand, it's certainly an oversight as far as the restaurant is concerned but I've eaten in the place a couple of times now and I'd be far more concerned about other aspects of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Maybe the ad was charged by the letter not the word, and they were saving a few cents, as Boxing Day has less letters to pay for.
    Good business sense in these recessionary times I'd say!

As for the topic at hand, it's certainly an oversight as far as the restaurant is concerned but I've eaten in the place a couple of times now and I'd be far more concerned about other aspects of the place.

Yes I can understand your concerns , according to Wikileaks Martin McGuiness is working undercover illegally in the kitchen at the Left Bank restaurant and it was he who put the add in the Dundalk leader and blew his cover by putting Boxing day in the add instead of St Stephen

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

kyosushi wrote: »
    Yes I can understand your concerns , according to Wikileaks Martin McGuiness is working undercover illegally in the kitchen at the Left Bank restaurant and it was he who put the add in the Dundalk leader and blew his cover by putting Boxing day in the add instead of St Stephen

I'm going to remove your access to the forum if you continue to post gibberish.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rhamiel

They all call it boxing day in donegal!!
    A fact that I am quite appalled at :p :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭bnear

I lived in the Uk for a while and catch myself saying boxing day sometimes, I prefer St Stephens Day but as I'm guilty of doing it I can't fault anyone else....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I've no issue with it as a religious or nationality thing but as a business in a republican town right on the border its surely better for them in a business sense to get things like that right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement