Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6970 prices ?

Options
  • 16-12-2010 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

hey guys i was browsing pixmania just looking at some cards and saw this craziness, in america its only $369 why the hell is it that much more here? the thing only competes with a gtx 570 and yet 580's are cheaper

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Release BS. Ignore it and Pix until they get their prices sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

It could be worse,if it was being sent via PC look you would be looking at 1k+ :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

lmao, scan are selling the XFX 6970 for around 342euro delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

im not actually buying one as the performance isnt up to what i expected but that is some serious bs

im not actually buying one as the performance isnt up to what i expected but that is some serious bs
    i ordered one last night mainly cos i wanted a card with more vram than my 5850 for eyefinity, also will be a good improvement on my 5850@stock clocks, ended up having to get a new case too as this stupid thing i have isint big enough for the nutty length of the 6970 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

lmimmfn wrote: »
    i ordered one last night mainly cos i wanted a card with more vram than my 5850 for eyefinity, also will be a good improvement on my 5850@stock clocks, ended up having to get a new case too as this stupid thing i have isint big enough for the nutty length of the 6970 :rolleyes:

What recession;) get two of em...

dwighet wrote: »
    What recession;) get two of em...
    recession, where? lol, its worse than that i got a Corsair Obsidian 700D( great case fecking expensive though ) and while i was at it thought i may as well pick up 6gig of ram, basically could have bought 2 for the amount i spent.

As for 2 :eek: ohhh that would be soo sweet, maybe down the line when theyre cheaper :). My eyefinity is only using a res of 3840x1024 so its not too bad for a single card, if i ever go 3x24" screens though it will cost me a fortune to drive them

Now to flog my 5850 and recoup some of my retail therapy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

lmimmfn wrote: »
    recession, where? lol, its worse than that i got a Corsair Obsidian 700D( great case fecking expensive though ) and while i was at it thought i may as well pick up 6gig of ram, basically could have bought 2 for the amount i spent.

As for 2 :eek: ohhh that would be soo sweet, maybe down the line when theyre cheaper :). My eyefinity is only using a res of 3840x1024 so its not too bad for a single card, if i ever go 3x24" screens though it will cost me a fortune to drive them

Now to flog my 5850 and recoup some of my retail therapy

Nothing like retail therapy.....If you dont lighten the pockets every now and then the pants will fall;)

would your 5850 have more poke than a 6870? or are they nearly on par?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

hey guys i was browsing pixmania just looking at some cards and saw this craziness, in america its only $369 why the hell is it that much more here? the thing only competes with a gtx 570 and yet 580's are cheaper

If you think we're being ripped off compared to america on that, try looking at cars.

Price up a few - you'll see 40-50k difference in prices
    :rolleyes:

If you're in Ireland, you WILL get ripped off for things. Tis the way things work unfortunately.

Nothing like retail therapy.....If you dont lighten the pockets every now and then the pants will fall;)
    lol, ah wasnt my intention in the least, got screwed over last month on tax due to an error, so all presents were on hold, got corrected and i got more back than expected so thought i would treat myself after all the stress lol.
    would your 5850 have more poke than a 6870? or are they nearly on par?
    On stock no, with overclock then i would say it would easily beat a regular stock 6870( of course dependent on whether its an uber 6870 from a good batch ) as it will beat a stock 5870 easily. I can never compare benchmarks with any review sites as i have a 3.8Ghaz OC on my i7 so i always score higher than reviews of cards. You can compare general performance between 5850 and 6870 here - http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-review/19

The 5850 i have is a reference card so the voltage control is unlocked, i only ever max out the overclock when a new 3dmark comes out or when i bought it, but it scores 20500k in vantage and 4715 in 3dmark, gaming wise i only use the OC from CCC, keeps the temps low

A 5850 is about 17% slower than a 5870, a 6870 is about 5% slower than a 5870. So 10% difference is easy to make up with a slight overclock, and mine overclocks way beyond stock 5870 performance. Of course if you wanted you could throw more voltage at it but you'd need a well cooled system, i cant really do that as ive an 8800gt in the rig for physix so it keeps my temps high

Now to wait and spend the christmas benchmarking my 6970 :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement