Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping costs to USA

Options
  • 16-12-2010 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone had any good reports or pointers for cheapish shipping to the USA. We have about 10-12 T-Chest size boxes to ship to Colorado and were just quoted 1300Euro which I think is a tad expensive since I can post a 20kg large box with An Post for 130Euro...

If anyone had any dealing with shipping via Sea and any possible links to companies that might do this, there are no appliances or large items.

thanks for any responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Shipping goes by volume, not weight, so you may want to consider using an post for some bulky but light things. Also, An Post has a cheap rate for books you may want to look into.

We paid 1000 euro to ship 70 cu ft 2 years ago; this was including expert packing- we had some paintings behind glass, a PS3, and delicate crockery- and carrying everything down from our 4th floor flat (no lift) and custom charges. That was with AIM (http://www.aim-moving.com/), but several other quotes were within 150 euro of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭pyzon

Thanks Silja, I didn't know about An Post special shipping for books, will definately look into that as we have lots and lots of books.

Thanks for the link also.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭thecelt

we moved to Ireland from the USA and used this company,
    http://www.paddedwagon.ie/
    we were happy with them and all our stuff got across the ocean in 1 piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭pyzon

Cheers, went with Careline in the end, 1300 for 120cuft, the rest were way out of the ball part 2k + ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 allyearround

@pyzon: I know it's been a few months, but could you rate your experience with careline? We are about to hire them for shipping some household goods to the UK, and I'd like to hear from someone who has used their services before!

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

@pyzon: I know it's been a few months, but could you rate your experience with careline? We are about to hire them for shipping some household goods to the UK, and I'd like to hear from someone who has used their services before!

Cheers!

We have 210 cu ft in transit with careline at the moment!
    So far they have been very good. Their packers were very efficient and helpful.
    Rate was approx €2000 plus insurance @ 3.5% of value of goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kappa77

I've recently hired Careline to ship my home goods while emigrating to another part of Europe. So far they've been late (by the time my shipment left their warehouse it was already past the delivery time in the contract) and then most of my shipment was, in their words, "misplaced". They've been unhelpful, had to be pushed and pushed hard, given me double talk and vague information that told me nothing. They put nothing on paper/email once they knew they were in the wrong and I'm still waiting on two-thirds of my shipment to arrive!

Cheers!

Advertisement