Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Torrent Downloading

Options
  • 16-12-2010 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for a portable device (PDA/Phone/Webbook/other) which I can carry around unobtrusively, and connect to open Wi-Fi networks with. The purpose being, to download.

Primarily, torrents.

Practical example:
    I walk into Starbucks for a cup of coffee in the morning, the device in my pocket connects automatically to the WiFi there, and begins/resumes downloading. Later, I stop in McDonald's, I download a little bit more. By the time I get home, I've got a fully complete version of a whatever, in my pocket.

Now I'm purely talking about taking advantage of the freely provided WiFi, nothing illegal or fancy, and, not having to carry a laptop around in my pocket all day.

Any tips/ideas on what I should be looking for?

(Also; I intend this as a small/casual device, so I'm not aiming for a 3k professional machine or anything!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Mildly edited your post to avoid needing to caution you because we don't allow discussion of illegal activities. Just so you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

Android have alot torrent apps you can for the purpose you need, if you have a different smartphone, not sure if they have one.

I know nokia doesn't but not sure about iphones

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

akamossie wrote: »
    Android have alot torrent apps you can for the purpose you need, if you have a different smartphone, not sure if they have one.

I know nokia doesn't but not sure about iphones
    Well, no.
    http://amorg.aut.bme.hu/projects/symtorrent

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

apologies, i had nokia 7 months ago, and looked for it but couldn't get it at the time.

As an android user i can only confirm with android apps, and yes it is available.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I use my n900 and Transmission to download torrents all the time. It's not perfect, especially if I try to download a few at once, and it will EAT into your battery. The other benift is the n900 plays avi files natively so I can watch them straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I've never got symtorrent to work on an n95 or n97, dunno what's wrong with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

symtorrent works fine for me, though really fast downloads can knacker it. (I've an N97 mini). I suppose you'd be looking at Symbian^3 now if you wanted to stick with Nokia, and I don't know if that has a version.

Advertisement