Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring University

• 16-12-2010 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

I assume this place would be the best to ask, although the people who have actually done it, probably dont frequent here anymore :p:

So, Recession, yada yada, prospect of a FG government etc etc, things aren't looking all that great in terms of prospects for college students/graduates/country in general... so while i have time over christmas, i would like to research transferring my degree, BIS(first year), to a different university, in a different country. Our lecturers are in the face from telling us that people in our field stand the best chance of getting jobs, but im still keeping my options open

So my understanding of the credit system, is if i find a similar course, where my credits count, i can simply slot into whatever year i should be in, in that uni, and carry on as normal. And this is how it works all over europe. Who do i go to about the transfer? Do i contact the new uni directly, or must i go through a hpat(if i were to go to the UK/equivalent)? Or is it something done by someone in UCC?

Also, is there any set in stone system for the transfer of credits to America/Canada/Australia/NZ or english speaking universities in say china or whatever?

Cheers for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Our lecturers are in the face from telling us that people in our field stand the best chance of getting jobs, but im still keeping my options open
    • A lot of 4th years have job offers and some have multiple job offers. Your in a course which attracts the top 5% of LC candidates in a university that is in the top 200 in the world.
    • Companies from many countries are actively recruiting from the course
    • You have next to no college expenses.
    • You are attractive to a large market being English speaking but not English/American, you come across as a novelty in a CV stack.

Your going to find it hard to get a better deal worth uprooting for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Well when you put it that way.... :P

Nah, i do realise that i have it pretty good, i just promised myself that i would at least look into it over christmas, even if it were a worst case scenario type thing.

Also, which to 200 list are you working from? I cant find UCC on this one http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/top-200.html

Not trying to invalidate your point, im just curious, because i know they are a couple of different rank tables at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

http://www.topuniversities.com/university/universitycollegecork#wur

184, but yes, there is a massive variation between those comparisons.

No harm window shopping either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

I assume this place would be the best to ask, although the people who have actually done it, probably dont frequent here anymore :p:

So, Recession, yada yada, prospect of a FG government etc etc, things aren't looking all that great in terms of prospects for college students/graduates/country in general... so while i have time over christmas, i would like to research transferring my degree, BIS(first year), to a different university, in a different country. Our lecturers are in the face from telling us that people in our field stand the best chance of getting jobs, but im still keeping my options open

So my understanding of the credit system, is if i find a similar course, where my credits count, i can simply slot into whatever year i should be in, in that uni, and carry on as normal. And this is how it works all over europe. Who do i go to about the transfer? Do i contact the new uni directly, or must i go through a hpat(if i were to go to the UK/equivalent)? Or is it something done by someone in UCC?

Also, is there any set in stone system for the transfer of credits to America/Canada/Australia/NZ or english speaking universities in say china or whatever?

Cheers for any help :)

It would be on a case-by-case basis. Transferring to a University in Ireland would be easier but I guess that's not what you want.

Also, the fees you will pay in a US/Aus/Can university will dwarf what you are currently paying by at least a factor of 6 and up to a factor of 30 (depending on the university). FG are unlikely to raise fees by that amount!!!

Remember, non-EU students in UCC pay massive fees (circa €15K depending on the course) and you would be in the same boat if you went outside the EU.

And if you go EU, you will have a language problem (and by the looks of things the UK students are not so happy with their fees).

Your course, as someone else has said, does offer you opportunities to go abroad if you are worried about the Irish economy. If you think, you will save money on fees, you won't. College is a nice, cosy, insulated place to be in during a recession, make the most of it and work hard to put yourself in a good position for after you graduate.

But do the research anyway - can't hurt. If it was me, I'd look to finish out here and do a post-grad abroad. If you have good results, there are lots of opportunites for fellowships etc. that will cover your fees (and sometimes even a small stipend).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭JohnyDarko

If its really all about cost then Scotland is the only viable option for you (unless you speak French or German) as they have a completely separate system from the rest of the UK.... no fees and as an Irish student in Scotland you actually pay less to go to university there than you would pay to go to an Irish university. And Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow are all above UCC in the rankings, but I'd still advise against moving... you're already almost a 1/4 of the way through and you have paid work placement in 3rd year like, as well as a good degree.

But ironically any Welsh, English or N.Irish students DO have to pay as the E.U. allows discrimination within a country, but not to E.U. citizens from outside the state :D

French universities are apparently pretty bad according to the internets.... but they have a €120 capitation fee and thats it.

German universities have the same fees for all students, foreign or domestic, but they're pretty cheap (forget what they are exactly, not too high though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 mahad086

hey so I'm a first year student in ul doing business however i missed out doing b.comm in ucc, would i be possible to transfer into second year into ucc ??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

mahad086 wrote: »
    hey so I'm a first year student in ul doing business however i missed out doing b.comm in ucc, would i be possible to transfer into second year into ucc ??

You'd have to talk to the admissions office in UCC to see if you could - I honestly don't know, but they would be the best people to talk to.

Advertisement