Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humidifier - recommendation?

• 16-12-2010 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Hi

Our four-week-old has been having problems with stuffy nose and mucous lately. We have found that saline drops do help but are looking getting a humidifier for use at night to make things a little easier for her.

There are a few on-line shops selling humidifiers but I'd rather get a recommendation than simply buy the first one I come across. Does anyone have any recommendations on a specific make/model or a shop that stocks humidifiers?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

At the moment with the heating on and the horrible dry air I fill a big bowl of water and leave it in the room and it makes a nice difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Thanks Moonbeam. That's my plan at the moment until I find a decent humidifier.

In case anyone else finds themselves looking for one, Argos seems to be the best place from the point of view of choice and availability.

After some research I got the "Honeywell Vase Ultrasonic Humidifier"
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/0432245/Trail/searchtext%3EHUMIDIFIER.htm

This made a huge difference to the air in the rooms and helped her snuffles enormously.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Humidifiers are very useful and we have had some success with one. But please be aware that there are serious precautions you need to take when using one.

Legionnaire's Disease is a real threat if the unit is not cleaned thoroughly and regularly - http://www.jshumidifiers.com/legionnaires-disease-humidifiers-what-you-need-to-know-118-news/

100% agree with Dyflin.

I had read about the need for strict hygiene when using humidifiers and, in fairness to the manufacturer of the device in my post above, there were very clear instructions about daily and weekly cleaning of the unit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Great to see the manufacturers are acting responsibly on the issue. Useful to know if anyone else borrows one or gets it second hand.

Advertisement