Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance Learning...

Options
  • 16-12-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

i have been thinking about going back to college for quite some time now but for two reasons this is not an option, i can't afford to quit my job, which isn't well paid but i'm doing better than i would as a mature student. the other reason i can't do it is i can't seem to find the course i want, that being HVAC engineering.
    i've seen ads here and there for distance learning courses, are they really worth doing or a complete waste of time? do potential employers take them seriously?? i'd really appreciate any thoughts or opinions on this as i need to get my act together and get a qualification...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

I'm in the same boat as yourself as i have a mortgage and just can't quit my job to do a full time course which i would love. Unfortunately the course i have interest in is not offered part time so i will be doing distance learning through NUIG in science and technology and when/if after 4-8 years i get my degree i hope to be in a position to go back full time and enroll in a degree that more suits my interests.

As for if they are any good. Yes they are as i have talked to HR reps from companies and they go by the level of qualification i.e. on the NFQ. I just might add that doing a part time degree requires serious commitment and a lot of work, as you won't have the advantage of attending lectures every day and you will also be working, so study is going to be hard. It also is still expensive but more manageable as some course you can pay as you go by each module.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

If you go for the Distant Learning option, make sure the course is accreditated by a reputable education body, (HETAC, FETAC etc.). A lot aren't which means they mean little/ nothing to employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Take a look at the Open University. (Biggest University in the World)

Quality courses, documented accreditation, respected worldwide.

www.open.ac.uk

Worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

www.open.ac.uk

Worked for me.

And me......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

www.open.ac.uk

Worked for me.
    SilverBell wrote: »
    And me......

Just out of a matter of interest, if you don't mind, can you put down your experience with OU and how the course was seen by your employer and how it helped! Would like to do some courses myself but with such a wide variety and not wanting to waste money some advice would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

derossi wrote: »
    Just out of a matter of interest, if you don't mind, can you put down your experience with OU and how the course was seen by your employer and how it helped! Would like to do some courses myself but with such a wide variety and not wanting to waste money some advice would be great.
    I studied over seven years, taking 2 years off in between and got a BSc. It was looked on well by TCD in getting into their Engineering course. I noticed that the OU in some areas is better at teaching than Trinity.
    The advantage of the OU is that you can programme how you want to spend your time, and plan your year accordingly to fit in with your schedule (hols, ski trips, work), and its schedule (assignments and exams).

My only piece of advice is to research what you want to do, and have an idea of what qualification you want before you begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

derossi wrote: »

My employer was happy to pay for my OU courses (Once I passed of course :-)) Several other employees have had courses from certificate to post grads funded by the company and they are very happy with the results.

My main objective was to keep my skills fresh, adding a complementary qualification to my existing one. I studied a Diploma in Information and communications Technology. The course was very interesting and bang-up to date.

In some ways the most important thing is that most of the courses are accredited by the relevant professional bodies. for example most of the engineering courses are accredited by the IET or similar organisations, allowing you to apply for registration as a Incorporated or Chartered Engineer.

If you are doing an Engineering course from the beginning the first course that you should take is T191, My career as an Engineer, This can be taken at the same time as your first Level 1 course and should guide you to the correct type of course for you.

The OU is much more approachable than other universities, give them a call, they will give you all the help that you need to select the correct courses etc.

Advertisement