Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking pics in the Aviva

• 16-12-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Going to the Leinster game in the Aviva on Saturday night. Thinking of taking my 70-200 2.8 with me. Is it ok to take pics in there, or will security stop me coming in with the camera? Pics are purely for personal use.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You should check your ticket. I think there are terms and conditions on the back which state that photography is not permitted.

I think, with the new stadium, stewards are quite strict on enforcing the rules.

I'm not totally sure though, if you'll be allowed in with the camera. P&S cameras tend to slip in without a problem, but a 70-200mm lens would be easy to spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It's easy enough to sneak in a 70-200.

Effects wrote: »
    It's easy enough to sneak in a 70-200.

While it may be easy to sneak it in, if you're spotted shooting with it, you can be ejected from the stadium, with no recourse.

While it's not a problem to bring a camera and shoot in the RDS, the Aviva stadium is very different (even for us with official accreditation).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

I've been there a few times and seen multiple people snapping away, myself included.

The majority have been with digital cameras but I have seen 1 or 2 SLRs.

Whether or not it's allowed I'm not sure but I definitely didn't see security going around lifting people for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I was meant to go to the Leinster final in Croker earlier this year, never made it in the end but I had inquired about using a camera in the stadium. I was told It'd be fine so long as I didn't interfere with anyone around me, like get in their way or use their head as a tripod :D

Maybe ring ahead and say exactly that, Images will be just for your own personal use. Or, say nothing, take your bag along and fire away. If anyone says anything just put the camera way and say you didn't know. You are allowed use compacts far as I know. Unless you're using a big whopper of a 500mm lens nobody should take notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

It's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I brought my Sony A550 with 70-300 attached to the Leinster Vs Munster match on 2nd October in the Aviva. I was very up front about having it, had it visible hanging on my shoulder as I entered the stadium. Security noticed it and said they weren't sure if I was allowed use it because of the size of the lense, I said that was fine and would put it away, at which point security said to go to my area, look for a supervisor and as them if it was ok. I did that and was told, no problem at all.

So I'd suggest being open about it, co-operate with staff (they're just doing their job) and in a likelihood you won't a have a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I'v brought in 70-200 / 24-105 etc and have no problems what so ever, even when sitting directly beside a steward.

Granted i believe it does say in the Terms and Conditions that you cannot have a lens of more than 1" ( i think, don't quote me ) I've never had a problem the last 4/5 games there, or seen anyone else with a dlsr getting grief. But they do have the power to eject if they want, so just bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOHN_70

I've had a film SLR, in there at the autumn internationals and saw at least 1 other slr user using a long lens, sitting right in front of the stewards, there didn't seem to be any problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Professional Snapperc

kensutz wrote: »
    It's fine.

And you know this, how?

OP, you may or may not get away with using your 70-200 depending on the mood of the steward closest to you. You wont be ejected but you may be asked to put the camera away. Or you may not.

But telling you it's fine is just plain stupid when the t&c's of your ticket dictate otherwise.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Thanks for the replies guys. Reckon I'll bring it along and just put it away if asked. Apparently our seats are close to the action, so hopefully get a few decent shots.

Could make for an interesting game to photograph, especially if it's snowing.

I'm looking forward to hopefully getting some good picts there. At least I know I've no worries getting in with my cameras and lenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I've taken pics in the lower tiers of the north (140) and west (128) stand without problems from the stewards (2.8 70/200). I was seated the whole time though and wasn't continually shooting so I guess I wasn't drawing attention to myself. I spotted a few rebels and a100s and one Nikon w/ telephoto both times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

ive taken pics there with my compact all right.

Nothing on the ticket about cameras at all. I'm on the East stand, lower tier. It's row BB. Anyone know if that's second row from the front, or second from the back? Probably not worth bringing the camera if it's at the back.

Further back, about 27 rows.

kensutz wrote: »
    Further back, about 27 rows.

Rows A-Z then AA-ZZ then AAA-ZZZ ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Going myself this evening, but am off up in the top tier. Not going to bother bringing the camera, more worried about trying to stay warm......

Seats weren't great, right back in the corner of the stand, so was restricted to action in that corner of the field. First time shooting a match though, and enjoyed it. My Dad has season tickets and his seats at RDS are in the second row, so I'll have a go there the next time I go with him.
    Here are a few I took with my 500d and 70-200 2.8

RUGBY1.jpg

RUGBY5.jpg

RUGBY3.jpg

RUGBY4.jpg

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    Going myself this evening, but am off up in the top tier. Not going to bother bringing the camera, more worried about trying to stay warm......

It was bloody freezing at pitch level. No heat at all. My toes were numb, but the rest of me managed to stay warm.

Happy enough with my shots, but due to licensing none will be posted here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Paulw wrote: »
    It was bloody freezing at pitch level. No heat at all. My toes were numb, but the rest of me managed to stay warm.

Happy enough with my shots, but due to licensing none will be posted here.

Was watching out for you Paul, but was so high I couldn't be sure which was you, was guessing that you didn't have a big black lens............

I'll be having a look for your shots, your site?

OT: must say that I really enjoyed tonight in the Aviva, my first visit there, thought it was a pleasure to get into/out of, all really well organised, great atmosphere, we were up in the area reserved for the families/underage club members, the IRFU might have got it wrong for the Nov internationals but somebody deserves praise for tonight.

There were a few photographers there yesterday, a few who post on boards.

Yeah, I've a gallery on my website. Definitely not using black lenses. Mine are nice and white. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

Paulw wrote: »
    There were a few photographers there yesterday, a few who post on boards.

Yeah, I've a gallery on my website. Definitely not using black lenses. Mine are nice and white. :D

were you in my lift? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Third Eye

Just want to say thanks to Paul (who I don't know) for all those words of wisdom on sports photography posted on his website and also enjoyed browsing the photos.

Advertisement