Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting 360 to two TVs

• 16-12-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,221 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know the easiest way of splitting the Component cable from the 360 to two TVs?

I have two TVs in separate rooms, only a few feet apart in 'real' terms. I'm gonna be putting a small hole in the wall between the two rooms and I'm going to use that hole to run cables directly from the Sky box, PS3 and 360 in Room A, to a TV in room B. Both TVs are 1080p capable, so the signal should match up between the two rooms.

I have looked into sorting this for the PS3, and as that is hooked up via HDMI it seems an easy job, just need a HDMI Y splitter and a new HDMI cable.

The 360 seems a little more complicated though.

having a look online but not sure exactly what I would need to buy to get the job done there. From looking at how the 360 is currently set up - I would need to split the Reg, Blue and Green Visual cables and Red and White Audio cables - there appears to be a spare Yellow cable.

I have seen splitters for the RGB connections - but I assume if i use that only, I won't get sound on the second tv, so that will need a splitter for the red/white cables I assume. What is the yellow cable for?

Has anyone done this already, and can provide me a idiot-proof explanation of exactly what I need to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

You have 2 options.
    Use HDMI for the xbox also and use the same setup as the ps3.
    Or
    If you get RGB sliptters you Can connect the other colours to these as thet are just cable, just be sure that you match the colour of the cable from the console to the port on the TV.

The spare yellow cable is the video cable for the scart connector, You are using component if it is spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,221 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kiddums wrote: »
    You have 2 options.
    Use HDMI for the xbox also and use the same setup as the ps3.
    Or
    If you get RGB sliptters you Can connect the other colours to these as thet are just cable, just be sure that you match the colour of the cable from the console to the port on the TV.

The spare yellow cable is the video cable for the scart connector, You are using component if it is spare.

Unfortunately my 360 is one of the later versions of the launch console, so doesn't have a HDMI connection.

I assume something like this will sort out the RGB splitting (RGB Splitter Ebay.ie

Says in the ad it will split one set into two (or two into one) so I assume that would serve my purpose - but would need to buy a lot of male-male or female-female adapters in order to actually connect it the way I want. Would that be right? (would also need two new component cables - such as these to then run to the two tvs.

With regards to the other cables, which i think I need for Audio, I would need something to split the red and white cables to two tvs - exactly what should i be using for this? Doesn't seem to be anything as obvious as the RGB splitter as I posted above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I forgot they made ones without HDMI.

I can't access ebay as I am at work so I don't know if that product is what you'd need.

You will need 2 of those cables from amazon, along with 2 these for the audio.

You will need 5 of these to actually split the feed. You should shop around for prices, I can't do that here.

That makes it a bit clearer alright. Might pop into Maplin just off henry street next week and see if I can get the components there, or in Peats around the corner.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

you could use a ypbr switch, http://www.ambery.com/to1hdcoviyps.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

cant really add much to the contributions above....

but out of curiosity why would you want to do this? Surely the control pads wont work thru the wall?

neacy69 wrote: »

but out of curiosity why would you want to do this? Surely the control pads wont work thru the wall?

i'll check it out, but i know they have worked outside of the room they are currently in - from the hall and similar - so I don't see why it should be that big an issue, they won't be that far from the console.

I will check it out before go about hooking the stuff up.

neacy69 wrote: »

edit - checked both the PS3 and 360 pads from the other room, and both worked. Happy days, part 1 of the plan works.

Oh yeah, as for why.... something to do really. Got a new TV the other day - justifying it by saying i was planning on buying a house some time this year, and would need a decent TV when I moved (the one I currently use for PS3/360 would become the main TV). However, as things stand right now the new TV only has my Sky Digital hooked up via a wireless scart connection, and that connection is kinda sucking. So the first part of the 'upgrade' is to run a cable direct from Sky box to the new tv to get a better signal on that. The second phase will be to run cables from the PS3 and 360 too. Would also have the affect of making the files on my computer viewable on the new TV too.

All utterly unneeded, but a little DIY project for the next couple of weeks - and will result in me being able to veg out in front of the TV in bed playing the 360 or PS3.

Advertisement