Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Pressure and Water Cut off

• 16-12-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi,

With the water cutoffs in Dublin over the last few nights I awake to no heat.

When the water is off the pressure drops to 0 and when the water comes back on around 8am the pressure rises and the heating starts off again as normal.

I thought heating systems were sealed and would not be affected by water cut off straight away. Is there something open in my heating systems that is letting the water drain out of the system.

There is no sign of a leak anywhere and the heating runs fine under normal conditions, other than one rad not really heating.

Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know why I would have a pressure reduction valve at the emersion boiler?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Bubonic wrote: »
    Hi,

With the water cutoffs in Dublin over the last few nights I awake to no heat.

When the water is off the pressure drops to 0 and when the water comes back on around 8am the pressure rises and the heating starts off again as normal.

I thought heating systems were sealed and would not be affected by water cut off straight away. Is there something open in my heating systems that is letting the water drain out of the system.

There is no sign of a leak anywhere and the heating runs fine under normal conditions, other than one rad not really heating.

Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know why I would have a pressure reduction valve at the emersion boiler?

Thanks

Oil or Gas?
    Can you post a pic of the pressure gauge and where the filling loop is? If what you are describing is correct, then it sounds like there is an auto filling loop permanently connected to the system, and either when the pressure drops, the water is backfilling into the mains which is dangerous and illegal, as it'll contaminate you're water supply, or the filling loop is disguising a leak as it keeps the system topped up.

Should be easier to see once you post some pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

there should be a shutoff valve on the rising main - close this valve once the system has been repressurised. normally an in-line valve that would be closed with a screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

Thanks for the responses lads, I'll get some pictures once I get home.

ifah wrote: »
    there should be a shutoff valve on the rising main - close this valve once the system has been repressurised. normally an in-line valve that would be closed with a screwdriver.

It should be permanently disconnected from the mains. It should only be connected as and when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This is a classic case of an auto filling valve being left open to hide leaks..

The baxtards should be outlawed...

Get a plumber... to disconnect the valve fit a filling loop and find the leak...

• Advertisement

Here is a picture of the hot press. The tap on the top right is the inflow to the system as far as I can see.

The piece to the centre left with the Dial side on appears to be a PRV. I don't know what the other taps and things are, there is another pipe not in the picture which appears to go straight up to the attic and it has a tap half way up as well.

There's no PRV there. Chances are its at the boiler. The valve with the dial on it, is that where you are getting you're pressure reading from?

That being the case, there is an NRV below the filling valve which prevents the water returning out of the system in case of a loss of pressure. Have you checked the gate valve on the top right is open?

If all the above is right, then you have a leak in my opinion and you should call a plumber.

There's no PRV there. Chances are its at the boiler. The valve with the dial on it, is that where you are getting you're pressure reading from?

That being the case, there is an NRV below the filling valve which prevents the water returning out of the system in case of a loss of pressure. Have you checked the gate valve on the top right is open?

If all the above is right, then you have a leak in my opinion and you should call a plumber.

Thanks Fingers,

A plumber who looked at the piece the dial on it called it a PRV. I have no clue to be honest.

What does the NRV look like? I am getting the pressure reading from the boiler. Its a gas Baxi Megaflow HE.

The valve at the top right is closed. Should it be open so?

Thanks Fingers,

A plumber who looked at the piece the dial on it called it a PRV. I have no clue to be honest.

What does the NRV look like? I am getting the pressure reading from the boiler. Its a gas Baxi Megaflow HE.

The valve at the top right is closed. Should it be open so?

Ok, Where is you're filling loop? or valve, since you are not getting the pressure reading from the tank. They are ususally located not too far from the pressure gauge and are attached directly to the mains.

The NRV is a Non Return Valve, and is sitting below the gauge in the picture, to prevent water from returning back up the pipe.

Mods, maybe an idea to move this to the P&H forum, as there are a few lads there that will be able to shed a bit more light here.

EDIT: I've just realized that it actually is a PRV, but I was thinking of a pressure relief valve, and not a pressure reducing valve, which it is. Forget what I have said about that valve, but still need to find the filling loop on the system as above. It could be in the press beside the boiler, or near where the expansion vessel is.

Thanks Fingers.

I had a look and the value on the top right is the filling loop. Its open at
    the moment.

When the water is working the pressure gauge at the PRV is reading 1 bar. Is the reading from the supply or in the heating system?

I can't see how there is a leak but its possible I suppose. The heating has been doing this for a week and there is no sign of a problem. My suspicion is that something else is open and is allowing water to leave the system.

The odd thing is that, even with the filling loop closed the system runs fine, so long as the water is on. This part makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement

Thanks Fingers.

I had a look and the value on the top right is the filling loop. Its open at
    the moment.

When the water is working the pressure gauge at the PRV is reading 1 bar. Is the reading from the supply or in the heating system?

I can't see how there is a leak but its possible I suppose. The heating has been doing this for a week and there is no sign of a problem. My suspicion is that something else is open and is allowing water to leave the system.

The odd thing is that, even with the filling loop closed the system runs fine, so long as the water is on. This part makes no sense to me.

I'm not sure tbh. Perhaps ask the mods to move this to P&H. There's a few lads knocking around there that should be able to help

Advertisement