Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you leave a 4 year ab initio Bsc (Hons) in your 3rd year with an ordinary degree?

• 16-12-2010 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Just wondering whether anyone knows whether that is so or not? We have gotten conflicting information from CIT about that. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭ng1

Usually not - unless the BSc. (Hons.) course in question contained an 'embedded award'.

You will need to check this with the Head of Department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

ng1 wrote: »
    Usually not - unless the BSc. (Hons.) course in question contained an 'embedded award'.

You will need to check this with the Head of Department.

Thanks. We were told a year ago it was possible but are now being told it isn't possible - crazy.

You really need to check this with the Head of Department.

You really need to check this with the Head of Department.

Yep, we checked - it's not possible according to the Head of Dept. Oh well, it may not come to pass that it would need to be considered as an option - just looking at worst case scenarios.

In the CIT prospectus, it is explained very clearly to prospective students that students commit to the full four years from the start of the programme in an "ab initio" Honours degree.

With Bachelor Degree programmes of three-years duration (level 7), there is usually an option to add on another year of study to gain an Honours Degree as well as an “exit option” after two years to gain a Higher Certificate ("embedded award").

Personally, I am not aware of any Honours Degree in CIT with the option of leaving after three years with a degree. Usually, it is explained very clearly to prospective students that students commit to the full four years from the start of the programme in an "ab initio" Honours degree.

• Advertisement

In the CIT prospectus, it is explained very clearly to prospective students that students commit to the full four years from the start of the programme in an "ab initio" Honours degree.

With Bachelor Degree programmes of three-years duration (level 7), there is usually an option to add on another year of study to gain an Honours Degree as well as an “exit option” after two years to gain a Higher Certificate ("embedded award").

Personally, I am not aware of any Honours Degree in CIT with the option of leaving after three years with a degree. Usually, it is explained very clearly to prospective students that students commit to the full four years from the start of the programme in an "ab initio" Honours degree.

Is it? You could very well be correct, we checked but didn't see it. What we did do one year ago was email the department and we were at that time told, we still have the email, that early withdrawl from that ab initio course with an award was possible. That is what led to the confusion.

marti8 wrote: »
    Is it? You could very well be correct, we checked but didn't see it.

The following CIT "ladder" structure has always been very heavily marketed to prospectives students:

CIT website -> Choose Undergraduate then Courses:
    http://www.cit.ie/courses1

Page 19: http://www.cit.ie/contentfiles/PDFs/Publications/CIT%20Full%20time%20Handbook%202011w.pdf
    marti8 wrote: »
    What we did do one year ago was email the department and we were at that time told, we still have the email, that early withdrawl from that ab initio course with an award was possible. That is what led to the confusion.

Have a chat with your Head of Department.

Maybe there is the option to transfer from the Honours degree programme to a three-year degree programme?

For example, if you have successfully completed the first year of an Honours degree programme, you have, in all likelihood, completed the same fundamental modules and met the learning outcomes of the first year of a three-year degree programme in the same area. You could then transfer into second year of the three-year degree programme rather than progress to second year of the Honours degree programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I think it completly depends on the course and when you started it. When I started my course I was able to do 2 years, 3 years or 4 years. The newest one you can now only do 4 years.

The following CIT "ladder" structure has always been very heavily marketed to prospectives students:

CIT website -> Choose Undergraduate then Courses:
    http://www.cit.ie/courses1

Page 19: http://www.cit.ie/contentfiles/PDFs/Publications/CIT%20Full%20time%20Handbook%202011w.pdf

Have a chat with your Head of Department.

Maybe there is the option to transfer from the Honours degree programme to a three-year degree programme?

For example, if you have successfully completed the first year of an Honours degree programme, you have, in all likelihood, completed the same fundamental modules and met the learning outcomes of the first year of a three-year degree programme in the same area. You could then transfer into second year of the three-year degree programme rather than progress to second year of the Honours degree programme.

We did speak with the Head of Dept again and one solution was to transfer to another course and simply do some credits for that in 2011 and graduate in 2011 but from a different course - not what we wanted so we'll leave it and stick with the Honours degree. Thanks.

DrMorphine wrote: »
    I think it completly depends on the course and when you started it. When I started my course I was able to do 2 years, 3 years or 4 years. The newest one you can now only do 4 years.

The course was begun in 2007. Ah, nevermind - of course having an Honours degree rather than an ordinary degree is always better in any case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement