Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Q: Order of install for CPU/Heatsink onto m-board & m-board into case

Options
  • 16-12-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is a silly Q but...

should I install the CPU + heatsink onto the motherboard before installing the motherboard into the case or...

Install motherboard into case then install CPU + heatsink.

This is a new build using a Gigabyte GA H55M-S2H MicroAtx motherboard and Core i3 CPU with stock Intel cooler into a Chenbro 71968 case.

The reason I ask is that the motherboard install guide suggests checking the CPU heatsink/fan is installed correctly by making sure the heatsink/fan mount pins poke out of the bottom of the motherboard in a certain way.

If I followed the guide then I would have to install the CPU etc first on the motherboard but I wanted to check with this forum first for advice on what is the best thing to do. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

If the case has a space cut out of mobo tray you can do it either way.

If not i would do it first so you can check the cooler pins have snapped into place correctly.
    I find its much easier to do it out of the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

If the motherboard is out of the case, there are no stand-offs to support the board when installing the heatsink... I'm concerned about the flexing of the board
    (yes being a newbie I can't help but get worried by these sorts of things)

But I suppose I could install the board temporarily into the case with one or two screws, install the heatsink and then take it out to check the pins are installed correctly.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

mp31 wrote: »

But I suppose I could install the board temporarily into the case with one or two screws, install the heatsink and then take it out to check the pins are installed correctly.

Thanks again.
    That would be ideal.
    Dam push pin coolers are a pain imo :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

stick in your cpu on mobo -> mobo into case ->then do the rest. the safest and most convenient way to do it! providing that the case has a space cut out of mobo tray!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Ah if it's the stock cooler then i wouldn't worry about it. Install mobo first for support. Give the heatsink a gentle rattle when all the pins are down: if non of them pop up, then bob's your uncle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement