Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A city without a government

• 16-12-2010 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭

Anyone else get the feeling that this region has no Government?

In my opinion, since 1997, Munster Rugby has done more for Limerick than FF. That says it all.

I read another 115 IDA jobs for Galway today, over 200 in the last 2 weeks for Galway as well. Anyone who visits both cities will quickly realise which one is being greatly ooked after.

Is it time we set up a petition?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

liammur wrote: »
    Anyone else get the feeling that this region has no Government?

In my opinion, since 1997, Munster Rugby has done more for Limerick than FF. That says it all.

I read another 115 IDA jobs for Galway today, over 200 in the last 2 weeks for Galway as well. Anyone who visits both cities will quickly realise which one is being greatly ooked after.

Is it time we set up a petition?

The problem is idiots voting for O'Dea, a petition wouldn't do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

But do people realise Galway has got about 10 times more IDA jobs since 1997 than Limerick ?
    (and that's not even taking into account the massive job losses in companies like Netg/Dell etc).

A petition would force Government/IDA to be fairer in distribution of jobs, as they would then know the public are aware of it.

But do people realise Galway has got about 10 times more IDA jobs since 1997 than Limerick ?
    (and that's not even taking into account the massive job losses in companies like Netg/Dell etc).

A petition would force Government/IDA to be fairer in distribution of jobs, as they would then know the public are aware of it.

No it wouldn't. The IDA don't give a damn about public opinion.

The only way to change things is to change the TD's in Government for us. It's by no means certain either Noonan or O'Sullivan will be at the Cabinet table after the election either, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

civil disobedience is the answer. All local businesses stop sending tax to the tax man. Stop paying gas and electricity bills too. Drive around in a car with no tax, no insurance, no N.C.T. Everyone get a horse and ride up the soon to be completed motorway :rolleyes: to Dublin and let our horses crap all over leinster house. On top of that, stop voting in a fine gael local council every year. They do nothing for this city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Petitions do sweet f*ck all. How many petitions were there to save the shannon to london routes with aer lingus?
    Need a taoiseach to be from limerick :)

• Advertisement

padma wrote: »
    civil disobedience is the answer. All local businesses stop sending tax to the tax man. Stop paying gas and electricity bills too. Drive around in a car with no tax, no insurance, no N.C.T. Everyone get a horse and ride up the soon to be completed motorway :rolleyes: to Dublin and let our horses crap all over leinster house. On top of that, stop voting in a fine gael local council every year. They do nothing for this city.

I agree. But it's good if people become aware of the issue. I don't know why local businesses aren't up in arms over it, the only reason I can think of is that they are not aware that IDA jobs are the jobs that drive the economy and therefore they don't care until they're gone bust.

If a petition is no good, bombard IDA looking for answers, I have, but never got a reply
    email:

idaireland@ida.ie <idaireland@ida.ie>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 blueburd

less wasters in galway i suppose!

I agree. But it's good if people become aware of the issue. I don't know why local businesses aren't up in arms over it, the only reason I can think of is that they are not aware that IDA jobs are the jobs that drive the economy and therefore they don't care until they're gone bust.

If a petition is no good, bombard IDA looking for answers, I have, but never got a reply
    email:

idaireland@ida.ie <idaireland@ida.ie>

I think the politicians keep the midwest divided by squabbling amongst themselves. It's time to abolish Limerick and Clare and reform Thomond. Too many local interests and not enough vision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

I think the politicians keep the midwest divided by squabbling amongst themselves. It's time to abolish Limerick and Clare and reform Thomond. Too many local interests and not enough vision.

As thomond was a kingdom, would the government not object? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

phill106 wrote: »
    As thomond was a kingdom, would the government not object? :)

Why would they? Sure aren't Fianna Fail mad keen on Royals, didn't they borrow a heap of sterling from Mrs Mountbatten (HM Queen Elizabeth II for those of a royal persuasion).

• Advertisement

Why would they? Sure aren't Fianna Fail mad keen on Royals, didn't they borrow a heap of sterling from Mrs Mountbatten (HM Queen Elizabeth II for those of a royal persuasion).

Fianna Fail see themselves as royals, and throw the cheese to the unemployed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

And a city without a soul !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

A town without a chipper is a plaice with no sole.

I see in today's chronicle (page 8), that Limerick got less than 1% of all the IDA jobs last year. To all of those who questionned me, that's my proof, that this region has been neglected and failed.

How can anyone expect a region to prosper if that's a level playing field?

Wake up local media, politicians and people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I see in today's chronicle (page 8), that Limerick got less than 1% of all the IDA jobs last year. To all of those who questionned me, that's my proof, that this region has been neglected and failed.

How can anyone expect a region to prosper if that's a level playing field?

Threads merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

How can you accuse the local media of being asleep when the Limerick Leader reported what you're complaining about?

gaf1983 wrote: »
    How can you accuse the local media of being asleep when the Limerick Leader reported what you're complaining about?

Because I highlighted this issue to them a few years back before the crisis began and they failed to report on it. The only reason it's in now is because a labour politician was interviewed. In fairness, it's not just the city that's been neglected, the county has done even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

we had a cabinet minister from the city, did he fight for his home town, you must be joking, i am also asking the question how vocal were the politicians of other hues in demanding jobs for their city, the city fathers have they been more interested in sniping and petty remarks and one upmanship to one another than job creation, this is easily answered, people of this city have this last chance to get jobs, if they spurn this chance then the city will implode, one last question have the politicians been more interested in regeneration than job creation ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

flutered wrote: »
    we had a cabinet minister from the city, did he fight for his home town, you must be joking, i am also asking the question how vocal were the politicians of other hues in demanding jobs for their city, the city fathers have they been more interested in sniping and petty remarks and one upmanship to one another than job creation, this is easily answered, people of this city have this last chance to get jobs, if they spurn this chance then the city will implode, one last question have the politicians been more interested in regeneration than job creation ?.

From watching a lot of the local politcians it seems to me that they are more interested in looking after themselves and their own profiles over anything to do with the city or county. New blood is needed, but will the voters see it that way in the general and local elections?

Kess73 wrote: »
    From watching a lot of the local politcians it seems to me that they are more interested in looking after themselves and their own profiles over anything to do with the city or county. New blood is needed, but will the voters see it that way in the general and local elections?

I think most people who have jobs don't really care about jobs coming into the region. That's why jobs isn't such a big issue for Limerick people.
    Cork and Galway like to see their city grow and realise the importance of the IDA jobs. We will continue with 'regeneration and rugby' until this attitude changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I think most people who have jobs don't really care about jobs coming into the region. That's why jobs isn't such a big issue for Limerick people.
    Cork and Galway like to see their city grow and realise the importance of the IDA jobs. We will continue with 'regeneration and rugby' until this attitude changes.

I have a job and care about jobs coming to the city. More jobs in the city means more business for people with jobs and therefore more job security for them, a busier city centre, more services, more big events, more life in the city, and less crime, depression, and emigration.

Morgan Kelly outlined some of the consequences of mass unemployment in an article in December 2009, "Ghosts of debt and jobs will haunt economy":
    By 2015 we will have seen what happens when jobs disappear forever, particularly from less educated men who were able to earn a good living in construction. In effect, Ireland is at the start of an enormous, unplanned social experiment on how rising unemployment affects crime, domestic violence, drug abuse, suicide and a litany of other social pathologies.

We will be forced to discover the consequences when people, who had worked hard to make decent lives for themselves and their children, find themselves reduced to nothing. Less than nothing in fact because, unlike the unemployed in the past, people now losing jobs are weighed down with debt and facing the terrifying prospect of losing their homes.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/1229/1224261354227.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

It would seems so only for the fact that EVERYONE I speak to in Limerick is talking about the lack of jobs. With near on 20% of this cities population unemployed there isn't anyone out there who doesnt know someone unemployed, or who hasn't been affected by unemployment. Jobs is a massive issue for Limerick city.

The only problem is the fact that even with our crying out for jobs we have been ignored at a national level. This has led to people now on the long term dole queue with no faith whatsoever in the current Fianna Fail cabinet or the current Limerick City council representatives. Action is needed NOW, What do we do? wait for the new Govt to come in to power and sort out Limerick's job crisis? I think not, we need demonstrations, we need civil disobedience, we need to strike at the very Heart of this cities Local government to get some action. Until we start this it may be a very long time before this area of Ireland is treated fairly and equally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

i had some friends over from the uk for the weekend, they wished to watch the irish game in a pub to soak up the atmosphere, just 7 people in flannerys, around the same in nancy blakes, the city fathers have their heads so far up their arsue that their coming out their mouths, they need to cop on, cruises street is now a no go area for the elderly etc, pay parking every where for what, to pay their over inflated wages and expenses, why not try free parking, also cutting buisness overheads for one 12 months, can they not take on the retail parks, or at a minimum at least show some initive, why not take their salerys, then fund some plan with their well padded expenses for 12 months, do we need so many city fathers, so many wards, me, i say we do not, people of limerick if you do not take this one chance, shut your mouths and hang your collective heads in shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

With something like 22,000 people unemployed in the city and county it should be a big issue for those in positions of power in Limerick.

You are right to say that there is a different attitude in Cork and Galway. And that attitude has served them well. There are local authorities and City/County councils there that fight for IDA jobs, outside investment, redevelopment that actually happens and so on.

Here in Limerick we get self servers in power who just like to get their names in the local press, and who do not actively chase business the way it gets chased in Cork or Galway. We also have people in charge of making decisions who have no knowledge or experience in what they are deciding on.

It's all very well for Limerick to trot out the Thomond Park line everytime they use something that proves, in their minds anyway, that Limerick is booming. The reality is very different to what the local media soundbytes suggest.

The biggest issue in this city is the lack of jobs, but it seems to be ignored a lot of the time. Then a business closes, followed by another and another. But people don't seem to be able to connect the fact that massive unemployment in an area means less being spent on stores/services, and that the cycle will just continue round and around.

A scary way to look at it is that almost 1 in every 20 unemployed people in Ireland are from Limerick city/county, yet Limerick as a city and county combined only makes up 1 person in every 33 people in Ireland. Unemployment is way above the national average, and far above the % of people that are unemployed in other Irish cities with the exception of maybe Waterford.

Advertisement