Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Desire HD / Nexus S powerfull you say? pffft. The real beasts are here.

• 16-12-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

Dual core phones will be in europe by the end of january.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/15/lg-optimus-2x-first-dual-core-smartphone-launches-with-android/

LG Optimus 2X being the first to arrive "a few weeks into the new year"

These phones should (in theory, depending on how apps in android are coded) be much much much more powerful than any phone on the market today.

I was going to go into meteor to sign an 18 month contract with a DHD TODAY, but im going to wait for the new year announcements.

my only concerns are battery life with the Tegra 2 chip and how long will Ireland wait before we get these phones?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Due a new phone in work and was considering the Desire HD but I think I shall wait :) The Galaxy S will do for now ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

We didn't have to wait too long to get the desire HD so hopefully we get this soonish after launch. Beast of a phone so it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

for those on mobile or too lazy to read an article, specs are:

Dual core Tegra 2 processor @ 1Ghz
    1080p HDMI out
    1080p video recording
    8MP camera
    1.3MP forward facing camera for video calls
    4inch screen (presumably @ 800x480)
    8gb internal memory
    upto 32gb external via SDHC
    1,500mAh battery
    Android 2.2 promised to be updated to 2.3

unfortunately its an LG, a brand i loath in the mobile industry, but with android how could it go wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Un-following the desire hd price plan on meteor thread - following this :D

Cheers, doing the same as yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I've a question for those who are putting off buying a HD/SGS for the prospects of dual-core machine... Why?

From my perspective, the only real benefit should come from efficiencies in terms of power usage. I can understand the concern for power when I look at iOS, or even Win phone 7, but I'm not sure where the capacity is required for Android apps. If I'm not mistaken we're still dealing with a ecosystem where the size limit is 50mb.

When you've a phone that can drive the OS without any lag e.g. Nexus S why the cry for more power?

• Advertisement

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Un-following the desire hd price plan on meteor thread - following this :D

Cheers, doing the same as yourself.
    yea, Id have kicked myself if i got locked into an 18 month contract with the DHD and these came out:o:o

The day a dual core phone launches is the day the DHD/NS becomes obsolete.

There are probably only a handful of big leaps forward been made in the phone industry so far, and this is definately one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

That sounds and looks like a sweet phone. :D
    My only worry would be the fact that the phone is still using the same battery used in phones now. Surely battery life is going to be pretty bad??

I've currently got an Iphone 3GS and looking for an Android replacement. Would it be worth upgrading to a phone like the Desire HD or waiting for a big jump such as that proposed by this new LG phone???

That sounds and looks like a sweet phone. :D
    My only worry would be the fact that the phone is still using the same battery used in phones now. Surely battery life is going to be pretty bad??

I've currently got an Iphone 3GS and looking for an Android replacement. Would it be worth upgrading to a phone like the Desire HD or waiting for a big jump such as that proposed by this new LG phone???
    if you can wait, it'll be well worth it.

even if the phone is a dissapointment, at least the DHD will have come down in price..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

When you've a phone that can drive the OS without any lag e.g. Nexus S why the cry for more power?

Multi core has many advantages. It allows a smooth user experience when there are many tasks running (and doing stuff). Also, for threaded applications, it allows them to make use of more than one core, in theory doubling (or more) the total amount of compute power available to a single app.

I agree that it seems like overkill though. I have a quad core machine at home. and I nearly never approach 100% cpu usage. Mostly I'd say these will be a marketing dream and little beyond that. Currently I, like you, would prefer either a faster clock speed or better power usage for the same clock speed given the option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Well there's my Desire HD upgrade plan cancelled!

• Advertisement

I've a question for those who are putting off buying a HD/SGS for the prospects of dual-core machine... Why?

herpaderp

Simple answer: Potential

very long answer::o:o:eek:

the ecosystem may only be 50mb now, but how long will that last? android is being limited by the hardware it runs on (or you could argue that it isnt coded very well:mad:). when you've a dualie in your phone, it should be capable of handling anything android or devs can throw at it for years:eek:.

Dual core processors first came out for computers in 2005, and are only now becoming dated and lagging behind the 4+ core processors available now. :rolleyes:

Gaming is a big thing in the mobile industry, which hasnt really hit android yet:o. aside from angry birds, which games do you play regularly:confused:? there arent many big name developers backing android, yet, but when they do, they're going to use every bit of bandwidth power the phone has(hopefully:o:o:D). the difference between a dual core and a single core phone in terms of gaming.. there just is no comparison:cool:. the dualie will run circled around a single threaded phone. it'll take anything the single core can do, eat it for breakfast, and then double the frame rate:P if coded well:pac:

a Quadrant test on a prototype and laggy LG 2X gave a score of over 2250. (DHD being in the 2055 region?) not a flawless benchmark i know but its just a glimpse.

TL;DR: This thing has Potential.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Simple answer: Potential

very long answer::o:o:eek:

the ecosystem may only be 50mb now, but how long will that last? android is being limited by the hardware it runs on (or you could argue that it isnt coded very well:mad:). when you've a dualie in your phone, it should be capable of handling anything android or devs can throw at it for years:eek:.

Dual core processors first came out for computers in 2005, and are only now becoming dated and lagging behind the 4+ core processors available now. :rolleyes:

Gaming is a big thing in the mobile industry, which hasnt really hit android yet:o. aside from angry birds, which games do you play regularly:confused:? there arent many big name developers backing android, yet, but when they do, they're going to use every bit of bandwidth power the phone has(hopefully:o:o:D). the difference between a dual core and a single core phone in terms of gaming.. there just is no comparison:cool:. the dualie will run circled around a single threaded phone. it'll take anything the single core can do, eat it for breakfast, and then double the frame rate:P if coded well:pac:

a Quadrant test on a prototype and laggy LG 2X gave a score of over 2250. (DHD being in the 2055 region?) not a flawless benchmark i know but its just a glimpse.

TL;DR: This thing has Potential.

I'm all for technology moving ahead and I understand the technical advantages of the new systems; it's just that I've yet to see anything planned for Android that will utilize the raw power e.g. Infinity Blade in iPhone 4, on these handsets in the next year that would encourage people to hold off on the likes of the DHD or SGS. It seems when Google does finally get serious with Gaming - while acknowledging the new 2.3 developer features - we'll have the LG grandchildren knocking about making the above phones redundant. I keep getting this weird mental image of some posters with Jeremy Clarkson type attitudes screaming "MORE POWER" and not understanding the implications or necessities of it.

edit to say that I don't think the analogy with PCs is entirely apt as people update their phones a lot more than their PCs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

guess you can have nds roms running on it with that spec that depending on the ram....

either way with these comign out there is such a high chance that it will come with an underclocking application built in and some sort of power saving applications or to me it doesnt really make sense either in terms of battery usage

nvidia-cores-12-07-2010-1291748007.jpg

Saw this simple diagram on engadget and this for me is the real potential advantage of the new phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

interesting pic there. guess that proves this sorts the issue of battery life in current models out then :)

also when i got the desire a few months ago some people then were saying wait for the hd, wait for the windows phone etc...
    i mean there is always something else to look forward to. eventually you have to pick one and be happy to have top of the range for 3 months. because after that time mobile tech is outdated with the way its going at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tibet84

Hi All,

i bought the HD Desire last weekend so have had this past week to play with it. Here are my thoughts:

1 Screen is outstanding - really bright, clean and clear
    2 Touch / Tapping seems to work very efficiently (this is my first touch screen and I was sceptical!!)
    3 Menu seems to be easy enough to use. To match the i-phone, it has 7 pages on the 'Home Screen' which you can put apps & widgets. Maybe not as good as the i-phone in this regard.
    4 HTC Sense is pretty cool, matches up your contacts with their facebook, twitter accounts etc.
    5 Locations is pretty cool, using the GPS to constantly update your apps/widgets etc.
    6 There is much more that I have yet to explore!!

On a more negative note:
    1 It sometimes seems to stall from time to time.
    2 The locking mechanism on the top of the phone is ok but not ideal.
    3 My reception is sometimes intermittent...not sure why.

4 The battery. This is by far thhe biggest flaw. When you get a phone like this, you want to use 3G, you want to have loads of cool apps and widgets and have everything at your finger tips. It does all of this, however, the battery cannot handle it. I used to use a Nokia E71 which had a great battery, lasted all day long, but this one seems to die driving home from work every evening. I leave at 7am and get back home at 6pm and its dead....thats with little use. It says that the screen is using 60% of the battery, so after turning this down to 30% brightness, little improvement. HTC advise to not let your apps/widgets to self update etc, Im sorry, I didnt buy this phone to turn everything off!!! I want instant access. I have a charger in the car, at work and at home but generally, it just pisses me off.

If this phone had a good battery, I think it would surpass the I-phone 4, however, because of the crap battery, I would put it way way back the pecking order - well before the Samsung Galaxy.

If any one has any questions, feel free to ask!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I raise your LG star/X2 and give you the B

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/16/lg-b-android-phone-caught-in-the-wild-looking-thin-and-ready/

Truthfully I don't think even with 2.3 these phones will see the full potential, it will be more that they should be able to reasonably run honeycomb (if honeycomb end up being the one that is designed for tablet as well) so it is more the futureproofing in that respect that may be the advantage to waiting for one of these phones

Advertisement