Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Asylum"s location?

Options
  • 16-12-2010 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,
    Where is "The Asylum" in Dublin? Meant to be drinking there tomorrow, but can't find it. I'm told it's "just off O'Connell Street", but nothing else. Anyone here know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

Is that the place that was a nightclub in the 90's?

If it is, it was somewhere on Sackville Place, down the side of Clearys. I'm not 100% sure where exactly, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Yes its just off oconnell street but to get there youll need a delorean, it was shut down about 17 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

http://www.johnbraine.com/music/words/history-of-dublin-clubbing.html

Found this by searching "the asylum" Dublin.
    Just before the ballroom closed down, a new three level, all night club called the Asylum opened and that's exactly what it was. It bore witness to the first batch of E casualties, burnt out ravers desperately chasing that initial rush, the dawning realisation that nothing this good lasts forever painted across their jaded faces. However, a fresh batch always arrived to fill the void and this new crowd kept the balance in check. The Asylum also welcomed in a new batch of DJ's. Dilly, the then Northern Ireland mixing champ, took residency in the Asylum along with Dublin's Ed case, Warren K and Pressure. The clubs eventual downfall was its very open display as a drug haven and was soon shut down.

Didn't read the full article (for other reasons). But hope that helps.

EDIT: Found this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=268391

And this: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=212954216216

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

I was in a "secret" nightclub off O'Connell Street a few weeks ago. Could be that? I arrived around 3:30am and had to knock on the door to get in. €10 in and a fiver for a can of Bavaria. Don't think I'll be going back anytime soon but I suppose it ain't bad if you want to keep on drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I was in a "secret" nightclub off O'Connell Street a few weeks ago. Could be that? I arrived around 3:30am and had to knock on the door to get in. €10 in and a fiver for a can of Bavaria. Don't think I'll be going back anytime soon but I suppose it ain't bad if you want to keep on drinking.

There's a story there! :D

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote: »
    There's a story there! :D

:D
    Nah, I just meant it wasn't worth paying a tenner into a club at 3:30 in the morning to buy a can of lukewarm blue Bavaria for a fiver just to eventually stagger home at 7:30 and feel like death the next(!) day. Getting too old. If I was on a mad one maybe i'd go. Good music anyway and the crowd seemed friendly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Bet none of ye know where Dj Dilly's record shop used to be in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Is that the Phobia Afterhours place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Yet another reason I wish I was born in the seventies. Those old-skool raves look unreal.

1968 wrote: »

Not much info on the Facebook page so I've no idea! I'll PM the location to any committed hedonists here who'd like to know where it is.

• Advertisement

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Yet another reason I wish I was born in the seventies. Those old-skool raves look unreal.

Having clean pills probably helped.

1968 wrote: »

That is indeed the place, yeah. I also came across something on Facebook recently about a party boat on the quays or on the canal that opens for business in the wee hours. Anyone been to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

The Hollywood Academy Dance/drama/music school is now located where the Asylum nightclub used to be

http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/places/hollywood-academy-of--18083

don't know if there's any place trading under the name "the Asylum" these days

did you find it in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

AntiMatter wrote: »
    Having clean pills probably helped.
    Clean pills have been back in Ireland since May, and in no small number either.

Here's a fairly prevalent one that was sent in by a Dubliner for lab testing - MDMA is the only active ingredient.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Clean pills have been back in Ireland since May, and in no small number either.

Here's a fairly prevalent one that was sent in by a Dubliner for lab testing - MDMA is the only active ingredient.

125 mgs of MDMA, apparently.

Oldskool. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭delmonte4

Not much info on the Facebook page so I've no idea! I'll PM the location to any committed hedonists here who'd like to know where it is.

Whats the story with this place man? Sounds like the job at 5 in the morning. Do you need to know someone to get you in or are they fairly alright? mind sendin me that pm

Advertisement