Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst gig in years

Options
  • 16-12-2010 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

what was the worst gig you went to ?
    Elton john last night was the worst gig ive been to in years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,037 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Guns N Roses recently.

Wasn't so much a gig as watching a diva throwing a hissy fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

john martyn in vicar st. a few years ago..prick played for 25 miuntes and ****ed off..he was wasted. worth every penny though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Des Bishop,Vicar street, Arrogant loud yank thats making a living out of toilet humour jokes at our expense,biggest waste of money ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Fake blood in the Academy... Load of crap..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ash in '97 or thereabouts in the Point. I liked them at the time but after that tripe I gave up. They sounded awful live.
    Most recently Bob Dylan, at the new Point in 08. Everyone warned me, I had to see him though. The warnings were correct. He was really unentertaining, soulless and a monotonous tempo throughout the whole set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

The Police, Croke Park. Utter ****e. The worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

I went because i got free tickets. It was shocking though tbh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

The Strokes at Olympia several years ago. I think they played about 25 mins and were gone. No encore and the whole thing sounded like ****e (even by the Strokes standards). Support band were a joke. They seemed like a couple of retards borrowed from a mental institution - clearly only chosen for freak value. Lots of posers in the crowd who were clearly only there because The Strokes were this months 'in' band. (imagine Kings of Leon fans of today to see what I'm talking about).

I think it was pretty much the beginning of the end for my interest in popular live music in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Lorcan78

Kinky Friedman in vicar's street was ****e , he spent half the show talking with little or no music :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Julian Cope a few years ago in vicar street. He was on his own, it was 32 quid, spent most of the gig waffling. the other half we spent inside the bar
    WindSock wrote: »
    Ash in '97 or thereabouts in the Point. I liked them at the time but after that tripe I gave up. They sounded awful live.

saved only by the fact china drum were playing and i had free tickets

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bob Dylan in Nowlan Park. It was such a weird notion, him playing a stadium gig in Kilkenny and it really didn't turn out to be a great idea.
    Didn't stop him going back 5 years later though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

yeah gnr is going to be pretty hard to top

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Michael Buble in the Aviva Stadium.............glorified wedding singer!

Maybe I didn't enjoy it because I was sober! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Eminem.

Went with the wife a few years ago (JUST to be sure she got there and back ok).
    The concert was pure schite of the highest order - and that was her opinion, not mine (and she was a big fan at the time) - although I found it easy to agree.
    He was crap. The crowrds were animals, there was constant fighting, etc but most of all he was just pure SCHITE!
    She has never gone to any of his concerts ever again nor has bought anything related to him like CD's or merchandise.

Interesting end note: A few weeks later we attended "Simon and Garfunkel" concert in Dublin.
    The wife (years younger than me) had never heard much of their music and never, EVER has listened to them.
    She came with me 'cos I am of that generation - and she loved it, the whole show! Lock, stock and barrel.
    The audience participation in ALL the songs, the moving tributes to others who had passed away, the explaining of some of the history behind some of their songs, etc.
    It was a memorable evening in Dublin city that night.

You just can't beat true class!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.
    TOOL. Awful lifeless droning misery for a few hours.

Biggins wrote: »
    Eminem.

Went with the wife a few years ago (JUST to be sure she got there and back ok).
    The concert was pure schite of the highest order - and that was her opinion, not mine (and she was a big fan at the time) - although I found it easy to agree.
    He was crap. The crowrds were animals, there was constant fighting, etc but most of all he was just pure SCHITE!
    She has never gone to any of his concerts ever again nor has bought anything related to him like CD's or merchandise.

Interesting end note: A few weeks later we attended "Simon and Garfunkel" concert in Dublin.
    The wife (years younger than me) had never heard much of their music and never, EVER has listened to them.
    She came with me 'cos I am of that generation - and she loved it, the whole show! Lock, stock and barrel.
    The audience participation in ALL the songs, the moving tributes to others who had passed away, the explaining of some of the history behind some of their songs, etc.
    It was a memorable evening in Dublin city that night.

You just can't beat true class!
    How many years biggins you saucy git ?;)

Moved from AH.
    TOOL. Awful lifeless droning misery for a few hours.

:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I think Oxegen 2004, the entire thing, I still regret going to be perfectly honest...the festival itself was a joke and David Bowie (the only act I bought a ticket to see) cancelled.

I went in the end to see The Darkness, and enjoyed their set, also enjoyed sets by Muse and Ash that day - but the audience spoiled it in a big way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

ive been to neyo with gf-****e, lupe fiasco-****e and went to oxegen specifically to see Eminem last year. drove up, fluted around for a few hours and then waited for 5hours through Bell X1 Paulo N and Faithless just to get up the very front. dont even think i was standing on my feet for an hour or two, just got squeezed to bits,but the best damn night of my life:D

im done

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JayJay10

Razorlight at the RDS in 06 absolutely woefull!!! and KOL last sat night defo not the same band i seen back in 07 they actually rocked back then

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

godscop wrote: »
    How many years biggins you saucy git ?;)
    :pac:

Enough to still have loads of energy for me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Crystal Castles in Cypress Avenue about 3 years ago were pretty sh*t. Bout a 25-30 minute set with Alice just looking monged and sounding awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Bob Dylan in Nowlan Park. It was such a weird notion, him playing a stadium gig in Kilkenny and it really didn't turn out to be a great idea.
    Didn't stop him going back 5 years later though.

I saw him play Nowlan Park in 2006. He seemed to be just going through the motions and had no interest.

The Flaming Lips played there that day too and they were great. When they got on stage a teenager in the audience shouted "Wayne Coyne" (he's the lead singer with The Flaming Lips). Wayne Coyne turned around, smiled and waved at him. Then they played and seemed to enjoy every minute of it.

In contrast Bob Dylan looked like he was bored stiff. Most people (including myself) had come to see him and waited there all day. He played for just over an hour, begrudgingly did an encore and left. He wasn't bad as such, just soulless. I find it amazing that I went to see Bob Dylan and can barely remember what songs he played.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bettyswallox

Were you the lad shouting in the cheap seats
    " your losing us your losing us "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Des Bishop,Vicar street, Arrogant loud yank thats making a living out of toilet humour jokes at our expense

that's his act - what were you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I'm taking my GF to see the Script in the Olympia tonight.
    I'm gonna say thats the worst concert i'll see in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Seriously?! It was wonderful!
    Were you the lad shouting in the cheap seats
    " your losing us your losing us "

People should really look into what they are paying for. That show was never going to be a greatest hits concert and thankfully so. It was brilliant!

And I would have lamped that gobshíte if I was near him.

As for worst gig, The Blizzards.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ppdub73

The worst gig in years??!! Read my review and you'll see it was none of the sort!!

http://www.eltonjohn.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101216&contentid=16331314

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I'd be interested to know what you found so objectionable about the Elton John show, especially since he played so long and did a good mix of well-known songs as well as lesser-known album tracks, the kind of songs that he always plays as part of his shows with Ray Cooper.
    Was it that you didn't know enough of the songs he did? Were you expecting him to have the full band? Were you sitting way up in the gods and a bit detached from proceedings? You're entitled to your opinion, but I am curious what your grievances were, because, to be honest, I'm very surprised that anyone could rate it so badly as to be the "worst gig in years".
    I've had lots of experiences where I've really disliked shows that the vast majority seemed to have loved (Paul McCartney in the RDS in 2003 springs to mind), but I honestly don't see how Elton's show on Wednesday can have been so bad in your eyes as to warrant kickstarting a thread with it.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Sly and the Family Stone in London a few years ago.

Band came on, played instrumental versions of their songs. No sign of Sly for the first 15 minutes. We're beginning to wonder if he'll come on at all. Finally he comes on. "Finally, the show can begin" we think.

No, one song later, he heads back off stage. The band plays a couple more instrumentals. He returns for a song about 10 minutes later, heads back off again. Back on. One more song, then the whole band finish, 45 minutes after they started, and less than 15 minutes of which was Sly on Stage.
    Rubbish. That being said, the fact that we saw Sly at all was a miracle. He'd played about 5 shows in the previous 30 years.

Advertisement