Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst gig in years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Slane 2009, not an Oasis fan, but it was boring old bollocks, plus the place was full of scumbags.

Also, Sonic Youth at Vicar Street about a year ago, I love Sonic Youth but it wasn't very good at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

radiohead in malahide castle thom yorkes a knob head wouldn't play one song from there first 3 albums and i was surrounded by music snobs doing e tabs dressed like hippies :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 DarrenDay

ricero wrote: »
    radiohead in malahide castle thom yorkes a knob head wouldn't play one song from there first 3 albums and i was surrounded by music snobs doing e tabs dressed like hippies :mad:

Lol at that last line. 'e tabs'. You are a cool dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

DarrenDay wrote: »
    Lol at that last line. 'e tabs'. You are a cool dude.

i apologize i sound like im from ****ing d4 saying e tabs i meant to say a big fat bag of d10s they were popping ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Im not jumpin on the bandwagon here but i went see Elton John in the RDS in 2005 and it was pure sh*te.In fact the RDS for a concert doesnt do that much for me either especially after goin the new 02 a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

WindSock wrote: »
    Ash in '97 or thereabouts in the Point. I liked them at the time but after that tripe I gave up. They sounded awful live.
    Most recently Bob Dylan, at the new Point in 08. Everyone warned me, I had to see him though. The warnings were correct. He was really unentertaining, soulless and a monotonous tempo throughout the whole set.

Agree on the Ash thing. Saw them in Marlay Park as part of something or other a few years ago and they were absolutely dreadful.

I live near Nowlan Park so even though I didn't go to the 2 Bob Dylan gigs there, I got to hear them :D Not wonderful stuff either from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Im not jumpin on the bandwagon here but i went see Elton John in the RDS in 2005 and it was pure sh*te.In fact the RDS for a concert doesnt do that much for me either especially after goin the new 02 a few times.

The sound in the RDS is fairly terrible so I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't enjoy it to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Kold wrote: »
    Crystal Castles in Cypress Avenue about 3 years ago were pretty sh*t. Bout a 25-30 minute set with Alice just looking monged and sounding awful.

I was at that too. I'm pretty sure she banged her head off the low ceiling though and had to cut the set short as a result. From what i remember it was good enough.
    Although I was quite drunk and was very excited to see them in Cork because I thought they would never play there.

Can't think of any bad ones myself. I only go to good concerts :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Ocean colour scene in the olympia a few years back.....snoozefest....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

Moved from AH.
    TOOL. Awful lifeless droning misery for a few hours.

I just had a conversation with the missus about this bunch last night. I think that James Maynard Keenan just kills this band (like you said - lifeless droning fúcking misery), yet she thinks the man has one of the best voices ever. He puts a lot of "emotion" into it apparently. I lol'd heartily.

Worst gig I've ever sat through was the support act for Siouxsie Sioux at her solo gig in Dublin's Tripod, sometime in '08 or '09. They were a duo called Bone, a man and a woman. Local act I think. Words simply cannot describe the horrendous nature of the music these two write. For some reason, both of them whispering the word "sycophant" into their mics for a good ten minutes is a prominent memory from that night. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

For ME the most disappointing gig was Tom Waits in Phoenix Park in 2008. it was partly because I had looked forward to it so much, A couple of years earlier I remember playing one of my Waits albums at home and saying that if he came to Ireland that you would have to kill for a ticket. However, I think that I knew only one song he played. I love his ballads etc but he has a lot of other weird songs that he seems to just scream.

I think I wasunlucky in the night I picked as well. Better setlist for me the other nights. I had considered going more than one night but it was just too expensive. Of course many Waits "heads" that were there loved the concert so I am not saying that hewas rubbish, just that I didnt like it.

I do know some people that went to the Police in Croke Park and were in seats at the far end of the ground and thought it was a disaster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kila last night were awful, very disappointing.
    Worst of all was New Order in landsdown a couple of years ago.
    They uttered the immortal line "I hate this ****ing song" before doing Blue Monday, a terrible gig.
    Then I had to sit through the Chillis afterwards, more sh1te tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

dixiefly wrote: »
    For ME the most disappointing gig was Tom Waits in Phoenix Park in 2008. it was partly because I had looked forward to it so much, A couple of years earlier I remember playing one of my Waits albums at home and saying that if he came to Ireland that you would have to kill for a ticket. However, I think that I knew only one song he played. I love his ballads etc but he has a lot of other weird songs that he seems to just scream.

I think I wasunlucky in the night I picked as well. Better setlist for me the other nights. I had considered going more than one night but it was just too expensive. Of course many Waits "heads" that were there loved the concert so I am not saying that hewas rubbish, just that I didnt like it.

I do know some people that went to the Police in Croke Park and were in seats at the far end of the ground and thought it was a disaster.

I used to go to at least 2 gigs a week and I can honestly say that if I was forced to choose my favorite gig of all time it would have to be the Tom Waits gig in Phoenix Park. One man's poison is ... etc.

As for worse gig ... anyone remember Soul to Soul? "Back to Life" etc. It was SO bad they had a fashion show in the middle of the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

dixiefly wrote: »

What night were you there? i went on the Thursday and Friday,Thursday night night was my first time seeing him and to be honest i was a little disapointed,took a good few songs to get going and for his voice to "open" up,way to gravelly at first(i love his voice but this was just too harsh)i dont think seating suited it either.......the Friday on the other hand was brilliant,fantastic setlist,covered much more of his career,went right back to 1974,in my top 3 gigs of all time......but i can see why some wouldnt enjoy it,he really is an acquired taste

As for my worst gig it has to be The Chilli Peppers Phoenix Park 04,absolute rubbish,wasnt really a fan of them anyway(i went to see The Pixies as it was their only Irish gig that year and i didnt know if theyd last very long doing the reunion thing)anyway,the venue is just crap,there were 110,000 people at the bloody thing too,nightmare to get to it,loads and loads of hassle......They played for about 75 minutes including the bloody encore! and a ****ing drum solo!!(no seriously,a drum solo)for a band thats been around for 20 years with loads of albums to play for that short a time is just taking the piss out of their fans,the singer had no connection with the crowd either,no charisma whatsoever,the whole thing was just out and out crap

Kula Shaker and The Foo Fighters at the trip to Tipp 97 deserve a mention too,both were unbelievably dull and boring

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I too went to see The Pixies but thanks to my brother in law I missed them and saw the feckin Chillis again.
    Brutal muck, they took the money and ran.
    Even if you liked their music, and I don't, it sounded slow and boring.
    Never again am I going to subject myself to that bands music.

Always wished I had seen Lemon Jelly, :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    "Tell your dads we saw us"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bunnywabbit

mars bar wrote: »
    The sound in the RDS is fairly terrible so I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't enjoy it to be honest...

Yeah, the sound is shocking, went to Megadeth and my god, the sound ruined it for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Glasvegas were a supporting act for a Muse concert I went to in 08'. My god they were awful. If I remember correctly, they got booed at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah, the sound is shocking, went to Megadeth and my god, the sound ruined it for me..

I've seen Bruce Springsteen there twice and the sound was painful both times. I remember the second one being particularly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Kings of Leon

Absolute jokers live and they bored the arse off me. Said beforehand that I'd give them a chance but never again. The fact that they were supported by The Fratellis didn't help either :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

As for my worst gig it has to be The Chilli Peppers Phoenix Park 04,absolute rubbish,wasnt really a fan of them anyway(i went to see The Pixies as it was their only Irish gig that year and i didnt know if theyd last very long doing the reunion thing)anyway,the venue is just crap,there were 110,000 people at the bloody thing too,nightmare to get to it,loads and loads of hassle......They played for about 75 minutes including the bloody encore! and a ****ing drum solo!!(no seriously,a drum solo)for a band thats been around for 20 years with loads of albums to play for that short a time is just taking the piss out of their fans,the singer had no connection with the crowd either,no charisma whatsoever,the whole thing was just out and out crap

I was at that too, and it didnt come anywhere near Slane the previous year for me, which was excellent. Didnt enjoy it at all, but then dying from hay fever probably didnt help either!

I thought the Killers in marlay park 08 were sub standard. Bloc Party were supporting who I really wanted to see, only the ballbag of a shuttle bus driver decided to take a ****ing hour to park the bus in a field instead of letting people off at the gate, people who might actually wanted to see Bloc Party! :rolleyes: So I missed the support act, and for the main act you could barely hear the lead guitar on the Killers songs, probably not their fault but the roadies/techies fault but still, all round **** gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Kings of Leon

Absolute jokers live and they bored the arse off me. Said beforehand that I'd give them a chance but never again. The fact that they were supported by The Fratellis didn't help either :eek:
    Saw them for about two/three songs at Oxegen 2009 after seeing Nick Cave playing a cracking set, and I wish never to endure such a bore of a climax to gig ever again. Thankfully in 2008 I pissed right off after Aphex Twin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

What night were you there? i went on the Thursday and Friday,Thursday night night was my first time seeing him and to be honest i was a little disapointed,took a good few songs to get going and for his voice to "open" up,way to gravelly at first(i love his voice but this was just too harsh)i dont think seating suited it either.......the Friday on the other hand was brilliant,fantastic setlist,covered much more of his career,went right back to 1974,in my top 3 gigs of all time......but i can see why some wouldnt enjoy it,he really is an acquired taste

Kula Shaker and The Foo Fighters at the trip to Tipp 97 deserve a mention too,both were unbelievably dull and boring

It was the Thursday night. yes I remember thinking that I would have preferred the Friday gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Jackie O' Motherf*ker is up there, they had a few decent studio albums, but the line-up I seen live in Whelans sounded like a poor man's Velvet Underground who hadn't written any songs. 2 years ago I think?

DOOM by all rights should be up there for "worst gig of 2010", turning up late and rapping over an ipod, but I still loved it, probably because I expected nothing more.

The XX at primavera: packed crowed, lovely night, huge anticipation, I'd never heard them despite the hype and well.... a generic, and frankly boring band from the crevices of the 1980's emerged and it was more "meh" than bad, which is worse somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

The worst for me was Bob Dylan in the o2, awful ****e.
    Saw Bruce Springsteen in the RDS, sound was awful and kinda ruined it for me, so much better in the emirates!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I saw him play Nowlan Park in 2006. He seemed to be just going through the motions and had no interest.

The Flaming Lips played there that day too and they were great. When they got on stage a teenager in the audience shouted "Wayne Coyne" (he's the lead singer with The Flaming Lips). Wayne Coyne turned around, smiled and waved at him. Then they played and seemed to enjoy every minute of it.

In contrast Bob Dylan looked like he was bored stiff. Most people (including myself) had come to see him and waited there all day. He played for just over an hour, begrudgingly did an encore and left. He wasn't bad as such, just soulless. I find it amazing that I went to see Bob Dylan and can barely remember what songs he played.

yeah bob dylan is pretty dreadful live. saw him in finsbury park a few years ago. even dragging out one of the stones didn't help. they were all carted back to the same nursing home after.
    on the other hand, has there EVER been a bad flaming lips gig??
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Kila last night were awful, very disappointing.
    They uttered the immortal line "I hate this ****ing song" before doing Blue Monday, a terrible gig.
    Then I had to sit through the Chillis afterwards, more sh1te tbh.

i was at this one too. think it was just after the leaving cert finished, or the results were out. either way, there was a load of kids going around mental for the night. new order were at leccy piccy a few years ago too, seemed to be arguing on stage. either way they just didn't give a toss.

my worst was primal scream at hammersmith apollo a few years ago. one unbelievably boring gig. if it wan't for the shyte weather and i didn't have a bank of memories of funny lines from the simpsons i'd have gone nuts in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Conway Savage in the Spirit Store - he was blind drunk and even annoying his own band. Had to walk out halfway rather than listen to his crap any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Musefan wrote: »
    Glasvegas were a supporting act for a Muse concert I went to in 08'. My god they were awful. If I remember correctly, they got booed at one point.

I've never seen anyone worse live than Glasvegas that day.

That being said,saw them again at oxegen last year,and they were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Luckily most gigs I've gone to have been good.

But Oasis in Slane was in a way the best and the worst.

The best-good atmosphere, great to see my musical heroes and go to a gig knowing all the songs.

The worst-the constant singing by fans coupled with the poor sound system meant at times I couldn't hear the band play. I was in the middle of the crowd and all. Bus home was a joke. Gig finished at 10, took a hour to get to the bus. Then the bus didn't move for an hour to an hour and a half. Then it took another hour or so to get through traffic on the one way road in Slane. By the time I was back in Dublin it was four in the morning, six hours after the gig finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

^^ took me 3 hours to walk to the pickup point!

Advertisement