Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Deal with Debt Collectors

Options
  • 16-12-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have just received a letter from a debt collection agency hired by my former ISP wishing to collect the outstanding balance owed on my account. I have found a posts on boards.ie concerning the debt collection agency and it appears they have no compunction of using any means necessary to encourage payment of the debt owed.

I have also read many posts here regarding dealing with debt collectors but a majority of them seem to be for dealing with secured loans such as car loans or property loans. As my debt is just a utility bill do the same rules apply?

From what I have read here the correct approach is to contact the debtor directly and to arrange payment through them (as this typically cuts out the debt collection agency and they get nothing). The debtor can choose to wipe off the debt if you can demonstrate that you are not in a position to pay the debt if not a payment schedule must be agreed. From what I have read this can be any amount that you are reasonably able to afford to pay, you must put the proposed payment schedule to the debtor in writing. What happens then though?

What happens if the debtor then decides that the payment isn't sufficient or has other problems with the payment schedule?

Does this prevent the debtor from adding additional charges to the debt such as late payment fee's etc?

If the debtor was not satisfied with your proposed payment schedule they could proceed to court in order to obtain a judgement for payment. I was under the impression that should such a case come before the courts and a repayment schedule has been proposed that the court will most likely dismiss the case as the courts do not wish to waste time on such cases. Does anyone know if this is true.

I have also read on boards.ie that debt collection agencies have no legal standing, how can I confirm this.

Regards,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

Tell them to **** off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just pay your debts.

Contact your ISP and arrange an agreed payment plan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Your on an internet forum,complaining that your isp is looking for there money!!

PAY WHAT YOU OWE! problem solved.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Your on an internet forum,complaining that your isp is looking for there money!!

He is trying.
    But he doesn't want to deal with a debt collection agency and is trying to go around them. Which in my opinion is a top notch idea.

Screw the collection agencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

PDD wrote: »
    What happens if the debtor then decides that the payment isn't sufficient or has other problems with the payment schedule?

Does this prevent the debtor from adding additional charges to the debt such as late payment fee's etc?

You're needlessly complicating the situation by dreaming up all sorts of what-if scenarios. Contact the ISP and arrange a payment schedule. Until you do that you can what-if the whole situation to death, but it won't help you. Anything you arrange should be in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

It all depends on whether the debt collection agency are acting on behalf of your isp, or are actually after purchasing your debt from the isp, at a reduced price and hoping to profit from it by coercing you into paying them.
    Ask the debt collection agency for a copy of an invoice and current account statement. If they can't provide these then it likely means that they've purchased the debt. If this is the case, you have no contract with them, so stuff 'em.
    Personally, i'd never ever pay money to a debt collection agency.
    Lots of utility suppliers sell on small debts to these companies at a percentage of the amount outstanding, and cut their losses rather than spend money and resources chasing the debts themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Further comments like this will not be tolerated. The OP is looking for advice here, not smart-arsery.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Refuse to deal with the collection agency.

Contact your service provider and agree a repayment plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Refuse to deal with the collection agency.

Contact your service provider and agree a repayment plan.

First step would be to see if the ISP has sold on the debt or is the collector working on behalf of the ISP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ask them for a recotding of the sales contract ( if you rang in to buy the service) under the distance selling regulations, no recording no contract .

• Advertisement
Advertisement