Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KLM241 in Trouble over Mayo???

Options
  • 16-12-2010 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Just a few minutes ago 16:10 I heard and saw an airplane at an unususal Altitude over east Mayo (Swinford) it looked to be somewhere between 15 and 20 thousand feet but clearly climbing, engine noise was much louder than normal.

I tuned into Shannon control and logged into Flight Radar and identified the airplane as KLM 241 -Reg: PH-BFO Model: Boeing 747-406 (M) (B744) but showing 32,000 feet on Flight Radar

At 16:14 Shannon Control transfered them to 132.5 and requested them to go to 32,000 ft, but then a few min later to 33,000.

Clearly they were not at their assigned FL when I first saw it, Does anybody have any idea what could have been happening with this flight?
    No other aircraft have come in this direction since this apart from Ryanair to knock at 28,000 feet which is enroute at the moment, but only down over Killkenny at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thats interesting. It seems to have continued on out westward so cant see it having any major issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

If you use the "replay" function on this site you should be able to review the flight's track and flight level. http://casper.frontier.nl/eidw/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2 KLM aircraft flew over Castlebar this afternoon,first was about 1550,PH-KCG(MD-11) at 34,000ft and secondly the one you mentioned PH-BFO at 32,000ft at around 1610-and i agree,it did sound very loud.I also caught a glimpse of G-STRF(B737) heading in a NW-SE direction at around 1730.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

mayotom wrote: »
    Just a few minutes ago 16:10 I heard and saw an airplane at an unususal Altitude over east Mayo (Swinford) it looked to be somewhere between 15 and 20 thousand feet but clearly climbing, engine noise was much louder than normal.

I tuned into Shannon control and logged into Flight Radar and identified the airplane as KLM 241 -Reg: PH-BFO Model: Boeing 747-406 (M) (B744) but showing 32,000 feet on Flight Radar

At 16:14 Shannon Control transfered them to 132.5 and requested them to go to 32,000 ft, but then a few min later to 33,000.

Clearly they were not at their assigned FL when I first saw it, Does anybody have any idea what could have been happening with this flight?
    No other aircraft have come in this direction since this apart from Ryanair to knock at 28,000 feet which is enroute at the moment, but only down over Killkenny at the moment.

Are you sure it was that particular flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Are you sure it was that particular flight?

yeah definately , could even see the KLM markings it was a 747 and there were no other 747's over Ireland at that time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Id say it was klm 685 (PH-BFU) you seen and not klm 241 as flight klm 241 is operated by a md11 (PH-KCI).Klm 685 was over Mayo around 16:00 but doesn't seem to be in any trouble and is at 32000 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Actually yes it was KLM 685, that I was monitoring, 241 must be from another flight that Shannon was communicating with, to many numbers for me at one time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

One thing to point out that of late with the cold weather and relatively calm conditions jet engine sounds seem to be louder thus giving the impression something odd is happening.

Advertisement