Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dynamite!! 2010 **Spoilers**

• 16-12-2010 6:07pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Dream's end of year show finally starting to take shape:

Champ Marius Zaromskis vs. Kazushi Sakuraba (for welterweight title)
    Shinya Aoki vs. Yuichiro Nagashim+
    Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Josh Thomson
    Kazuyuki Miyata vs. Caol Uno
    Akiyo "Wicky" Nishiura vs. Tetsuya Yamato@
    Champ Bibiano Fernandes vs. Hiroyuki Takaya (for featherweight title)
    Jason High vs. Hayato Sakurai*

+ - MMA/K-1 mixed-rules bout
    @ - K-1 rules bout
    * - Not officially announced

source http://mmajunkie.com/event/698/dream-dynamite-2010.mma

Overeem and Manhoef the big names going through the rumourmill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Overeem said on twitter that he's still in Japan cause he's gonna be competing on this, more then likely for the Dream HW title.No word on opponent though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

What a pointless title the Dream HW championship would be. I love Dream, but their HW division basically consists of Overeem, Monson, Sergei, Barnett and basically a bunch of cans. And even then Monson and Barnett only fought for them once, Sergei twice. Pure meaningless title at the moment, especially considering Dream might not be around much longer anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Dream only seems to be interested in using heavyweights as leglock practice for Minnowa. Still it will be good to see Overeem in an mma fight again

Only if its against someone of a certain quality. No point in him fighting the likes of James Thompson again. There's rumours it will be Satoshi Ishii who, while a great prospect, is 3-1 and the fight would do neither any favours.

I'd say its pretty likely it will be Ishii, its more about ratings as far as Dream are concerned now, rather than the prospects of their fighters and as far as I am aware Ishii-Minnow got big ratings (and it was arranged just to get big ratings)?

• Advertisement

That's my one gripe with Dream, and Japanese MMA historically, is their willingness just to throw guys to the wolves regardless of the effects to their career and/or health (see ridiculous weight mismatches), all in the name of ratings. In a way, sometimes it seems they make matches in the mindset of sports entertainment rather than genuine sport.

Jayo_M wrote: »
    In a way, sometimes it seems they make matches in the mindset of sports entertainment rather than genuine sport.

Definitely, they seem to have something about putting high-level judoka's in crazy debuts, Ishii himself debuted against Yoshida in a ratings grabber last year, then back in Pride Pawel Nastula against Rodrigo Nogueira and Dong-Sik-Yoon against Sakuraba. And the fact that Sakuraba is now fighting for the welterweight championship pretty much says it all.

But I guess its nice to have somewhere crazy to turn to after watching 2 elite wrestlers jab each other in the face for 25 minutes (well technically only one was jabbing and the other was missing overhands):D

Sure they might aswell have Overeem challenge Minowaman for the Super Hulk title, carries more prestige than the HW anyway :-p

I honestly wouldn't be surprised :D

Word from Dave Meltzer is that Dream are working on Overeem Vs Lashley for the title, although he's very sceptical about their chances of pulling it off. Honestly wasn't expecting that. Did Chad Griggs turn it down? :p

• Advertisement

Hard to see them getting that together at such short notice, would probably take a lot of money that they don't seem to have. At least they could afford Griggs :D Would be a good 'superfight' though

Its been confirmed that Mousasi will be taking on Kyotaro, the reigning K-1 Heavyweight Champion, under K-1 rules. I'm not sure what I make of Mousasi' chances in this one, strange fight for him to take.

Kharitonov Vs Mizuno has been confirmed. Mizuno looked better than expected during the LHW GP, but if Sergei has still holds any ambitions of fulfilling his potential to be a top HW he really needs to put in a big performance here.

Jerome Le Banner is now rumoured to be taking on Ishii instead of Mizuno.

Did Kharitonov fight at the recent K-1 event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Did Kharitonov fight at the recent K-1 event?

Yes, Spoiler tagging result
    TKO loss to Singh Jaideep at the GP last weekend.

Minowa is set to fight another another Olympic judoka, Hiroshi Izumi, can't say I'm too excited by this.

Yeah Kharitonov really needs a big win to get back on the mma radar

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

Are they trying to get Sakuraba killed by pitting him with Zaromskis? I know the guy has vulnerable spots in his defence but if some of those high kicks do connect, I will really fear for Sakuraba's health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

They said on inside mma last night that overeem wants to fight Semmy Schilt in an mma fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Looking forward to this. Love the production on Dream shows and there's always some good fights from the lighter guys.

Couple of new fights official, from mmajunkie.com:
    • Satoshi Ishii vs. Jerome Le Banner
    • Sergei Kharitonov vs. Tatsuya Mizuno
    • Alistair Overeem vs. TBA
    • Bob Sapp vs. Shinichi Suzukawa
    An appearance by Overeem has been guaranteed by Dream (whatever thats worth)

• Advertisement

Todd Duffee's Facebook (official) says he will be fighting Overeem at Dream. Apparently he is in the mix, but nothing confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Todd Duffee's Facebook (official) says he will be fighting Overeem at Dream. Apparently he is in the mix, but nothing confirmed.

Wow, now THAT'S a fight right there! I really hope this happens. I really don't wanna see a repeat of the James Thompson fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

Heard the Duffee v Overeem rumour myself. While looks wise it looks like a good matchup (2 monster heavyweights) Overeem would kill Duffee considereing what Russow did to him with the hammerfist of death lol

*UPDATE: Todd Duffee pulled out of the proposed Dream Dynamite 2010 New Year’s Eve bout with Alistair Overeem this morning after receiving the contract and feeling the money was not right. He will now face a TUF 10 alum at Titan Fighting Championships on January 29th while Overeem will remain on the Dream NYE card with an opponent yet to be named.

Source

Shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

not sure what sane and professional sportsmen would take a fight with overeem at 2 weeks notice for less than 100k

Ariel Helwani has just posted on article on mmafighting.com saying "sources" have confirmed the fight is now going ahead.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/12/23/sources-alistair-overeem-vs-todd-duffee-set-for-dynamite-201/

Who knows though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Ah Jaysus what a mismatch, Duffee will only last as long as the Reem wants him to.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Isn't this supposed to be Uno's last fight? :(

Really? I never heard that. Shame if it is. Is this fight at 155 or 45? It'd be a good move for Caol if its at 45, surely he could easily make the cut. If he has a really good showing here, I reckon it won't be the last we see of him.

• Advertisement

Really? I never heard that. Shame if it is. Is this fight at 155 or 45? It'd be a good move for Caol if its at 45, surely he could easily make the cut. If he has a really good showing here, I reckon it won't be the last we see of him.

Nearly sure it's at 45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Fromvert wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus what a mismatch, Duffee will only last as long as the Reem wants him to.

I thinks its safe to say that this was expected. They weren't going to pit against someone tough so soon after winning the WGP only a couple of weeks ago.

There's a combination od Overeem over-estimation and Duffee under-estimation here.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    There's a combination od Overeem over-estimation and Duffee under-estimation here.

That's ridiculous, you could say that about literally every fight if you wanted.

ScareGilly wrote: »
    That's ridiculous, you could say that about literally every fight if you wanted.

So, if you could say it about literally every fight, what makes it so ridiculous? Your statement seems ridiculously contradictory!

So, if you could say it about literally every fight, what makes it so ridiculous? Your statement seems ridiculously contradictory!

Well it seemed you were implying that it was just that fight that wasn't as mismatched as people thought, which is why I thought it ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Well it seemed you were implying that it was just that fight that wasn't as mismatched as people thought, which is why I thought it ridiculous.

I agree Overeem is the man, but i think a lot of fans tend to get a little carried away with their Overeem fandom! (like quite a few placing him #1 HW or in the Top 3 in the world in the other thread, despite him having never fought a Top 10 HW in his life).

I think Duffee has more than a small chance here. He has some SERIOUS power and Overeem isn't exactly afraid to take a shot.

I agree Overeem is the man, but i think a lot of fans tend to get a little carried away with their Overeem fandom! (like quite a few placing him #1 HW or in the Top 3 in the world in the other thread, despite him having never fought a Top 10 HW in his life).

I think Duffee has more than a small chance here. He has some SERIOUS power and Overeem isn't exactly afraid to take a shot.

I've spoken before about my distaste for ranking, and I think it should just be champ and contenders... Although, at the time he fought him, Rogers was in the top 10..

Serious Power? I've only seen his two UFC fights, one was 7 seconds long, in the other, he wasn't able to put Mike Russow away. To me, it seems like Brett Rogers has better stand up and more power than Todd Duffee, and Overeem dispatched him with ease, I'm expecting Overeem to win this fairly comfortably. The only reason people are thinking Duffee has a chance is his 'power' that I have yet to see. This would practically be the same as GSP vs. Koscheck in a stand up fight. All Koscheck/Duffee can do is hope that one big haymaker lands.

I've spoken before about my distaste for ranking, and I think it should just be champ and contenders... Although, at the time he fought him, Rogers was in the top 10..

Serious Power? I've only seen his two UFC fights, one was 7 seconds long, in the other, he wasn't able to put Mike Russow away. To me, it seems like Brett Rogers has better stand up and more power than Todd Duffee, and Overeem dispatched him with ease, I'm expecting Overeem to win this fairly comfortably. The only reason people are thinking Duffee has a chance is his 'power' that I have yet to see. This would practically be the same as GSP vs. Koscheck in a stand up fight. All Koscheck/Duffee can do is hope that one big haymaker lands.

For a start, Overeem DOES NOT equal GSP in ANY way! Another thing, Rogers was not ever a Top 10 HW.

Also, just because it seems a past opponent had this and that, does not mean.... well, anything. Each fight is different. The way Overeem dispatched of Rogers was impressive to say the least, and I would still fancy him to beat Duffee, but the way people are giving him no hope is, in my opinion, a mixture of over-estimation of Overeem and under-estimation of Duffee.

IMO, Overeem would be a nice draw in the UFC, but would get eaten alive by the top guys! We'll never see this however, because he's smashing heads in K-1 and making a shed load of money fighting the James Thompsons of the world in Japan.

For a start, Overeem DOES NOT equal GSP in ANY way! Another thing, Rogers was not ever a Top 10 HW.
    Well, this fight is pretty much the same as the Koscheck/GSP fight so I think he equals GSP in this fight? And I think you'll find lots of MMA rankings had him in the top 10 at that point, albeit at number 10.
    Also, just because it seems a past opponent had this and that, does not mean.... well, anything. Each fight is different. The way Overeem dispatched of Rogers was impressive to say the least, and I would still fancy him to beat Duffee, but the way people are giving him no hope is, in my opinion, a mixture of over-estimation of Overeem and under-estimation of Duffee.
    I agree people are ruling out Duffee too quickly, I can see him landing a few heavy shots/outwrestling, but if that doesn't work, he's gone imo. I was just stating why people might think that Overeem has such a massive chance at winning.
    IMO, Overeem would be a nice draw in the UFC, but would get eaten alive by the top guys! We'll never see this however, because he's smashing heads in K-1 and making a shed load of money fighting the James Thompsons of the world in Japan.

A lot of the top guys are in Strikeforce, Fedor, Werdum, Overeem, Bigfoot and Barnett(If he stopped juicin') would all be contenders in the UFC, and he's going to have to fight some of them if this HW Grand Prix goes ahead. The only difference between the UFC heavyweight division and the Strikeforce HW division is depth, all their top fighters are around the same level IMO.

I'd say Overeem would join the UFC if Dana would let him fight in K1, but he won't, so that's not something we'll see.
    But by the looks of things, this will turn into a UFC vs. Every other promotion thread so I'll leave it at that...

Eaten alive by who? There's no way Cain, JDS or Carwin would eat him alive. All those fights would be very competitive. As for the rest of the division, chances are Overeem would walk through the likes of Lesnar, Nelson, Mir, Schaub and Struve.

• Advertisement

Eaten alive by who? There's no way Cain, JDS or Carwin would eat him alive. All those fights would be very competitive. As for the rest of the division, chances are Overeem would walk through the likes of Lesnar, Nelson, Mir, Schaub and Struve.

For a start, Cain and JDS would eat him alive. It's a close fight on the feet, but if it hit the ground, Overeem isn't getting near either fight!

Have to disagree with that. It's not like Overeem is lost on the ground, and I haven't seen anything to suggest Dos Santos is better grappler than him. As for Cain, I don't think his stand up is nearly close to Overeem's. If it hits the ground, chances are it won't stay there for long. Cain struggled to keep Rothwell and Kongo on the ground after he got them there.

*Cough* UFC vs. Other promotions HW Fight Night would be amazing *Cough*
    Overeem vs. JDS
    Cain vs. Fedor
    Barnett vs. Lesnar/Big Nog
    Bigfoot vs. Carwin
    Mir vs. Werdum
    Rogers vs. Nelson
    Semmy Schilt vs. Stefan Struve

Off Topic but still, how amazing would they be?
    All FoTNs? :rolleyes:

Overeem vs. JDS
    Cain vs. Fedor
    Bigfoot vs. Carwin
    Mir vs. Werdum
    Rogers vs. Nelson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Where does the Reem lose this fight?

Standing - Duffee is a dead man.
    Wrestling - I don't think Duffee wrestled in college, same can be said about the Reem
    Grappling - Didn't the Reem win gold in the European grappling championships a few years ago?

The Reem wins.

Anyone who says otherwise I will easily take odds on him losing this fight.

Overeem vs. JDS
    Cain vs. Fedor
    Bigfoot vs. Carwin
    Mir vs. Werdum
    Rogers vs. Nelson

Off Topic but still, how amazing would they be?
    All FoTNs? :rolleyes:

That would be pretty class, can only the "UFC'ers" coming away with two wins there thanks to Carwin and Nelson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

The Reem is going to smash Dufee IMO. Interesting match-up though, looking forward to seeing how it goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

I am a huge fan of Ubereem i have to say, and have been since before the commonfolk jumped on board, he will win this comfortably imo unless he gets caught of course like any other fghter. but i think he is too smart for this. he has been around for along time and had serious personal problems that reflected his form in mma in the past.
    in the past 3 years he has put on alot of weight and is now very comfortable wiith carrying it which makes him very very dangerous.

I don't see where he is bad in a technical sense to be honest, his stand up is super, grappling spoke for itself, and BJJ i am sure is fantastic.

Winning K1 is not beating cans if there is no Badr Hari like someone almost implied on this thread, it is the best kickboxers around. if a winner was to make a transition from K1 to mma there would be alot of talk about it and has been in the past. Ubereem has proved to be a world contender at lhw and almost knocked out chuck in his prime in pride gp back in the day.
    He handled a top ten HW at the time like a rag doll(rogers) and now no professional fighter in his weight class wants to fight him, which is saying alot imo after all they would have a better insight than the common fan like you or i(insode information etc)

Plus Bas Rutten trains with him regularly and has said for along time that he is no1!

Fromvert wrote: »
    Where does the Reem lose this fight?

Standing - Duffee is a dead man.
    Wrestling - I don't think Duffee wrestled in college, same can be said about the Reem
    Grappling - Didn't the Reem win gold in the European grappling championships a few years ago?

The Reem wins.

Anyone who says otherwise I will easily take odds on him losing this fight.

Overeem wins this fight.
    .....I would still fancy him to beat Duffee, but the way people are giving him no hope is, in my opinion, a mixture of over-estimation of Overeem and under-estimation of Duffee.

Overeem vs. JDS
    Cain vs. Fedor
    Bigfoot vs. Carwin
    Mir vs. Werdum
    Rogers vs. Nelson

Hmm...
    I'd go with

Overeem vs. JDS - Too close to call
    Cain vs. Fedor
    Barnett vs. Lesnar/Big Nog - Beats Lesnar but Big Nog would be a good fight
    Bigfoot vs. Carwin - His Shovel head would take a beating in the first, Carwin would gas and then Bigfoot would come back in the 2nd
    Mir vs. Werdum - Unless Mir brings the fight to the ground he should win.
    Rogers vs. Nelson
    Semmy Schilt vs. Stefan Struve - Too close to call again :mad:

Damn me and my incredible matchmaking skills, I should replace Joe Silva :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement