Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD resit fee extortionate

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭desdman

Essentially,It is financially fleecing students,or parents I should say.I know I am going off the topic a bit but what I don't understand is why is UCD building a new student centre?.UCD are at least €12million euro in debt!!!, yet we can afford to build a new student centre:confused: .I think the reason they charge €230 is to reduce some of the €12million euro debt.
    Just my opinion :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

In fairness, the student centre has been planned for a long time and will have many valuable things that most decent universities around the world take for granted.

To beat the old drum again, bringing back fees for those who can pay them is needed in the long term (and not credit ruining Australian student loans, actual fees paid by those who can afford them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

A guy in my class failed five modules last semester so has to pay €1,150. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

If you're entitled to a grant surely that pays the resit fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

qwert2 wrote: »

I'd assume/hope not?

Open to correction though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

aine92 wrote: »
    Just to throw in my 2cents here...

I failed one of my modules last semester. It was a module I really, really, liked, I went to every single lab, every single tutorial and lecture, studied all the time. My final exam was worth 60% and all the other continuous assessment stuff was worth 40%. I missed my final exam due to something COMPLETELY beyond my control, UCD wouldn't even humour my plea for extenuating circumstances..Got my results anyway and turns out had I gotten 3% more, i would have had enough marks to compensate for the module without even doing the final exam, which means I was averaging a pretty class 70%-ish considering the difficulty of the module.

So because they wouldn't accept my circumstances, I failed the module, had to pay €230 and have another exam at the end of the year. So if one of ye guys really genuinely thinks that is fair that I missed my exam that I know I would have done quite well in and I have to pay a ridiculous amount of money...I mean, you're just ignorant then. Its not like I didn't bother turning up or bother to study or whatever. €230 to me would literally fund 10 nights out!

And to the guy who spends €100 on a night out and "plays soccer"...you're just an idiot.

Depends what the circumstances were, just because you think they are extenuating doesnt mean they are. I'm sure if your dog dies you may think that a valid excuse not to go to an exam i doubt UCD/ AN employer would.

qwert2 wrote: »

No it doesn't pay it and why should it either?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Depends what the circumstances were, just because you think they are extenuating doesnt mean they are. I'm sure if your dog dies you may think that a valid excuse not to go to an exam i doubt UCD/ AN employer would.

Wow, that is actually even beyond insulting that you think my dog dying would qualify as a case of an extenuating circumstance...I'm not so much of a thick that I'd actually pay €230 just because of something like my dog dying..you are just so ignorant.

My circumstances were literally beyond my control, I'm not going into detail, but I wasn't humoured. I can guarantee you that my "excuse" as you so kindly put it was 100% valid.

And going along with what everybody else was saying also, I agree that a certain fee is required or else nobody would care about failing, but my god if I had to pay even €50 for failing I'd still be pretty pissed about it. We're not saying its completely unjustified, its just too much money, bottom line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Wow, that is actually even beyond insulting that you think my dog dying would qualify as a case of an extenuating circumstance...I'm not so much of a thick that I'd actually pay €230 just because of something like my dog dying..you are just so ignorant.

My circumstances were literally beyond my control, I'm not going into detail, but I wasn't humoured. I can guarantee you that my "excuse" as you so kindly put it was 100% valid.

And going along with what everybody else was saying also, I agree that a certain fee is required or else nobody would care about failing, but my god if I had to pay even €50 for failing I'd still be pretty pissed about it. We're not saying its completely unjustified, its just too much money, bottom line.

You have taken helimachoptor up all wrong, he wasn't comparing your circumstances to a dog dying, he was just pointing out that UCD won't see certain circumstances as extenuating although the individual will.

On your second point, I completely agree. 230 euro is far too much money.

I actually feel embaressed for the people that actually argued in favour of it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

How much is a fair amount then?

• Advertisement

How much is a fair amount then?

The average that all of the other universities charge, around 60 Euro.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

as Soccer pointed out, i wasnt saying your circumstances are equivalent to a dog dying. More that people have different views of what qualifies as extenuating and as an extension to this UCD will have views on what qualifies as extenuating.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

The average that all of the other universities charge, around 60 Euro.

In Tallaght IT it's €50. €230 is extortionate.

In Tallaght IT it's €50. €230 is extortionate.

It would be better to compare Trinity or DCU since they are universities and have an amount of staff and students comparable to UCD.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

It would be better to compare Trinity or DCU since they are universities and have an amount of staff and students comparable to UCD.

I don't know what it is in TCD or DCU. I know what it is in Tallaght because my brother did a repeat last year and that's what he paid.

Either way, it doesn't matter. There's really no justification for such a high sum of money, not even as a scaremongering device.

I don't know what it is in TCD or DCU. I know what it is in Tallaght because my brother did a repeat last year and that's what he paid.

Either way, it doesn't matter. There's really no justification for such a high sum of money, not even as a scaremongering device.

It's free in TCD, dunno what it is in DCU but I know it's no where near 230.

Advertisement