Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth breathing life into old Dell Inspiron 4000?

Options
  • 16-12-2010 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was looking for some advice on what to do with a spare laptop. I don't believe in binning (recycling) unless something has no use value any more.

I've an old laptop that I want to upgrade myself as I've seen some very cheap HDs on eBay in US. OEM for Dell.

Its a Dell Inspiron 4000 original spec 192MB RAM, 5GB HD, PIII 850MHz etc. cd drive, no dvd, no wireless card. I'm wondering is it worth my upgrading it to 512mb even a 40GB HD as its less than €80 and I've fitted RAM no prob before so I'll give the HD a go too.

It has a dodgy DC jack connector so I just ordered that for €4 delivered on eBay from UK (€75-99 for an Irish company to do it for me!! Its pricing like that that makes us all learn stuff ourselves). I know I'll need a soldering kit but that can be used in future projects, so its not a cost in this project.

My question is, although it own't have a 1.3MP webcam built in , nor wifi, nor bluetooth (but neither does my 1300 have bluetooth), and although its a slower processor, it still ran great on XP. Wouldn't it be €80 better spent on upgrading an Inspiron 4000 (quite light) to the max, for use as a netbook, rather than shelling out €200-350 for one?

In fact, leaving the RAM at 192 wouldn't be so bad with another OS such as GOS or Ubuntu if the HD went to 40GB. It's a lovely light laptop. Old but such a shame to get rid of.

Any thoughts?

It was stable for me. Perhaps I'd just change the DC jack and donate it to a good cause.

I currently use a Dell Inspiron 1300 upped to 2GB RAM but with a 40GB hard drive. Use an external drive with that.

Does anyone here keep old laptops going or do you just junk 'em? Contacted Camara but because this has a DC connector problem, they wouldn't be interested (must power up). Also they want €20 donation to wipe it, but I can do that myself with Defraggler.

Any thoughts? I like some of the suggestions on here http://ask.metafilter.com/96796/Someone-just-gave-me-a-crappy-laptop-Now-what

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Nothing wrong with an old laptop.

Before you spend the money, what would you use it for?

If you don't have a use for it, fix it, wipe it and stick a light linux distro on it and give it to a charity shop.

If you do have a use for it, upgrade it and use it, though you'd probably get better value by buying a newer machine.

Check out adverts for an idea as to second hand prices, and parts prices too! Sell it and give the proceeds to SVP/your favourite charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Nothing wrong with an old laptop.

Before you spend the money, what would you use it for?

If you don't have a use for it, fix it, wipe it and stick a light linux distro on it and give it to a charity shop.

If you do have a use for it, upgrade it and use it, though you'd probably get better value by buying a newer machine.

Check out adverts for an idea as to second hand prices, and parts prices too! Sell it and give the proceeds to SVP/your favourite charity.

I'd probably just keep it as a back-up laptop (if I was keeping it). What I will do so is see if I can fix the DC jack myself economically and, if not, see if I can get it done outsources economically i.e. 30 labour max. Then I can see how good / bad the battery is. I thought it was not bad before the DC problems started. If not, a reasonable 'titanium' replacement is 40 max on ebay and then a wifi card is about 10-20. Would be a lovely donation then to a charity or direct to someone I know who needs a laptop.

Thanks for the psychotherapy. Nice to 'think out loud', as it were! All input appreciated. Just hate to see old stuff die if it doesn't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I wouldn't dream of putting almost 100 quid into that laptop. It's just not worth it at all. You could probably pick up a second hand netbook for about that price.

Advertisement