Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I switch? Which Provider?

• 16-12-2010 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭

I currently have ADSL broadband and phone from Eircom on €57 package (NGB+Anytime All-Ireland calls).

I'm thinking of switching to a cheaper competitor to get similiar service for less money:o.

Thinking of Metro Chatterbox from Digiweb or Wimax from Imagine but worried about wireless quality. Should I stick with ADSL? I'm on Foxrock exchange so I think I can get Vodafone improved broadband?

Appreciate any tips or advice. Thanks, Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 uhooie

I currently have ADSL broadband and phone from Eircom on €57 package (NGB+Anytime All-Ireland calls).

I'm thinking of switching to a cheaper competitor to get similiar service for less money:o.

Thinking of Metro Chatterbox from Digiweb or Wimax from Imagine but worried about wireless quality. Should I stick with ADSL? I'm on Foxrock exchange so I think I can get Vodafone improved broadband?

Appreciate any tips or advice. Thanks, Paul

I'm in the same exchange and on the Vfone 3Mb/40GB +Anytime All-Ireland calls package for E40 pm. I've been getting 6Mb upto today (there seems to be a fault somewhere and I'm back to 1Mb for now). I don't know how it compares to Eircom's newer 8Mb service but it's been ok for me. (Apart from the crap DNS, I now use Google's).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Imagine WiMax can easily be poorer than 1Mbps DSL. It's a Mobile WiMax inappropriately rolled out on a Fixed Wireless frequency, which makes it worse. Mobile systems are about 1/8th capacity of Fixed Wireless for same spectrum and have no foolproof Contention control.

The Digiweb Metro is a Fixed Wireless "Line of Sight" system. They don't let you have it unless it's working properly. It's very like Cable Broadband, fed over a Wireless Link, so can be better than ordinary ADSL. If you get more than 7Mbps on ADSL or ADSL2+, then probabily better to stick with it rather than change to Metro. If you only get 1Mbps to 5Mbps on DSL, then Metro is likely better.

You can also use Magnet, Digiweb/Smart DSL, it will be better than eircom if they have LLU in the exchange. Quality varies with exchange and your line. Vodafone is all resold eircom and also ex-Perlico and ex BT/eSat/IOL Retail resold eircom. Almost everyone resells eircom. Some have better prices or better back-end performance or different caps so check UTV, Magnet, Digiweb/Smart and others. Vodafone's DSL performance/support seems patchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Thanks, guys. Sounds like by just moving to Vodafone I can get the same package as I have now for €45 (that's a saving of €144 per year:)) and I'll be using exactly the same equipment. This seems to be the best deal available at the moment using DSL.

Vodafone are boasting about their rollout of new enhanced broadband but from what you say, Watty, that's just another name for Eircom's 8Mb NGB?

My other option would be Digiwebs 4Mb Metro Chatterbox at €40. Only worry with this is 4Mb speed v. DSL's (up to!) 8Mb. I'm currently only connected at 2.816Mb but yesterday I had 6.x or so. I have no idea what I usually get so maybe I should monitor for a few days. One way or the other, it looks like I leave eircom and it's a toss up between Vodafone or Digiweb.

uhooie, how do you change DNS? Does it make a big difference? I had a big problem some months back with DNS lookups (something to do with router doing IPV6 lookups and timing out after 30 seconds) but sorted it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I get 7.5Mbps to 8Mbps on Metro 8Mbps at over 12km distance. Never less unless something is broken for an hour or two. I don't have "Chatterbox" just plain Metro and pay separately for what ever phone traffic is used. (two numbers and no eircom line rental)

Read up on Vodafone's DSL service. It appears to be less reliable at backend than other providers.

Yes, vodafone ONLY resell what ever eircom is giving them. Vodafone will be identical or worse than your current eircom service as it's vodafone's backent to actually connect to the Internet.

Well, I've just ordered Digiwebs Metro Chatterbox 4Mb service. Should be installed after Christmas with my Eircom number ported over a few weeks after that.

I'll report back in due course in case anyone else is interested.

Thanks again, Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

uhooie, how do you change DNS?

Google Public DNS configuration instructions

Well, I've just ordered Digiwebs Metro Chatterbox 4Mb service. Should be installed after Christmas with my Eircom number ported over a few weeks after that.

I'll report back in due course in case anyone else is interested.

Digiweb couldn't get a line of sight from my house to their transmitter 'cos of high trees. They were well organised on terms of handling my application, making appointment, etc. but in the end I'm still stuck with Eircom:(.

Really must make an effort to find a cheaper service.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dianehyde

Digiweb couldn't get a line of sight from my house to their transmitter 'cos of high trees. They were well organised on terms of handling my application, making appointment, etc. but in the end I'm still stuck with Eircom:(.

Really must make an effort to find a cheaper service.

My phone line is split with a neighbours - Eircom did it day one and never sorted it out - I have never been able to get conventional broadband. I signed up recently for Wimax and though all my problems were over, however when they came to the house to install they saw that we are surrounded by tall trees also and siad that the signal would not be good enough for the service, So back to square one like yourself. I have today signed up with digiweb chatterbox, are you saying that it will probably be the same story - as in its a line of sight thing that digiweb do?
    If so let me know how you get on and where you can get broadband from.
    Thanks

AFAIK Digiweb and Imagine Wimax use different mast locations. Where I live the Digiweb transmitter is on Three Rock (front of house) but the Wimax is at Whites Cross (back of house). So it is possible you might be OK for Digiweb but not Wimax - I guess you'll just have to wait and see. Both these services require "line of sight" between transmitter and receiver.

Could you not get GSM Broadband e.g. from Three? This doesn't require "line-of-sight".

You also mention in another post that your father-in-law is nearby and has wireless broadband but you can't pick up the signal on your laptop. By using an external USB adapter you would get a stronger signal maybe something like this? I think you can also pair this with an internal or external antenna to get a very strong signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dianehyde

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for reply - I live in Waterford and the exchange I believe is in the same line of sight for both.
    I recently bought the TP Link antenna but it didnt pick up my father in laws. Which I was surprised as I only needed an extra 50 feet or so. I really thought that the USB antenna would be the answer to my broadband prayers.
    I may just get the other internal antenna for his router.

I have the "3" mobile broadband for the last 3 years and it just ok. usually I can get 2 bars maybe 3 early in the morning, however this cuts in and out about every 4/7/12 minutes. the help desk cant fix it and I am tied into a contract again. I had to sign up for a new contract to get an improved modem. They suggested a new hard disk which I did too, to no avail.
    I am withered with the whole lot of them at this stage.

Thanks again for your input.
    Diane

• Advertisement

There are a huge range of TP-Link products on the Amazon website. Reading some of the customer reviews people have got great results, e.g. one guy went from seeing 5 networks to 35 and somebody else was picking up the free wireless from a Pub 1/2 a mile away. I would have though even using a USB modem on a cable (so it can be held up) rather than stuck directly into a laptop would give you a connection. Nevertheless, I strongly believe you should be able to find a relatively cheap wireless solution using the right combination of USB Modem and antenna. I presume your father-in-law has the standard Eircom Netopia 2247NWG Router. Might be worth starting a new thread to find out if other people have achieved long distance connections to this router and how they did it? Could the router be moved to a position in the house closer to your house? Or near a window facing you?

Advertisement