Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

YLOD PS3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Spooky that so many have been going lately, mine has just gone now as well, a 60GB phat model. I know last year some folk had success going through the small claims court, has there been much success for folks recently?

I've had mine just over three years so I've enjoyed it a lot but I can't help but feel something I paid €600+ for should last a little longer than 3 years especially when it's had light use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I just wish I'd re-read this thread a couple of weeks ago and traded it in with a clear conscience.

I've pretty much run mine into the ground for three and a half years so don't feel too annoyed about the money I've spent but yeah it's a bit strange how they all seem to be dying right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 crocko

baldymac wrote: »
    well my fat 1 got the YLOD yesterday, around 4.45, i was playing a game
    and it just froooze on the tv ..turned off the PS an started it again, an seen the yellow light. so its fecked, game still in there any sugg how to get it out, im willing to use a hammer,

well the good news is i bought a new slim 320gb at 5.45

happy days

for now.

Are you going to sell the old console if so pm me please!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 crocko

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I just wish I'd re-read this thread a couple of weeks ago and traded it in with a clear conscience.

I've pretty much run mine into the ground for three and a half years so don't feel too annoyed about the money I've spent but yeah it's a bit strange how they all seem to be dying right now.

These consoles should last a life time reguardless of the amount of usage.
    I bought 60GB on lauch date for E630 the reason they are dying is due to poor design, my first console lasted 2 years got it replaced by Sony even after the warranty,for E16 to cover the postage.The replacement which carries a 3 month warranty lasted 16 months which Sony again replaced for E16 and that replacement console died last Friday all consoles got the "YLOD" contacted Sony they now want E160 for a refurbished console BOLL**Ks to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

Well lads and girls . I got my YLOD ps3 replaced today free of charge by Sony.

It was out of warrenty by about 10 months.

Worth noting that it was my SECOND ps3 that I replaced after the first one had a problem with the blue ray laser.

Get on to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

LakesKeane wrote: »
    Well lads and girls . I got my YLOD ps3 replaced today free of charge by Sony.

It was out of warrenty by about 10 months.

Worth noting that it was my SECOND ps3 that I replaced after the first one had a problem with the blue ray laser.

Get on to them!

Can you give us more details? Did they replace it with the exact same model that you handed them?

I had a 40 GB phat, they replaced it with an 80GB phat refurb as they are not doing the 40GB anymore.

I sent an email to Sony Ireland telling them about my case, Spending €560 euro on two consoles heading for a third in under 3 years.

They replied back saying they'd replace it for free for me.

They replaced it through the original retailer.

I had no receipt either :eek:

I forwarded on the emails from sony to the retailer and everything was fine

I had a 40 GB phat, they replaced it with an 80GB phat refurb as they are not doing the 40GB anymore.

I sent an email to Sony Ireland telling them about my case, Spending €560 euro on two consoles heading for a third in under 3 years.

Nice, going to swap in our old 40GB hard-drive (we replaced it with a 500GB) and email them, saying this is our 3rd PS3 to break down (seriously, first one stopped reading Blu-Rays, second one stopped booting properly, and now this).

Would it matter if the "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED" sticker is gone?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Would it matter if the "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED" sticker is gone?

It could.
    They could argue that you introduced the fault by opening the console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

They replaced mine for free aswel.
    I had the original 60GB one, it ylod, they replaced it with another 60GB after me paying like 130, it ylod just before xmas..they replaced it for free,,giving me a 120GB slim! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

baldymac wrote: »
    well my fat 1 got the YLOD yesterday, around 4.45, i was playing a game
    and it just froooze on the tv ..turned off the PS an started it again, an seen the yellow light. so its fecked, game still in there any sugg how to get it out, im willing to use a hammer,

well the good news is i bought a new slim 320gb at 5.45

happy days

for now.

Why didn't you research fixing this yourself? You could have bought the tools needed for €30 and fixed it in an hour...

I fixed mine last night with a heat gun and some new thermal compound - works a treat now. Simple process, loads of tutorials on youtube showing you what needs to be done.

I don't understand the rationale in buying a brand new PS3 one hour after your old one stopped working, this amazes me....

Keyzer wrote: »
    Why didn't you research fixing this yourself? You could have bought the tools needed for €30 and fixed it in an hour...

I fixed mine last night with a heat gun and some new thermal compound - works a treat now. Simple process, loads of tutorials on youtube showing you what needs to be done.

I don't understand the rationale in buying a brand new PS3 one hour after your old one stopped working, this amazes me....

They don't last if you reflow the solder yourself. So I've heard.
    Can get anything from a week to a couple of months out of it.

We shouldn't have to be doing this sort of stuff ourselves anyways. At least MS recognised the fact that the original X360s had a problem and extended the warrenty to 3 years. Sony are still in denial that there is a problem.:mad:

crocko wrote: »
    These consoles should last a life time reguardless of the amount of usage.
    I bought 60GB on lauch date for E630 the reason they are dying is due to poor design, my first console lasted 2 years got it replaced by Sony even after the warranty,for E16 to cover the postage.The replacement which carries a 3 month warranty lasted 16 months which Sony again replaced for E16 and that replacement console died last Friday all consoles got the "YLOD" contacted Sony they now want E160 for a refurbished console BOLL**Ks to that.

Don't be ridiculous - no appliance can be expected to last a lifetime. Would you expect a car or a television to work for 70 years without maintenance or servicing?

When I opened mine up and fixed it there was very little heat sink gel on the graphics and CPU chips. This can happen to a PC or a laptop too.

Also, from witnessing family and friends who have PS3's - they are heavily used for gaming and movies and I have seen them being left on for hours upon hours. They are not super computers. Take care of it if it means that much to you.

If its in warranty, send it back. If not, fix the bloody thing yourself, its not rocket surgery.

They don't last if you reflow the solder yourself. So I've heard.
    Can get anything from a week to a couple of months out of it.

We shouldn't have to be doing this sort of stuff ourselves anyways. At least MS recognised the fact that the original X360s had a problem and extended the warrenty to 3 years. Sony are still in denial that there is a problem.:mad:

I'll let you know how it goes but I am almost certain the problem is resolved - there was next to no heat sink gel left on the chips. I applied a healthy coat of arctic silver and bada-bing it came back on first time.

The same thing happens with a PC/Laptop. It can take nano-seconds for the chips to overheat if they are not cooled properly.

Answer me this:

1. How often and for how long per sitting would you use your PS3?
    2. How do you have it stored? Horizontally? In an enclosed cabinet?

I kind of wish I'd tried to fix mine. I gave it to my Sister's Boyfriend to fix it and he's got it working now but I've got myself a Slim. I much prefer the look of the old PS3, I miss backwards compatability and I'm really struggling to get used to only having two USB ports.

• Advertisement

eosirl08. wrote: »
    Hey guys my ps3 yellow lighted a few weeks ago and i did the thing with the hairdryer which fixed it for about 5-6 days. then it went again. So since then i get about 3-4 days out of it before it flashes again. but the interesting thing is it will only last 5 mins when i use the ps move. Anybody got any idea why it happens so frequently with the move and not with other games? p.s have to wait till end of month payday to get a new one frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Tutorials online specifcally state that you need to use a heat gun - you can get them in Atlantic Homecare for 12 quid...

I'll let you know how it goes but I am almost certain the problem is resolved - there was next to no heat sink gel left on the chips. I applied a healthy coat of arctic silver and bada-bing it came back on first time.

The same thing happens with a PC/Laptop. It can take nano-seconds for the chips to overheat if they are not cooled properly.

Answer me this:

1. How often and for how long per sitting would you use your PS3?
    2. How do you have it stored? Horizontally? In an enclosed cabinet?

I genuinely hope you have it solved, and by the way you are talking you seem to know exactly what you are doing.

I know that the heat sink gel is extremely important and it seems sony skimped on it/used cheapo stuff. Along with using lead-free solder (although I hear this is common nowadays)

As for the state of my ps3. It was never left inside a cabinet, close to other devices, staked etc. It was always left out on the desk with plenty of space behind and beside it. I do tend to take care of my devices so I was very surprised when I got the YLOD. I tend to have it standing up / vertical.

Now that I have the replacement I can see where the old ps3 was stuggling. Whatever way Treyarch coded BO for the ps3 it seems to take a huge toll on its resources. My old 40gb used to struggle bringing up the xmb in game / accepting game invites etc during black ops. The refurbed unit I got is alot quicker and more responsive.

I'll be sure to look out for these tell tail signs of a unit on the slippery slope and get it replaced in time next time. Hopefully there won't be a next time :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Don't be ridiculous - no appliance can be expected to last a lifetime. Would you expect a car or a television to work for 70 years without maintenance or servicing?

When I opened mine up and fixed it there was very little heat sink gel on the graphics and CPU chips. This can happen to a PC or a laptop too.

Also, from witnessing family and friends who have PS3's - they are heavily used for gaming and movies and I have seen them being left on for hours upon hours. They are not super computers. Take care of it if it means that much to you.

If its in warranty, send it back. If not, fix the bloody thing yourself, its not rocket surgery.

Nonsense, we're talking two, three, four & five years here not seventy. I've a 28 year old Vectrex here, still working flawlessly. I've multiple Atari 2600's, all perfect. Commodore 64...guess what, still working. NES, Mastersystems, Megadrives, Super Nintendo's, Mega CD's, 32X's, Saturns, N64's, a 3DO, a Jaguar, Dreamcasts, and the list goes on & on, all still working. All still doing what they were designed to do, decades after release. The original Xbox is a far better designed console that it's successor even.

Current gen consoles are built with lead free solder. While this may keep the eco-mentalists happy, they don't think about all the other pollutants used when replacement consoles are being made, & fuel impact while shipping broken units & refurbs around the place, etc etc. Build one console, build it to last, & it's the end of story. I'd argue if your concerned about the environment, it's better to do the damage once, than doing it three or four times.

The PS3 & Xbox360 are supposedly at the cutting edge of console technology, and despite that, there's Pong consoles out there still going, thirty years after being made. Some PS3's & 360's are lucky to last three years, let alone three decades. It's shocking what Sony & Microsoft have done with these. Microsoft to a lesser extent, as was mentioned above they provided a warranty extension, & acknowleded the problem in the first place.

It's also worth bearing in mind there's a commercial interest in making products that force the consumer into buying replacements every few years. That being said, my 60GB launch PS3 is still going today (touch wood, I really can't afford to replace it). But to say a four year old console is still working with enthusiasm, is just sad really. It shows what people these days are prepared to accept.

Keyzer, are you implying all these failures are as a result of lack of care on the part of the consumer? Granted with every generation, cpu's are running hotter & as such need better cooling solutions and ventilation. The ventilation part is down to the consumer, the cooling solution isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

What email address did you send your mail too? I've found Sony can be quite difficult to contact.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Nonsense, we're talking two, three, four & five years here not seventy. I've a 28 year old Vectrex here, still working flawlessly. I've multiple Atari 2600's, all perfect. Commodore 64...guess what, still working. NES, Mastersystems, Megadrives, Super Nintendo's, Mega CD's, 32X's, Saturns, N64's, a 3DO, a Jaguar, Dreamcasts, and the list goes on & on, all still working. All still doing what they were designed to do, decades after release. The original Xbox is a far better designed console that it's successor even.

Current gen consoles are built with lead free solder. While this may keep the eco-mentalists happy, they don't think about all the other pollutants used when replacement consoles are being made, & fuel impact while shipping broken units & refurbs around the place, etc etc. Build one console, build it to last, & it's the end of story. I'd argue if your concerned about the environment, it's better to do the damage once, than doing it three or four times.

The PS3 & Xbox360 are supposedly at the cutting edge of console technology, and despite that, there's Pong consoles out there still going, thirty years after being made. Some PS3's & 360's are lucky to last three years, let alone three decades. It's shocking what Sony & Microsoft have done with these. Microsoft to a lesser extent, as was mentioned above they provided a warranty extension, & acknowleded the problem in the first place.

It's also worth bearing in mind there's a commercial interest in making products that force the consumer into buying replacements every few years. That being said, my 60GB launch PS3 is still going today (touch wood, I really can't afford to replace it). But to say a four year old console is still working with enthusiasm, is just sad really. It shows what people these days are prepared to accept.

Keyzer, are you implying all these failures are as a result of lack of care on the part of the consumer? Granted with every generation, cpu's are running hotter & as such need better cooling solutions and ventilation. The ventilation part is down to the consumer, the cooling solution isn't.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but you cannot expect any appliance to last a lifetime.

All's I know is that the fix for my red flashing light issue took 20 mins and cost me 30 quid - the console is now working perefectly and is silent.

• Advertisement

To be fair, I'd expect that a PS3 is much more complex piece of kit than a Commodore 64, with more things that can go wrong. It's also a much cheaper piece of kit. My C64 cost £250 in 1987. I bought a PS3 Slim two weeks ago for £260 which, adjusted for inflation, I'd imagine is about a third of the price.

I take EnterNow's point about the lead-free solder though. I understand why they changed but once it became apparent that it was the solder which was causing a lot of the problems they really should have changed it, but I don't think that they have.

I almost accepted that my launch PS3 would die one day, but if my Slim dies in a few years I'll be far less forgiving.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but you cannot expect any appliance to last a lifetime.

All's I know is that the fix for my red flashing light issue took 20 mins and cost me 30 quid - the console is now working perefectly and is silent.

Don't get me wrong, I know nothing lasts forever - mechanical or elctronic, but my point is the PS3 units should be lasting a lot longer than they in fact are. Take a laptop for example, I'd consider them compact electronics that run hot. Yet heat for the most part isn't what kills them (it's dropping/impacts etc).

The PS3 & older 360's are poorly designed, there's no getting away form it.
    To be fair, I'd expect that a PS3 is much more complex piece of kit than a Commodore 64, with more things that can go wrong. It's also a much cheaper piece of kit. My C64 cost £250 in 1987. I bought a PS3 Slim two weeks ago for £260 which, adjusted for inflation, I'd imagine is about a third of the price.

I take EnterNow's point about the lead-free solder though. I understand why they changed but once it became apparent that it was the solder which was causing a lot of the problems they really should have changed it, but I don't think that they have.

I almost accepted that my launch PS3 would die one day, but if my Slim dies in a few years I'll be far less forgiving.

Bear in mind the original retail price of the PS3 was €599, it has come down in price due to cheaper production methods, more streamlined designs etc...but it was the most expensive console I've ever seen at launch.

Yes it's more complex than a C64, but it's the same thing failing all the time. It's weak solder bridges breaking, so while I see your point, I don't think it applies here. If the PS3 were failing of a multitude of random things I'd agree with you, but it's the same thing again and again (excluding bluray/dvd drive diode, but that affects most laser based products at one point or another).

There's a lot of reports of slim failures too, for the same reason. So although we've saved the planet by using lead free solder, we destroyed it again with all the other impacts that replacmeent units cause. That being said, Sony refuse point blank to acknowledge the problem in most cases. That's the hard part to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

My dear friend 60g fat passed away night. COD : YLOD . I got 5 good years out of her so she was quiet "old" still iam very upset of her passing. She have serve me well.

Bear in mind the original retail price of the PS3 was €599, it has come down in price due to cheaper production methods, more streamlined designs etc...but it was the most expensive console I've ever seen at launch.

But that price I quoted for the C64 wasn't a launch price either. The C64 cost $599 at launch in the States and £399 in the UK. Obviously there's little point converting that into Euros but the PS3 launch Sterling price was £425. Again, adjusted for inflation that's a third of the price of the C64. Sony got a lot of stick for the cost of its machine but I've always thought that it was extremely cheap, and cheap machinery isn't going to last.

EDIT - it's not a third of the cost but it's not far off. £399 in 1982 prices is £1,050 now.

http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/

but I've always thought that it was extremely cheap

Your one in a very, very small minority then.

The build quality isn't at question here, it's design quality. The weak solder is costsing people money, money they don't have. Denying the problem is just the icing on the cake though really. You'd have to wonder does it suit Sony to have all these people buying replacments at this stage? Granted if there's warranty it's a non issue, but what happens the replacement console in three years?

I do agree with you about the solder. I've already said that. You can almost understand why they changed but as soon as it was known that it was causing them problems they should have changed back. Sony aren't winning many friends with their whole attitude towards the YLOD.

As for the price, I think the figures speak for themselves. There is constant pressure to force the prices down but the price really should be higher and consequently build quality has to suffer. I only have to look at the amount of stuff thats been taken out of my PS3 Slim compared to my launch model to see the direct effect of this obsession with keeping the PS3 at an artificially low price.

Tried fixing mine again (3rd time), worked for about 1 hour and then it shut itself off and YLOD'd again. Not going to bother with another fix, will probably take their offer of trading it in and getting a slim for 170.

As for the price, I think the figures speak for themselves. There is constant pressure to force the prices down but the price really should be higher and consequently build quality has to suffer. I only have to look at the amount of stuff thats been taken out of my PS3 Slim compared to my launch model to see the direct effect of this obsession with keeping the PS3 at an artificially low price.

Production costs arn't what they were in the 90's, buying a six hundred euro piece of electronics that lasts three of four years is appaling. Granted the PS3 Slim has addressed the cost issues, with smaller form factors etc. But the lack of memory card slots, a power switch, & whatever other things were removed don't equate to why the original was so expensive.

The priduction cost of the PS3 was so big, that for years Sony were making a loss on every console (profit through software). That's only recently balanced out with hardware profits coming through nowadays. For all it's glory, I really don't see the difference between it & a modern 360. Granted there's a few 'your friend just plugged in a joypad' facebook/twitter things it does now, & video streaming (maybe the 360 does that too I'm not sure), but for all intents & purposes, if comparing them as gaming consoles I don't see where the extra cost has gone.

But regardless of what the 360 cost (and in my opinion the 360 has a far inferior build quality - although not to the extent that it should cost half the price to build than a PS3 does), the point is that Sony were making massive losses on the PS3 at launch as you recognise. They cut the price of the machine to the point where they made a massive loss on each unit sold. That says straight away that the pricing model was all wrong. They then addressed that issue by removing as much from the system as they could and leaving us with the cheap, tacky horrible piece of kit which is the PS3 Slim. When actually they should be saying that this is a very good piece of kit which is well built, has a huge amount of functionality and is worth €600+.

Of course the fact that we're having this conversation in the YLOD thread suggests that it's not been built overly well, but I think we'd both put that primarily down to the poor decision that Sony made with the solder.

You look at the cost of a decent TV, of a decent PC, a decent laptop... a cutting edge gaming/entertainment system should probably cost more especially if it's going to have the ten year system lifespan that we're told that both the 360 & the PS3 were planned to have.

Just went into town and bought myself a new PS3 slim 320g with a free controller plus Little Big Planet 2,all for €340 happy out!!

• Advertisement

I've actually never even seen or held a PS3 Slim, are they really that bad Beefy? Good points too.

I've actually never even seen or held a PS3 Slim, are they really that bad Beefy? Good points too.

I don't personally like it. I think it looks cheap, I'm not a fan of the finish they've given or the fact that they've added buttons where there previously were touch-sensitive panels. I appreciate that these could be stylistic choices but to me it just doesn't look anything like as impressive as the original machine did.

Plus obviously they've stripped out so much from the original machine - the SD card reader, half of the USB slots, backwards compatibility with the PS2... on top of removing the ability to use a different OS (which was obviously for a reason other than cost, to be fair). If they'd done it the other way around with the 'Slim' being the launch model then Sony would now be promoting the hell out of this amazingly functional 'Elite' system that they'd built. I'm actually struggling with only two USB slots. It annoys me a bit that they've gone backwards with this machine in order to get the price down, and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suspect that they've cut corners in terms of build quality too.

To be fair, there are a lot of people who prefer the Slim.

on top of removing the ability to use a different OS (which was obviously for a reason other than cost, to be fair).

Oh no, just when we were starting to agree! :D

The PS3 Slim arrived in Sept '09, three months before most console gamers had even heard of GeoHot. It had no OtherOS from the get-go. They did cite the removal of OtherOS from the fat models as a security concern, but like any unified driver structure, I reckon they would have merged firmwares at some point. It was going anyway.

I can see why the usb/card readers etc were removed though, it's basically a PS3 that's cheaper to manufacture for them, and I guess there's nothing wrong with that. But like you said, we're getting the inferior product after the more capable one...they kind of messed it up in that respect.

Tried fixing mine again (3rd time), worked for about 1 hour and then it shut itself off and YLOD'd again. Not going to bother with another fix, will probably take their offer of trading it in and getting a slim for 170.

I was gonna try to fix it myself but after reading all the threads it seems it's just a temporary fix plus a new one will have a 2yr warranty. Still think the Fat has a nicer design and better quality feel about it.

Oh no, just when we were starting to agree! :D

The PS3 Slim arrived in Sept '09, three months before most console gamers had even heard of GeoHot. It had no OtherOS from the get-go. They did cite the removal of OtherOS from the fat models as a security concern, but like any unified driver structure, I reckon they would have merged firmwares at some point. It was going anyway.

You are, of course, 100% correct. I'd forgotten that.

rob180 wrote: »
    I was gonna try to fix it myself but after reading all the threads it seems it's just a temporary fix plus a new one will have a 2yr warranty. Still think the Fat has a nicer design and better quality feel about it.

Yeah, was good experience taking it apart though, love taking electronics apart, was very satisfying to see it boot up again, until moments later the problem re-occured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Where can you trade it in when you have voided the warranty?

My own PS3 has also gotten YLOD, I tried to fix myself, and it only lasted around a week. So I'd be interested in trading it in if possible.

Where can you trade it in when you have voided the warranty?

My own PS3 has also gotten YLOD, I tried to fix myself, and it only lasted around a week. So I'd be interested in trading it in if possible.

It's not a trade in, it's what Sony charge for replacing it with a refurb.
    Unlikely that it will be replaced if warranty has been voided, as they may argue that you introduced the fault when you opened it.

As for trading it in, I doubt any shop will take in a YLOD'd PS3.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

But regardless of what the 360 cost (and in my opinion the 360 has a far inferior build quality - although not to the extent that it should cost half the price to build than a PS3 does), the point is that Sony were making massive losses on the PS3 at launch as you recognise. They cut the price of the machine to the point where they made a massive loss on each unit sold. That says straight away that the pricing model was all wrong. They then addressed that issue by removing as much from the system as they could and leaving us with the cheap, tacky horrible piece of kit which is the PS3 Slim. When actually they should be saying that this is a very good piece of kit which is well built, has a huge amount of functionality and is worth €600+.

Of course the fact that we're having this conversation in the YLOD thread suggests that it's not been built overly well, but I think we'd both put that primarily down to the poor decision that Sony made with the solder.

You look at the cost of a decent TV, of a decent PC, a decent laptop... a cutting edge gaming/entertainment system should probably cost more especially if it's going to have the ten year system lifespan that we're told that both the 360 & the PS3 were planned to have.

Sony have had massive losses on PS1,2 & 3 initially until production cost went down due to the numbers being built and sold. Took a long time on the PS1&2, especially with the PS2 laser issues in the beginning. I think if Sony had been hit with a big class action suit in the States, you would have seen a Microsoft style extended warranty, and probably better build quality for the Slim. Probably would have priced the PS3 itself accordingly, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

these guys can fix this problem and give you a 3 year warrenty for €80 euro .

im getting them to do mine which recently died.

I'm pretty sure it's only a three month warranty.

the guy said to me 3 year .

the guy said to me 3 year .

A three year warranty with a YLOD repair? Sorry but either he's spoofing/dodgey or you took him up wrong.

Sony offer a 3 month warranty on their refurbs, and most repair companies seem to offer the same. A three year warranty on a fix which is known to only be a short-term remedy is too good to be true.

well go ring them up then .or when i leave my ps3 with them ill report back
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

well go ring them up then .or when i leave my ps3 with them ill report back
    :rolleyes:

Ring who up? I don't see any details.

Like you don't get a three year warranty with a brand new PS3, so why on earth would an old repaired one get such a long term? There's obviously been a miscommunication somewhere along the line. As above, it's likely three months.

I got my phat fixed by the crowd in Tallaght for €80 and was given a 3 month warranty(didn't last that long, but I got my stuff transfered to my slim). :D
    Like EnterNow said, you don't even get three years for a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Consolepros

Any so called reflow repair backed by a 3 month warranty is not a reflow. A reflow done with on a good work station should give you at least a year.

Must repair shops don't even use flux lol :eek: Its just about the fast buck!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Another casualty here,60Gig Fat first launch died last night,got it as a bonus in Oz when we picked up the Bravia so i will be getting on to them there and will be eager to see what they have to say.
    I would love to have a go at the repair myself but think i will be better off on a return basis if it is not touched.
    It had tons of use in it's years mostly through video usb playing/streaming and it is sorely missed :mad:.
    Got some photos too that i would like to get off the harddrive but that surely can't be done without opening the console?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Gregsor wrote: »
    Another casualty here,60Gig Fat first launch died last night,got it as a bonus in Oz when we picked up the Bravia so i will be getting on to them there and will be eager to see what they have to say.
    I would love to have a go at the repair myself but think i will be better off on a return basis if it is not touched.
    It had tons of use in it's years mostly through video usb playing/streaming and it is sorely missed :mad:.
    Got some photos too that i would like to get off the harddrive but that surely can't be done without opening the console?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p_RO59MsAs just remove it and hook it up to your pc and coppy everything that is on it

• Advertisement
Advertisement