Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 2.50 - and beyond!

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Having dropped out of Manchester due to an illness plagued few weeks - I then thought about Seville in Feb as I love Marathon training in the depts of Winter.

I also considered doing Manchester in April '22 - that would allow me to do a 10 miler in the build up - so thats a possibility.

But I think the plan will be to tackle a sub 2.50 in the Autumn of '22 - which seems like a lifetime away. Racing more in the early part of '22 will be a real pleasure after not having any races in the past 18 or so months. Maybe put a target around Bohermeen HM (March 13th '22).

Autumn Marathon in '22 is a good internal discussion right now in my head :)

(1) Berlin - I have a place confirmed - I can give it a good go and get a decent time.

(2) Dublin - I'll be in a different age category by then (I cant f'ing believe that) - so that could be an option to target a good age category placing.

Note: despite what I typed above, there is the disclaimer - "plans may rise as well as fall"...............

Best of luck to those running in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I'm doing London in a few weeks. Tried the 5/4/3/2/1 session last Friday lunchtime, having seen it in this thread. I was aiming for MP from my last marathon of around 6:22 (marathon was in autumn 2019). Fell apart on the "2" section and skipped the last one, but was reasonably happy as it was on very heavy legs and a bumpy enough route.

Aim is to go out around that pace on the day or a little slower i think, hopefully land sub 2:50. Trying to break 2:45 is a goal but think i'm a bit short at this point

At this stage im more concerned with the logistics of London, between dropping your bag off at the expo and showing negative lateral flow tests, than i am with the actual race....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭healy1835

Well it's finishing with a bit of a bang 🙂 A couple of big sessions in there and a bit of blowout too, but just have to keep things between the lines now. Having pulled the plug on a couple of marathon blocks since Dublin '19, it's nice to be nearing the end game again and worrying about whether you've done enough/too much and all the other variables bouncing around upstairs.

I'd say your PB is in serious danger in Valencia. You've been really consistent the last few months and are nicely primed. Boston is on the bucket list alright, but might have to wait until kids are a bit older as I don't think I'd swing that trip without my other half!

AMK I'd see no reason why you couldn't target a Spring marathon. You were on course for 2:48 ish in Manchester in April 20 if that had of happened. You were also strong as an ox in that block. You've just been a bit unlucky this year I reckon. I think you've wide base of fitness there. Maybe target a Waterford HM or something up until Dec and move into the New Year chomping at the bit for a Spring marathon. We could be marathon training partners again 😁 Not sure what I'm doing in Spring yet to be fair though...have to see how the dust settles on Manchester, but I'd love to do London or Rotterdam.

Yeah London seems stressful enough. Are you going over on your own or do you have someone with you? The bag drop detail seems like a pain in the backside if you're over there solo. You were fairly close on your last Marathon to cracking the 2:45. Do you follow a specific plan or work with a coach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Going solo as it stands - havent actually booked flights yet 😐️ as of now i reckon ill run with debit card & hotel card in my pocket, and wear old jumper/top to the start that i can throw away. Can have a decent change of clothes then in the bag i drop at the expo beforehand

I'm not doing anything too specific - i've been running with the local club over the summer and their sessions tend to be marathon-friendly, for example tonight is 3 x 10 mins. So two of those type sessions per week, long run at the weekend and easy running the rest of the time. I'm averaging around 55m a week at the moment which is lower than id like tbh but life has a pesky habit of preventing more running! I did 2:47 last time out (Oct 2019 in Abingdon) but that was off closer to 70 mile average weeks, dont think i'm going to be quite in the same shape or feeling as confident when im at the start line in a few weeks. I ran disappointing efforts in 2017 and 2018 in London, fading badly both times, so that's also in my head a bit before this one - running slightly slower than maybe im capable of, but at least the last 30 mins of the race won't be as horrible as it has been previously there!

You're putting in great work at the moment, the HM up in Larne was a brilliant run. All the signs are pointing in the right direction for the marathon!

Post edited by ClashCityRocker on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭browne_rob5

@ClashCityRocker If you book flight BA4461 to London City it lands on Saturday at 10.40am and it says on the London City website that is a 15 to 20 minutes walk to the Excel. Will take a bit of hassle on the day if it works out for you. I am going to take the same approach and run with just Debit and Hotel card.

@healy1835 London is going to be on in October in 2022 again. Rotterdam is a great option though. Might run Seville myself but will wait until after London to decide.

• Advertisement
Advertisement