Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Conditions Map

Options
  • 16-12-2010 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi,

I have created a map for the current weather conditions,
    http://goodsquishy.com/weathermap/

I thought it might be handy for people to post snow reports etc...

just right click on the map to add a report.

I only did this this evening so it might have bugs but if ye want to use it I'll fix any
    problems as quick as I can(and there probably will be problems). It has only been tested
    on chrome and not much so its a bit rought and ready.

One change I am working on is to allow you to select how far back to show reports for. Any other opinions welcome.
    at the moment is only shows reports added in the last 6 hours (upto a maximum of 100 reports)

EDIT :
    I should have mentioned, to post a report your going to have to allow it to open a pop up.

Alternatively you can try this version that doesn't open popups
    http://goodsquishy.com/weathermap/index2.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's a little bit open to abuse if you ask me. Someone has posted blizzard for Dublin CC ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Random wrote: »
    It's a little bit open to abuse if you ask me. Someone has posted blizzard for Dublin CC ...

he said rough and ready, clearly he doesn't have a system to go checking what the actual conditions are. People should just grow up and not cause something like this when someone goes to the bother of making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Takca wrote: »
    Hi,

I have created a map for the current weather conditions,
    http://goodsquishy.com/weathermap/

I thought it might be handy for people to post snow reports etc...

just right click on the map to add a report.

I only did this this evening so it might have bugs but if ye want to use it I'll fix any
    problems as quick as I can(and there probably will be problems). It has only been tested
    on chrome and not much so its a bit rought and ready.

at the moment is only shows reports added in the last 6 hours (upto a maximum of 100 reports)

One change I am working on is to allow you to select how far back to show reports for. Any other opinions welcome.

Good one Tacka, fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Random wrote: »

Yup, it is open to abuse, there is no longer a Blizzard in dublin, but I don't intend deleting anymore. If people want to abuse it like that then I'll just take it down again.

It now defaults to the last 2 hours, and the box on the top can be used to change this so you can look at older reports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

wow, thanks Taka, this will be really handy visual for tracking the upcoming events :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Love this idea. Come on snow to Greystones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Great idea - the right click doesn't seem to work on IE8. Works fine on Firefox, tho.

Al.

Alzar wrote: »
    Great idea - the right click doesn't seem to work on IE8. Works fine on Firefox, tho.

Al.

Thanks Alzar, I'll see if I can figure it out but it could take a while because I don't use windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I hope this works out, will be nice if people do not act the maggot on it

• Advertisement

I should have mentioned, to post a report your going to have to allow it to
    open a pop up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Alzar wrote: »

Al.
    Not working for me.
    FF and Mac

Thanks Alzar, I'll see if I can figure it out but it could take a while because I don't use windows

Alzar that should work now, I found a IE8 browser I could use,
    Mothman wrote: »
    Not working for me.
    FF and Mac

Mothman, I am hoping your browser is working with the same fix can you let me know when you have a chance if it is working now or not. (and if you havn't already can you make sure the popup isn't being blocked)

......I'll see if I can figure it out but it could take a while because I don't use windows

**EDIT: Beaten to it**

Looks like you've fixed it? I was getting the "error on page" notification on the bottom left of the IE8 frame. Gone now & asks to allow pop-ups.

Runing IE & Firefox on Win 7 Pro, fwiw.

Al.

Looks like you weren't the only ones not able to use it, a lot more people have started adding things now

Yup - looks good too - fair dues & thanks.

Al.

Mothman, I am hoping your browser is working with the same fix can you let me know when you have a chance if it is working now or not. (and if you havn't already can you make sure the popup isn't being blocked)

Alas no and no sign of pop up being blocked....doesn't necessarily mean it isn't though :) though I'm not usually that bad...

Mothman wrote: »
    Alas no and no sign of pop up being blocked....doesn't necessarily mean it isn't though :) though I'm not usually that bad...

Thanks Mothman, if you are getting any error messages (you might have a little error icon appearing somewhere on the edge of the window), can you post the message for me and I'll
    see if I can figure it out. Also what version of firefox are you using?

I'd like to try and get this fixed if I can so any info you can send would be great, if your not getting any error message don't worry I'll see if I can figure it out some other way.

FF 3.6.13
    No error message. Just nothing happens when I right click.
    The wheel and left click still work when right button is pressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

Not working for me either in Google Chrome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

No go for me either . .
    Ubuntu with chrome.

put me down for 4cm in foxford.. :D

Ok,
    I have tried it on chrome/firefox and ie on 2 versions of windows and chrome and firefox on
    ubuntu linux, and I have it working in all 8 instances.

I'm afraid I don't have access to a MAC so until I manage to get a hold of one to find the
    problem if you really want to add a report you can do so at this URL

http://goodsquishy.com/weathermap/addReport.cgi

by adding your longitude and latitude manually

in the mean time I'll see if I can find the problem but it wont be tonight :-(
    and I'm not sure when it will be that I can get a MAC to test on, I'll keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

Got it working on Chrome, it was a popup blocker issue, no error was reported though, so it wasn't obvious that a popup was being blocked. Thanks for the effort in putting this together, it is a great idea, especially when the snow moves over the rest of the country (nothing here yet and pretty clear skies).

srocliffe wrote: »
    Got it working on Chrome, it was a popup blocker issue, no error was reported though, so it wasn't obvious that a popup was being blocked. Thanks for the effort in putting this together, it is a great idea, especially when the snow moves over the rest of the country (nothing here yet and pretty clear skies).

Thanks for letting me know,

For those of you still having problems, this version
    doesn't use popups, if popups is the problem then this one should work
    http://goodsquishy.com/weathermap/index2.html

then again if popups isn't the problem it still probably wont work

Hi Takca , it was working fine earlier (windown XP explorer 8) I put in one report OK , just added another and now no comments at all?

PS just had a snow shower in Athlone

Hi Takca , it was working fine earlier (windown XP explorer 8) I put in one report OK , just added another and now no comments at all?

yup, looks like it was a problem with fada's, I have removed the fadas for now from the report and am starting on a proper fix

yup, looks like it was a problem with fada's, I have removed the fadas for now from the report and am starting on a proper fix

Oh fada for I have sinned, no more fada I will do with fadaless Irish! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I've added two to the map. Dublin Airport & Belfast Airport (Aldergrove)

Oh fada for I have sinned, no more fada I will do with fadaless Irish! ;)

You can try it now I think I have it sorted, this is the kind of thing that happens when you
    release something to people after 10 minutes testing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

working fine on this pc firefox on xp. :)

Advertisement