Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

vrt ncts ?

• 16-12-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

brought the van down to to nct today to sort the vrt,filled all their forms and had all my bits in order,but they went on to tell that they have to check with the revenue as my type of van was not on their list.i pointed out that the van filled all the criteria re over 3.2kg all the windows sinks etc all i got was a blank look and told me they would ring me when they get word back ?

I'm i bit worried this is going to drag into the new year,any on ideas on who i can contact to move this along

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HBAMS

killalanerr

We brought a Hymer from Germany last month. We went to the VRT office here in Galway. We had all documents in german and they wanted them in English. So we had to get them translated.
    I ask the girl how long I had to get them and she said that as long as you have been to the VRT office it was on there records and that the date they will work from.
    If you have your document correct Im sure you will be ok. We paid €50 to register.
    In fact she hardly looked at the MH.
    If you need anymore info contact me.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

brought the van down to to nct today to sort the vrt,filled all their forms and had all my bits in order,but they went on to tell that they have to check with the revenue as my type of van was not on their list.i pointed out that the van filled all the criteria re over 3.2kg all the windows sinks etc all i got was a blank look and told me they would ring me when they get word back ?

I'm i bit worried this is going to drag into the new year,any on ideas on who i can contact to move this along

Hmmmm, looks like a ANOTHER plan gone off half cocked :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Hmmmm, looks like a ANOTHER plan gone off half cocked :confused::confused:

not sure what you mean by half cocked
    we have done this before with no problems,the problem is with ncts the old system worked perfectly well,but now we have another layer to get through and im sure ncts are getting well payed for the service,but thats the irish way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

It shouldn't take too long. The same happened with me when I was clearing a transit. They rang me the same day, so you should hear early next week.

not sure what you mean by half cocked
    we have done this before with no problems,the problem is with ncts the old system worked perfectly well,but now we have another layer to get through and im sure ncts are getting well payed for the service,but thats the irish way

Absolutely no reference to your efforts intended :o
    I was referring to the change in procedure to involve the NCT concession holders, who from what you reported have been rolled into the VRT process without adequate training or procedures to provide an competent and efficient service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Absolutely no reference to your efforts intended :o
    I was referring to the change in procedure to involve the NCT concession holders, who from what you reported have been rolled into the VRT process without adequate training or procedures to provide an competent and efficient service.

I've just spoken to a friend who is a tester at the local VTN/DOE garage, he tested and passed my, 'van, and he told me that they have not received new instructions on testing Campervans/Motorhomes and won't get any until the Minister signs them into law. He assured me that the testing they do on 'vans is in no way rough. Yes they are tested the same as commercial vehicles, according to the weight, but only as far as the efficiency of the brakes and steering is concerned and that the various markings are there. He said that no-one should worry that their vehicle is going to be treated roughly. :)

I've just spoken to a friend who is a tester at the local VTN/DOE garage, he tested and passed my, 'van, and he told me that they have not received new instructions on testing Campervans/Motorhomes and won't get any until the Minister signs them into law. He assured me that the testing they do on 'vans is in no way rough. Yes they are tested the same as commercial vehicles, according to the weight, but only as far as the efficiency of the brakes and steering is concerned and that the various markings are there. He said that no-one should worry that their vehicle is going to be treated roughly. :)

What's the connection to my recent reply, which you quoted. I thought we were writing about the VRT being handled (inefficiently) by the NCT.

BTW, if as your local VTN garages says the Minister hasn't signed the 'new instructions' into law yet, and the 'old instructions' have no basis in law, why have you had your MH tested.

What's the connection to my recent reply, which you quoted. I thought we were writing about the VRT being handled (inefficiently) by the NCT.

BTW, if as your local VTN garages says the Minister hasn't signed the 'new instructions' into law yet, and the 'old instructions' have no basis in law, why have you had your MH tested.

You mentioned changes in procedure to NCT concession holders ?, I thought this was also referring to testing.

Sorry but according to the RSA, ALL vehicles must have a test of one sort or another. I had mine tested for my own peace of mind insofar as I know that at least my 'van is safe to be on the roed. :)

I was referring to the NCT being assigned the responsibility for administering VRT assessment.

IMHO, the RSA are right in that all vehicles 'should' be roadworthiness tested, as is required by EU regulations, but at the present there is no 'must' for motor caravans here in the RoI as the requirement has not yet been enshrined in Irish law.
    Ministers signature required and all that.

BTW for anyone using an 'unroadworthy' vehicle there is plenty of law currently in existence for Gardaí to take effective action against user of such a vehicle.

Sorry niloc51, due to my misunderstanding of your earlier reference to the NCT we seem to have gone off track from the original posting. We will have to agree to disagree over the legal issue. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

It shouldn't take too long. The same happened with me when I was clearing a transit. They rang me the same day, so you should hear early next week.

got it sorted today €50 was a bit close for comfort as they are closing today and will not be reopening till the 4th of jan
    while a was talking to the guy in nct head office he said he had not been told of any changes regarding vrt on motorhomes,guess we will just have to wait and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭oceanman

BTW for anyone using an 'unroadworthy' vehicle there is plenty of law currently in existence for Gardaí to take effective action against user of such a vehicle.
    how would they know if the vehicle was really 'unroadworthy'?
    they can only check tyres and lights ect!

oceanman wrote: »
    how would they know if the vehicle was really 'unroadworthy'?
    they can only check tyres and lights ect!

Believe me, they can check thoroughly, and now have the resources to do so, any vehicle being operated on the public highway which they have reason to suspect may be in an unroadworthy condition and a danger to other road-users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭oceanman

yes but to check it thoroughly they would have to empound it! some might, but most cops just could'nt be bothered with the hassel and time it takes, thats why they like writeing out tickets, its quick and easy.

Advertisement