Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ardscoil Rís

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

RonMexico wrote: »
    Anyone remember Butterfield and McMahon (Siobhain?). About the only two decent teachers I had there.

Then there was Elaine Kelly. Didn't have her as a teacher in Ard Scoil but I had her for two years in another place for Geography. Sound and a little ride too:D

Remember all the lads dropping their pens on the floor whenever she arrived in wearing a mini:D
    Ran into McMahon in Teds a year after I left the school, God she'd have got it:D, didn't Butterfield marry Larkin (I actually think well of Derek, I found him to be a good teacher, and he had no tolerance for the lazy feckers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I think so yeah! Ted's eh? Must drop by soon hehehe (its closed though isn't it?) Ah well. :D

I think so yeah! Ted's eh? Must drop by soon hehehe (its closed though isn't it?) Ah well. :D
    This is well over 10 years ago dude:o, coincidentally I stumbled into Dympna Tobin's retirement party recently

Did you try it on with her too :D

Did you try it on with her too :D
    I'm not Shane Costelloe :p, There was a bit of talent at it, didn't recognise Elaine Kelly 'til she was pointed out to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Anyone remember Butterfield and McMahon (Siobhain?).

Remember Sheena (?), always had a soft spot for her. Hadn't the same fascination with McMahon though.

Saw Dessie there a couple of weeks back, remember getting him started talking about rugby and he'd keep it up for the full class. Had no attention span that man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Ard scoil...pah - Clements FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seatrump

OK someone pm me the teacher with the rape thing. I must have known him. Was there from 84-89. Left Ireland in 95.

Timmy - ha ha.... Even at 13 I wondered how the hell he got a job. He was funny for T.D. but we had him for civics as well. We used to try to get him to lose his temper and hit people with T-Squares....

What was the math's teacher who thought honors maths? Was it Doney something? Got thrown out of his class for not knowing what Pi was..... Demoted to Clifford's....

Br Benny for Pass Irish. Had a love hate with Bobby Byrne. Got hammered by him one time but the guy loved his English literature. Could never hear a word he said except when he was shouting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Mc Love wrote: »
    Ard scoil...pah - Clements FTW

Get your own thread. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Best school in Ireland !

• Advertisement

seatrump wrote: »

What was the math's teacher who thought honors maths? Was it Doney something? Got thrown out of his class for not knowing what Pi was..... Demoted to Clifford's....
    Houlihan.

Dessie's favourite word; Quagmire:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

"You see that there? He's drinking whiskey through a straw. Great way to get drunk fast, that."
    He never had much tolerance of me, seemed to stem from the fact he didn't have a tolerance for my dad when he went there, but a great teacher all the same.

Dicey's LC English double class after lunch on a Friday. It consisted of reading and dissecting Kevin Myers Irishmans Diary from the Times and an early finish to make sure he didn't get stuck in the Friday afternoon traffic.

Donie Houlihan. Excellent mathematician, crap at teaching maths. There was a guy in our class who always got the blame for making any sort of noise because Donie thought he knew his name. Got it wrong every time.

Dessie Harty thinking he could speak French because he had a vague idea of what "faux pas" means.

The stories could go on and on.

Myself and the other Ardscoil lads never met anyone in college who enjoyed their school experience as much as we did.

And the pedant in me is coming out...can someone change the thread title to Ardscoil Rís.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

ninty9er wrote: »
    And the pedant in me is coming out...can someone change the thread title to Ardscoil Rís.

Done.

ninty9er wrote: »

You can thank three years of Seamo teaching us about drugs instead of Irish for that mistake. :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Met Paul Caff a few years ago in Galway sound bloke bought myself and the lad with me a pint.

I remember his brother telling me that I would never ever be able to do higher level Irish for the Junior Cert. I insisted on doing it to spite him and got a C. Then I took it for the Leaving Cert and also got a C.

To be honest though I hadn't a word of Irish - I just learnt it all off by heart to annoy Caff and prove him wrong.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

Had Seamus Caf in first year Irish.Used to just come in and say he was too knackered from doing his play(the players or something)Claimed we would only speak Irish in the class (it's fair to say we did more english than Irish!!) or he'd say what he had in ruby tuesdays chipper (used to be up there in Caherdavin).God he was useless- I pity anyone who had him for Junior or Leaving Cert.

Catherine Casey and the number of days she'd miss(particularly after Clare's All Ireland wins in '95 & '97)-good teacher though.
    People asking John Loobey where Jabudi was in business studies.

My Mum going into the parent teacher meetings asking where Mr Bogman was (I never called him by his real name when I was talking about him-Mum just assumed that was his name!!).I think it ws Rita Hayes who told her that was just a nickname for him!!

Bobby waxing lyrical about his hate of first years.He almost took a sadistic pleasure in it.Great teacher but a lad in my class (it was 2nd year 1994-95) was thrown out of the class because Bobby thought he was laughing at him or something.Had to bring in flowers and a card and everything.I think Ducks got involved aswell.All a bit strange really.

another classic bogman line was "bring in your father and i will make your mother a widow"

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Get your bags and your baggage and get out :D

Debit the receiver and credit the giver :D

Theres a right way, a wrong way, and my way :D

Complements of Joe "Punky" Madden..

Don't forget about his "Official carrier bagger" :)

L.T.P. wrote: »

Shniggering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Saw Dessie there a couple of weeks back, remember getting him started talking about rugby and he'd keep it up for the full class. Had no attention span that man.

Good old Dessie many is the time i thought he was giving out to the guy two desks back and a row over and i continued only for him to drag me out of my desk shouting i'm talking to you.

Anyone remember Dollard? she was only there for one year, 92-93 i think, thought accounting and economics. Quite possibly the best set of legs and ass i've laid my ones on. I still can't stand for a few mins after thinking of her doing stretches against the teachers desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

i didnt go to asr but a bunch of mates did and they used to tell stories bout one of the german teachers "Bogman"

stories along the lines of how he would threaten to put lads on a life support machine or "fire his torpedoes" etc

anyone got any good stories?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

The_Dave wrote: »
    Shniggering

Sniggering shtand up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Anyone remember Dollard? she was only there for one year, 92-93 i think, thought accounting and economics. Quite possibly the best set of legs and ass i've laid my ones on.

Scared off by the sheer handsomeness of us all no doubt. Yes she had it.

Half the staff there had serious personality issues. I took it as normal, not knowing any different as a teenager. I got into the teaching game myself then afterwards - and no staffroom (I mean NO staffroom) was as mental as Ardscoil Rís! You have some quirky ones yes in each - but never half.

I'm not saying it was Letterfrack, but I consider it an achievement to have survived all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I don't give lines, i give tigers.

Or the every goal is a great goal speech.

There was something seriously wrong with that dude, no wonder himself and bogs were buds.

Few more Punky classics:

Step out into my office which depending on his mood was either the corridor or the toilets!
    Your making facial gesticulations stand out !

AS for Dessie, we had a half chinese guy in our class who had a perfectly normal first and surname, but yet Deeie insisted on calling him Mr. Chung for 5 years.

Spike roaring at me because I said thuismiwhore instead of thuismitheori, wanted to know why i was calling his dead mother a whore, funny never forgot how to pronounce it again after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭banie01

kilburn wrote: »
    Few more Punky classics:

Step out into my office which depending on his mood was either the corridor or the toilets!
    Your making facial gesticulations stand out !

AS for Dessie, we had a half chinese guy in our class who had a perfectly normal first and surname, but yet Deeie insisted on calling him Mr. Chung for 5 years.

Spike roaring at me because I said thuismiwhore instead of thuismitheori, wanted to know why i was calling his dead mother a whore, funny never forgot how to pronounce it again after that

Was that half chinese bloke over 6 foot tall and used to play in goals for moyross f.c????
    I think we may have been in the same class!!!
    Who were your yearheads?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

banie01 wrote: »
    Was that half chinese bloke over 6 foot tall and used to play in goals for moyross f.c????
    I think we may have been in the same class!!!
    Who were your yearheads?

And his initials RC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭banie01

And his initials RC!

See you know the Dude I mean ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Ducks dragging everyone into assembly on the first day of term and giving the same speech every year about Johhny Wilkinson and how he practised his goal kicking.

Maaaaaaaarie Hogan calling everyone scum and locking a class into the physics lab during a fire. Billy Burke telling you to get the new French book for Christmas off santy and that the leaving cert was only x weeks away.

Going absolutely mental on an expedition to the RDS for the higher options exhibition and wrecking the bus in the process.

Spitballs were always a favourite and one of the lads putting a page 3 picture on the whiteboard and Shaloo asks "Gentlemen who is responsible for this filth?" before stuffing it into his suitcase! Great times

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement