Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zakopane and Poland.

• 16-12-2010 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hey all, this summer a group of friends and I are off to Poland for 2 weeks after the leaving cert. We're starting by flying to Krakow then getting the bus or train to Zakopane. Staying there for about 10 days, just wondering if anyone knows much about it or has been there? I know there is some things like mountain trails, lakes, biking etc is there any other things we should do/see while in the area that you would recommend or know?
    After that we're heading to my friends home town of Przemysl for about 2-3 days before heading back to Krakow for our flight back to Dublin. Any info on either of these 2 cities or just any general info on Poland would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Przemysl is very hilly, so make sure you have a decent pair of boots/shoes because there will be a fair bit of walking involved. It will also be very hot, but might be wet too, so bring light clothing, and a brolly or a rain coat.

My gf would kill me for saying this but unless history and heritage really turn you on, there is not a whole lot to do in Przemysl. That said, the food and beer is terrific.

There is an art gallery nearby which is worth a visit. I cant remember the name of it though, Ill try to find it.

Krakow is a nice city and there should be great night life when you are there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

i was in zakopane 10 years ago during the summer. it seemed to me that it was more geared towards winter pursuits, mostly hikers were there during the summer. Nice town, not too big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Beautiful beautiful place, but it's a nature reserve/ski resort, so unless you're into those things, you should avoid. The national park for hiking in is absolutely drop dead gorgeous, Morskie Oko at the top is just postcard stuff, and near the railway to the top of the ski resort, there's an outdoor activity centre.

Plenty of restaurants, some nice local shops, and the market at the base of the mountain sells some incredible gifts, and the most delicious cheese you will ever eat. Find the guys grilling the Ostiepec (Spelling) cheese for 1 zloty, it's heaven. Local music is played at night time by Goral musicians, and there is a nightclub or two there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

Forgive me for bumping, but exact same holiday with the same group and me and my girlfriend are somewhat - organizing it.

Shes from Przemysl and I've visited it numerous times so things to do there won't be at all an issue.

But as regards to Zakopane, I've some idea's of what we can do. But have some questions yet.
    • Are there lakes that we can swim in, in the area? I understand that Morskie Oko forbids swimming.
    • Recommend any pubs in the area or any interesting night life?
    • Any moderate / easy hikes we could go on?
    • Day trips (excl. white water rafting/Auschwitz/Krakow Salt mine)

Or anything else you would perceive as fun and a definite to do while spending time in the Zakopane.

Edit so far my list consists of,

Zakopane,

*Morskie Oko
    *Mountain biking
    *Quading
    *Mountain climbing (slightly on the expensive side)
    *Rafting

Advertisement