Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will i get visa with conviction

Options
  • 16-12-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi lads
    Just applied for my WHV and paid the fees answered all the questions etc,now one part needs finishing iv a previous conviction which i received a suspended sentence for breach of peace which happened nearly 5 years ago and i havnt been in a spot of trouble since,im been straight out and honest in all my answers.
    Has anyone with a conviction on here gotten a visa or what do ye think could happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I know a few people over here and some of them defo have convictions, I don't know what they put down but you'll be fine eitherway imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

tell the truth, if you lie and they find out then you will never get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Should be fine, FFS there was a yank on Border Security who had a manslaughter conviction let in.
    Somewhat bizarrely it isnt impossible to get permanent residency if you have served a jail sentence of less than a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Yeah, Tell the truth, but its not a bas Idea to liase with someone in the Immigration Department via Email, take your time laying out all the details and getting them to clarify the situation, then if you do get questions at the Airport you can whip out the email printouts and say, look I've discussed it with XYZ in that Dept, heres the correspondence, they Said I'd be fine(obviously if they said no then this tack wouldnt work;)) generally if the customs agent sees corespondence then they will look favourably upon you, if you rock up arms swingin they may consider you a bit of a Cheeky chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭yogimotorsport

Thanks lads just a bit nervous over it cos i genuinley have stayed away from any trouble
    Iv been honest so heres hoping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

tba wrote: »
    tell the truth, if you lie and they find out then you will never get in.

Thats hilarious, when you read your sig....!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

they passed my visa and i had a few driving convictions, the more serious ones. but it was 9 years ago.
    my visa took 3 weeks and i had to answer a sheet of 7 questions that included giving you account of what happened and all the details of what happened, date, fines, conviction details, time served
    i was talking to someone who got in with a GBH so i think its relly drug charges and the more serious crimes

they passed my visa and i had a few driving convictions, the more serious ones. but it was 9 years ago.
    my visa took 3 weeks and i had to answer a sheet of 7 questions that included giving you account of what happened and all the details of what happened, date, fines, conviction details, time served
    i was talking to someone who got in with a GBH so i think its relly drug charges and the more serious crimes
    Thanks Karl,has made me feel at ease:)

no hassle man after 2 weeks i thought mine was never goina come through because the usually only take 3 days!

The visa crowd now want a Police certificate,does anyone know what this is do or i just go to garda station and ask for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The visa crowd now want a Police certificate,does anyone know what this is do or i just go to garda station and ask for it

It makes sense to get a police certificate from the police.

It is probably a cert to out exactly what convictions you have
    i.e. what you claim matches with what the police say.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's just a certified copy of your convictions, in case you left any out, or described them as less severe than they actually are

Garda station should do it quick enough

you have to apply for it in the station cost bout 30-40 quid and takes about a month
    thats what i was told but i didnt have to get it
    i heard some people have to get a letter either just saying your a nice guy and all that

Got the garda clearance they basically put my conviction on official papers,said they wont give a letter stating how well behaved and model citizen etc iv been unless my visa application has been denied,sent the clearance cert away tendays ago and still havnt heard anything back,should i be worried?
    Sorry if im like a long playing record

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

you have to apply for it in the station cost bout 30-40 quid and takes about a month

In Ireland? It's free.

I was talking to my Visa case worker this morning looking for a update on my visa,my application has been passed on to a higher authority on the Visa decisive board or something,she said she was very surprised as she didnt believe my conviction warranted this,Could this be just a random check on visa applications or should i be worried

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

In Ireland? It's free.

Yeah its free.

I had to get an Irish one and an Australian one for residency in NZ.
    The Irish one was free but the oz police want a bankdraft for AU$43 which cost me NZ$80 in total. :eek::eek::eek: I should be entitled to a free crime next time im in oz tbh.
    1 Ireland - Australia 0

Maybe it is free but when i rang the cop shop in Dublin Sept 2010 i was told it was 30 odd quid by one of the guards :confused:

Maybe he was a new recruit lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Maybe it is free but when i rang the cop shop in Dublin Sept 2010 i was told it was 30 odd quid by one of the guards :confused:

Maybe he was a new recruit lol

Maybe he was an old one and just pocketed the cash.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Maybe he was an old one and just pocketed the cash.

Ah that makes more sense....

Drop the form into the cop shop hand him 30 quid and we'l get back to you lol

• Advertisement

I was talking to my Visa case worker this morning looking for a update on my visa,my application has been passed on to a higher authority on the Visa decisive board or something,she said she was very surprised as she didnt believe my conviction warranted this,Could this be just a random check on visa applications or should i be worried
    I got the Gadra Cert for free anyhow ,its the above im worried about^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bugz24

just went to get paperwork stamped and certified for Police Certificate and when he checked something that happened 10 years ago when I was a stupid teenager came up.

I stole something and got a warning from a JLO. I am going to teach over there which means I need Police Certificate for the State I wish to teach in showing 'convictions'.

I don't have a conviction just a warning and the Garda said this will appear on cert???? What way will something I did stupidly as a 14 year old affect me.

ANYONE???? :eek::mad:

Bugz24 wrote: »
    just went to get paperwork stamped and certified for Police Certificate and when he checked something that happened 10 years ago when I was a stupid teenager came up.

I stole something and got a warning from a JLO. I am going to teach over there which means I need Police Certificate for the State I wish to teach in showing 'convictions'.

I don't have a conviction just a warning and the Garda said this will appear on cert???? What way will something I did stupidly as a 14 year old affect me.

ANYONE???? :eek::mad:

Hey,

I got my garda cert yesterday and all it says is Brendan Smith, DOB, of Bitchville USA has recieved no convictions whilst living in Ireland.

I think youll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I can not see a childhood waning coming up on any certificate. Try asking on legal but I would be very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I was reading over the application form for a NZ working/holiday visa and I'm not sure where I stand on question 25 where it says: 'Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offence in any country including any conviction which is now removed from official records?'

Basically, in 2005, I was arrested for drunk and disorderly and I had to go to district court to pay a fine. I was told in district court that I would not be getting a record as I was in the wrong place at the wrong time trying to help out a situation that had nothing to do with me. The Gardai even said that the night I was arrested but they said that because I had been arrested, it was just a formality now and I had to go to district court to pay the fine.

As I was told I wouldn't be given a record, should I tick yes or no for question 25? By going to district court to pay the fine was I convicted of the offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I was reading over the application form for a NZ working/holiday visa and I'm not sure where I stand on question 25 where it says: 'Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offence in any country including any conviction which is now removed from official records?'

Basically, in 2005, I was arrested for drunk and disorderly and I had to go to district court to pay a fine. I was told in district court that I would not be getting a record as I was in the wrong place at the wrong time trying to help out a situation that had nothing to do with me. The Gardai even said that the night I was arrested but they said that because I had been arrested, it was just a formality now and I had to go to district court to pay the fine.

As I was told I wouldn't be given a record, should I tick yes or no for question 25? By going to district court to pay the fine was I convicted of the offence?

That sounds like a legal question - best ask the Gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bugz24

Hey guys, mine arrived in the post today. On the ball up my way they were .. safe to say panic over...

Got my visa,absolutley delighted
    Thanks to everyone who answered my questions!!!!!!!!!!!

Im still waiting on my AFP check cert.

They say that it takes aprox 15 working days and we are on day 17 now.

I rang them and they said that my name is common so although I may not have committed a crime another Brendan Smith could have hence the delay.

Worst. Excuse. Ever.

Im worried that im going to have to launch my own royal commission into this matter unless those fukkers hurry the fukk up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

what type of visa did you apply for.good to hear you got it
    Got my visa,absolutley delighted
    Thanks to everyone who answered my questions!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement