Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB 3.0 vs eSATA\USB 2.0

• 16-12-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

I have a 2.5" 500GB 7200rpm SATA HDD that came from an old laptop. I've been looking to turn it into a portable HDD.. Do You think i would be better getting an enclosure with an eSATA connection or USB 3.0 both will be USB 2.0 compatible so i wouldn't have to worry about any old computers i'd be using it with.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

2.0 enclosures are cheapest and its an incredibly common interface. your HDD wont benefit from a 3.0 interface, and eSATA is not as common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Overheal wrote: »
    2.0 enclosures are cheapest and its an incredibly common interface. your HDD wont benefit from a 3.0 interface, and eSATA is not as common.

would the transfer speed not be higher from USB 3.0 or eSATA. and both enclosures are ~€20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

USB 3.0 is backwards compatible so you don't have to worry about using it with older computers.

You will definitely see improvements in sustained transfer speeds compared to USB 2.0, even with a laptop drive in it. Assuming of course the enclosure is half-decent and your PC/laptop has a USB 3.0 port. Same goes for eSATA.

USB 3.0 hasnt really gone mainstream though, and it might not. Enclosures with USB 2.0/eSATA combo are fairly cheap and common.

USB 3.0 is backwards compatible so you don't have to worry about using it with older computers.

You will definitely see improvements in sustained transfer speeds compared to USB 2.0, even with a laptop drive in it. Assuming of course the enclosure is half-decent and your PC/laptop has a USB 3.0 port. Same goes for eSATA.

USB 3.0 hasnt really gone mainstream though, and it might not. Enclosures with USB 2.0/eSATA combo are fairly cheap and common.

well my laptop has boh usb 3.0 and eSATA that's why i'm asking.. the enclosures i'm looking at are roughly the same price though one has 3.0 and the other is 2.0/eSATA so like i dunno which one to choose..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Are the laptop and enclosure ports eSATAp? Or is a power adapter required also? In which case USB 3 would likely be more portable.

I'd go for USB myself, as it's easier to move between machines. The performance bottleneck will be your old hard disk.

Only reason I can think of to choose eSata is if you want to easily install and boot a second version of windows from this disk, which is awkward to do from a USB connected disk.

• Advertisement

ressem wrote: »
    Are the laptop and enclosure ports eSATAp? Or is a power adapter required also? In which case USB 3 would likely be more portable.

I'd go for USB myself, as it's easier to move between machines. The performance bottleneck will be your old hard disk.

Only reason I can think of to choose eSata is if you want to easily install and boot a second version of windows from this disk, which is awkward to do from a USB connected disk.

ya it's eSATA/USB 2.0 powershare in the one port so that's eSATAp so really i think i'll just go to the shop and buy which ever one is in stock i'm think USB 3.0 will be more common in the future but i never thought of having a portable OS might come in handy but thanks for all the opinions i'm still undecided

Advertisement