Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU Cancelled

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Memnoch wrote: »
    I dunno, maybe I'll write that epic sci-fi pilot I've had in my head for ages but at this stage, I'm wondering if I'm better off turning it into a novel.

haha, it's not just me then. :) I've been making notes for years with regard to a novel but will probably never get around to it. I keep having to stop when I'm reading a sci-fi book to jot down ideas it gives me in case I forget them the next day.
    ixoy wrote: »
    Novels for me, nowadays, are generally the best way to get epic sci-fi.

I couldn't agree more.

I spent about 5 years building up my existing sci-fi library by gathering every Nebula, Hugo & Locus award winner ever and it's been such a pleasure going through them and finding the real gems. There's just nothing else like it in terms of sci-fi satisfaction. There is an almost infinite ammount of fantastic sci-fi out there (novels I'm talking) if only the studios looked there for inspiration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Theres so much sci fi and fantasy to choose from. I didsome spring cleaner (new years cleaning) did up the bookshelf though, and as far as sci fi goes there only seems to be 2 real loves (3 if you count WH40k) The Halo bookseries, and Dune. The latter I cannot recommend enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Well Mallozzi is doing his usual of saying a lot without actually saying anything but one thing worth noting is that he did say that "right now, things are looking positive."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Well Mallozzi is doing his usual of saying a lot without actually saying anything but one thing worth noting is that he did say that "right now, things are looking positive."

Ah everything is always positive...

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

having read the guys blog the other day, I am skeptical.
    hope someone else takes over though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

hopefully they'll make a film or 2 if it does get cancelled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    hopefully they'll make a film or 2 if it does get cancelled

It is cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Even Kotaku (a game site) is reporting on the optimism of Wright and Mallozzi. It'll be interesting to see what their plan is.... another channel maybe?
    After the announcement that Syfy was not interested in 3rd season of Stargate Universe, internet rumors have been popping up all over claiming that SGU is far from dead (mostly fostered by the show creators themselves). Can SGU live again?

In the end of Decemeber show co-producer and co-writer, Brad Wright, told Show Patrol that "We haven't given up on finishing the story we started," and that, "It's heartening to see so many people upset about Syfy's cancellation of the show, but it's important to remember that their license fee represented only a portion of our total budget."

Last week director SGU producer and director, Joseph Mallozzi, seemed to back up Wright's earlier statements. From the entry in his recent blog, one could assume that Wright is still fighting the good fight trying to get SGU back on air:
    I was in the office yesterday to watch the Day 1 Mix of The Hunt. Great stuff! Anyway, while there, I talked to Brad. Needless to say, he's been working hard to ensure we all get the opportunity to work with Mark in 2011. Nothing definite as of yet to report but a minor hurdle was cleared. Quite a few hurdles still lie ahead and there's always the chance it might all be for naught – but right now, things are looking positive.

We spent a couple of hours in the late afternoon discussing the potential game plan if all goes well – and, if all DOES go well, I can assure you that it'll be very, VERY exciting for all.
    What is the "minor hurdle" ? It's anything from getting some additional funding to keep VFX creator (the exceptionally gifted) Mark Savela on for a longer period of time to work on the final episodes, or it could be as big as finding a new channel that wants to pick up where SGU left off. Only time will tell, but know this, these guys are dedicated to this series. They've been behind it for years and years. While we're not sure about the end outcome, we're 100% sure that this crew is putting in the hours to keep SGU alive. It should be interesting to see what happens. We're not ready to lose the Stargate franchise forever, so we're rooting for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

Mr E wrote: »
    Even Kotaku (a game site) is reporting on the optimism of Wright and Mallozzi. It'll be interesting to see what their plan is.... another channel maybe?
    came here to post this, rays of hope pushing through clouds of despair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭liamtech

Hiya Folks.

Iv been sick for three weeks with a bad dose, and as a result im housebound - To stop me going mad, i started watching my Favourite SG1 episodes, followed by SGA and shortly there after SGU season .

SG1, even years later and despite the fact ive seen every episode probably dozens of times, is still totally brilliant! Love it!

SGA, although very similar to SG1 was also highly entertaining! The last season less so i have to say but even still, a great show-

SGU.............

I lambasted it in a previous post as have many people. I must point out that despite what i am about to state i bought SGU Season one DVDS.

WHY? One answer folks - Its the only stargate we had left... It saddens me that Stargate is no more.... but friends, despite your hopes and dreams... and in all likely hood - Stargate is no more. PERIOD

Ive been waiting for years for the next SG1, and long awaited SGA Movies.. They never came - quite frankly if after all that waiting they decided to dump these projects in favor of more SGU, i would be highly insulted - and they would be flogging a dead horse.

As a previous poster (i believe his name is john) showed in a link to several reviews, the conduct and attitude of the SGU producers is an absolute disgrace - you cant blame people and fans for not watching it - as a Stargate Fan i found it difficult to watch/tolerate - i cant see how a casual viewer would even watch a full episode, let alone a full season - To accuse us of bringing down a show on purpose, as revenge for Atlantis being canceled is insane - If it was any good, SGU would have brought in more viewers.. it didn't, they canceled it.

It wasn't a great show folks - terribly slow, very boring at times, no really interesting plots at all...

I truly hope and pray im wrong about the franchise being dead - truly.

But i am not sorry to see the back of SGU - i will watch the remaining episodes for completeness. Heck being a Sci Fi Nut il probably buy the DVDs for completeness, because despite my loathing for Stargate universe , its still stargate...

But in my opinion it was without doubt the worst of the franchise, the weakest plot line of any of the series (even the ORI in SG1. At the time i kinda missed the gould and the replicaters being the bad guys. but when i look at season 9 of SG1 and compare it to season 1 of universe.... well what can i say)

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement

Well thats it then. Don't know what we were all doing on here talking about it when we've just been schooled on how schit it was. I'll sleep better tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

GSPfan wrote: »
    Well thats it then. Don't know what we were all doing on here talking about it when we've just been schooled on how schit it was. I'll sleep better tonight.

He's entitled to say it's sh*te....his opinion is shared by many, even hardcore SG fans :rolleyes:

And I'm entitled to be sarcastic. We all seem to be learning today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

From Digital Spy

'SGU' execs 'working on series revival'

Stargate Universe producer Joseph Mallozzi has confirmed that the show could still return to television.

Last month, Syfy decided not to renew the show for a third season, citing a fall in ratings.

However, Mallozzi wrote on his blog that recent discussions with co-producer Brad Wright had been "positive".

"[There is] nothing definite as of yet to report, but a minor hurdle was cleared," he claimed. "Quite a few hurdles still lie ahead and there's always the chance it might all be for naught, but right now, things are looking positive."

He added that storylines for a potential third run are already being discussed.

"We spent a couple of hours in the late afternoon discussing the... game plan if it all goes well, and... I can assure you that it'll be very, very exciting for all."

The remaining ten episodes of Stargate Universe produced prior to the cancellation will air on Syfy in the spring.

Mallozzi previously announced that "all possible avenues" were being investigated with regards to a possible revival.

Linky

Seems to be the same story over and over just re-arranged to look different. I have come to terms with the cancellation better knowing that they are fighting to save it. Hope it works but if not, then so be it.

Still hate the way The Sarah Connor Chronicles got canned. They seemed to move on almost instantly. Sets were tore down asap after that cancellation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

Wow, shows how well I kept up to date on tv matters over Christmas. Only found out now that SGU was cancelled. :(

Sarn wrote: »
    Wow, shows how well I kept up to date on tv matters over Christmas. Only found out now that SGU was cancelled. :(

The Cancellation support group is here for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

GSPfan wrote: »
    The Cancellation support group is here for you.

Thank you. On the plus side this thread has thrown up some shows that I might try out (and then see get cancelled). I echo the sentiments of people regarding Fringe. Best show out there at the moment, hopefully it can dodge the chopping block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Seriously - a world where V is not chopped and SGU is dumped makes no sense. But i guess thats the world we live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 NotBothered

Does anyone know if SGU is coming back, was feckin bullin when i found out it was canceled!! and it stops on such a good episode, just not fair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Does anyone know if SGU is coming back, was feckin bullin when i found out it was canceled!! and it stops on such a good episode, just not fair
    It will be finishing the current, 2nd season, just not coming back for a third season as things stand. Although, given the ridiculous length of the mid season breaks, it would probably be more accurate to say they are coming back for their 4th short season and won't be renewed for a 5th!

Conor108 wrote: »

Mallozi needs to move on and develop something new, it's not coming back lad :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mallozi needs to move on and develop something new, it's not coming back lad :rolleyes:

Still trolling? Nothing wrong with hope, continually antagonising the hopefull is just pointless for you, do you not think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

You're right, richard...you've opened my eyes. i've given into your words and forgetting all about stargate, moving onto something new. you just put up too good an argument

/sarcasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Sarn wrote: »

Well you were quicker on the uptake than me! just found out today.
    Balls :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

whiteman19 wrote: »
    You're right, richard...you've opened my eyes. i've given into your words and forgetting all about stargate, moving onto something new. you just put up too good an argument

/sarcasm

I hear Pretty Little Liars is good :)

Wow!...someone just compared SGU to Jersey shore: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/01/21/thursday-cable-ratings-jersey-shore-keeps-rising-royal-pains-fairly-legal-premieres-real-housewives-finale-more/79679

"Jersey Shore and Stargate Universe are the same in terms of quality, if you know what I mean."

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Wow!...someone just compared SGU to Jersey shore: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/01/21/thursday-cable-ratings-jersey-shore-keeps-rising-royal-pains-fairly-legal-premieres-real-housewives-finale-more/79679

"Jersey Shore and Stargate Universe are the same in terms of quality, if you know what I mean."

:D
    holy sh1t ive never even seen an ep of jersey shores, and even i know thats a massive insult,

were now nearly in februrary so id say SGU is done, theyd wanna be starting production on season 3 about now in order to have it ready for sep-oct,

shame:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

don ramo wrote: »
    holy sh1t ive never even seen an ep of jersey shores, and even i know thats a massive insult,

were now nearly in februrary so id say SGU is done, theyd wanna be starting production on season 3 about now in order to have it ready for sep-oct,

I'm not sure if having it return in Autumn was ever really on the cards. I'd say there would be too much pre-production stuff that would have been interrupted when Syfy called time. Realistically if the series returns it will probably be in 2012.
    I'm really hoping they will get a chance to finish it off properly, would be a great shame to see an overall great franchise end like this but my gut feeling is it won't happen in it's current format. Maybe direct to dvd movie/Tv movie/mini series/direct download.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

don ramo wrote: »

well if the network that might buy it has any sense, they'll start airing it in january, and have it run in one go, none of this 3 month mid-season breaks, that kills the momentum of the show, and makes viewers pissed off at having to wait so long for the next part.

Advertisement