Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU Cancelled

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

That's why he said a 3rd season was looking unlikely, but there were other options

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Anita Blow wrote: »
    That's why he said a 3rd season was looking unlikely, but there were other options

And why not?
    Dvd movies have been such a success thus far(!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

bah, bet its a comic book or something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The thing I will hate most is there were some fair performance in there by the like of carlyle and la bamba, greer and young, etc. that will go amiss. They did some fine work with what they were given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Overheal wrote: »
    The thing I will hate most is there were some fair performance in there by the like of carlyle and la bamba, greer and young, etc. that will go amiss. They did some fine work with what they were given.

Agreed, I especially thought some of the Carlyle central episodes were fantastic.

On a sort of plus side we get 3 full seasons and not a Firefly single season :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

red dave wrote: »
    On a sort of plus side we get 3 full seasons and not a Firefly single season :(
    It's actually only 2 seasons, it's just that they've put such a stupidly long break in the middle of season 2 that it feels like seperate seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Overheal wrote: »

Couldn't agree more, I thought Carlyle had a powerful screen presence at times, & seemed to effortlessly dominate scenes. Chavez is always welcome on screen :D Young was brilliant, and Greer was very powerful on screen I thought, real badd-ass attitude but not over the top. I'll miss all of them :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

stevenmu wrote: »
    It's actually only 2 seasons, it's just that they've put such a stupidly long break in the middle of season 2 that it feels like seperate seasons

Syfi did this for both seasons and moved the nights it aired around. It's almost like they didn't want it to succeed:rolleyes:

I've been a stargate fan since the movie/Sg1 days and I can honestly say that I almost can't be bothered at this stage.

keithgeo wrote: »
    bah, bet its a comic book or something stupid.

Or a cartoon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Or a cartoon.
    They could team up with the Stargate Infinity crew for some crazy adventures!

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    They could team up with the Stargate Infinity crew for some crazy adventures!

That would be damn crazy.
    That said, Eli would be right in place in Infinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I can undertsand why SGU is being binned. While it attempted to move the SG story in a new direction it was just too damm slow and boring to really engage the audience. I watched many on Fast forward in part and dont believe I missed much. It's just one of those things, SG-1 was a massive hit and the formula worked, but tweak and change it too much and it becomes something else alltogether and the spark is gone.

I found it very hard to care about the characters or their personal issues. It was probably going for the all alone in space battlestar approach but the story arc was heading all over the place. When they thought they had found God in the cosmos it was really time to switch off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

is the cartoon any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Its those gawd dam stupid stones in season one that runined it for the average viewer. Going to nightclubs and baking cookies and talking crap with your lesbian life partner. What kind of a scifi fan wants to watch that bull?

somuj wrote: »
    Its those gawd dam stupid stones in season one that runined it for the average viewer. Going to nightclubs and baking cookies and talking crap with your lesbian life partner. What kind of a scifi fan wants to watch that bull?

Have to agree.
    I was watching the episodes in bulk.
    I can't imagine how annoying they must have been for someone to wait a week to see all that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

yeah, they really shouldn't have had the stones. the episodes with Earth in them were among the worst...it felt too calm aboard destiny, they were never truly alone, they could just hop back to Earth for a while for some R&R. it would have been much better if they were totally stranded out on Destiny

somuj wrote: »

Lesbians in nightclubs? Yeah, I can see how that's boring all right :rolleyes::D

Joking, i know what your getting at, & yep your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

is the cartoon any good?

No

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ it's better then SGU!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

^ it's better then SGU!

The thing is, I know you are serious in saying that.

• Advertisement

Those stone things where ridiculous. who needs to see earth and whats going on! we want space battles, aliens etc. if i wanted to see that other stuff id watch eastenders.

Started watching SG1 again from the start, i was worried i would get bored with the first few episodes but i honestly didnt, im halfway through the second season now a week after starting and im loving it. It really was a great show.

keithgeo wrote: »
    Started watching SG1 again from the start, i was worried i would get bored with the first few episodes but i honestly didnt, im halfway through the second season now a week after starting and im loving it. It really was a great show.

I only started SG-1 a few months back, completely hooked on it. I hit series 8 lately so I've had to break into Atlantis too, the pilot wasn't impressive at all :( But by all accounts it picks up.

Gutted about SG-U though, seeing the ads for it was what kicked me off watching SG-1, & I thought Universe itself had fantatsic potential, and for the most part I enjoyed it.

would love to be watching it for the first time, ive seen nearly all them before though, atlantis is ok, i liked universe myself but the bits on earth where just boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

From gateworld, still nothing concrete and looks like we wont know till the new rating numbers start to roll in.
    As we told you back in January, Stargate Universe co-creator Brad Wright is working hard at finding a way to finish the story of Destiny and her reluctant crew (story). He’s been in talks with MGM about continuing the story in some form, though all the major players have been pretty quiet about those discussions behind closed doors. So where do things stand today?

Fortunately, SGU fans have executive producer Joseph Mallozzi’s blog to let us know that those conversations are still progressing. He revealed last month that the door was pretty much closed on a third season someplace other than Syfy Channel. That doesn’t leave a lot of other possibilities: a wrap-up movie, a series of movies, a mini-series, online webisodes, or cocktail napkin doodles posted on YouTube with the producers doing all the character voices, augmented with special effects from Mark Savela.

This week Mallozzi helped clarify the picture a bit, while fans continue to wait for some announcement from the studio.

“Hopefully, by the time [the season finale, 'Gauntlet'] airs, we’ll have definite word on a potential movie or two,” he said.

“If it’s a go and fans can look forward to a proper end to Destiny‘s mission, then ‘Gauntlet’ will certainly set the stage for a grand conclusion. If, on the other hand, things don’t pan out and ‘Gauntlet’ does turn out to be the bittersweet finale, fans will be thrilled, touched, heartbroken — and left to wonder what could have been.”

Let’s hope for the former.

The studio has had past success with the DVD and Blu-ray releases of Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Continuum, two SG-1 movies that followed the show’s cancellation. The home media market has changed radically since those two were shot in 2007 and released in 2008. MGM may be crunching the numbers to see if it can give a potential series of SGU films a decent budget and still turn a profit from the combination of media sales, online digital downloads, TV broadcast licensing, and the many international markets where Stargate is popular.

Wright and his team have certainly demonstrated over the years that they have the ability to make a modest production budget look like a feature film on the small screen. And in our humble opinion, MGM will need to commit to paying off this story — and make at least one Atlantis film — to keep Stargate‘s existing fan base and win back some disenfranchised viewers.

So has Atlantis been taken off the cards altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

So has Atlantis been taken off the cards altogether?

Yep, at the moment both Atlantis and Universe will be left without a proper ending. The chances of Extinction happening are essentially slim to nil at the moment if I remember correctly.

Yep, at the moment both Atlantis and Universe will be left without a proper ending. The chances of Extinction happening are essentially slim to nil at the moment if I remember correctly.
    "proper" endings such anyway. Dollhouse? I found some holes in that ending, let me just say (great series though!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I really hope they manage some type of ending, the typical Stargate season final where everything explodes and the screen goes blank isn't a good way to end a series.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

^ it's better then SGU!

...no, just no!

• Advertisement

the center of the universe: MacGuyver's Floating Head

Advertisement