Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU Cancelled

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

agreed with you there love big bang theory.

Also Good, Nikita suprisingly enough, walking dead, fringe, True Blood.

Then the meh categorie including no ordinary family, eureka, warehouse 13, smallville, human target etc. which i watch every week but its just more for something to watch than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Feck sakes like. When are these studios going to realise that the model of watching tv when they want you to watch it is dying a long death. Seriously, given the demographic of this show and the fact that most fans would want to support it given a chance Id say they could make up plenty of ratings by streaming on their website to an international audience with region specific ads.. I know I would be happy to sit through a few ads if it meant saving the show. I would wonder as to the mean age of the studio exec's that make these stupid decisions. They really need some young blood if that age is 40+ (which it most likely is).

Im still very pĺssed at this, I can safely say it's my favourite show at the moment and one il make time to watch even if Im busy in college. I would have rather seen Eureka or WH13 axed instead of this, I watch those too but SGU comes out on top by far..

They could also at least have given the show some time to finish the story. Chances are the back 10 are already completed so we will just be left with a cliffhanger for "next season"... forever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

liamtech wrote: »
    it was slow, filled with endless and pointless dialogue, and was generally designed for a wider audience ie “people who dont like SciFi” – Well guess what, they didnt like it – and speaking for myself as a long term Sci Fi Fan (trek, sg1, sga, doctor who, EFC)etc i really never liked it
    +1,000,000
    And yes, I blame BSG and Lost for putting stupid ideas in the writers' heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,644 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im with the guy that said they have no reason to watch TV anymore. Hell, I havent turned on the TV in 2 weeks. The only other things I watch are the news and late night tv like the daily show and conan o'brien, and maybe south park, the office and family guy - all of which can be got online. Television's dead baby, television's dead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    +1,000,000
    And yes, I blame BSG and Lost for putting stupid ideas in the writers' heads.
    Tbh I don't think you can blame BSG and Lost. What they did excellently was to create a world, tell an interesting and compelling story in it, and then let the characters grow and develop around that. Where SGU went wrong (and others have done it too such as Heroes), is to start out by trying to develop characters, and then throw in some kind of situation or plot which is vaguely connected to try and support that.

It actually becomes very apparant when you watch/read interviews with the shows writers, the SGU writers were constantly talking about how character driven the show, it was constantly "character driven this", "character driven that" and "next week will be even more character driven than this week". The BSG writers were always talking about exploring interesting scenarios, politics, torture, terrorism, religion etc, and then bringing their characters into those scenarios to see how they'd react. The setting, situation and overall plot was central to everything that happened. SGU could just as easily have been set on a park bench by a duck pond, they would have still had the same "character driven" episodes and would have just changed some minor plot points.

I did like the kind of gritty realism they tried to bring, thins like worrying about air and supplies, worrying about infectious diseases when off world, aliens not speaking english etc, and it's a real pity it happened now when they were actually starting to go in the right direction, but they took too long to get to where they are now, and not enough happened on the way there to keep most peoples interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭token56

Only after seeing this now, absolutely terrible news. Completely running out of tv shows to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

I'm curious though, how many of the people posting here bemoaning the loss actually watch the show as aired or on a ratings-counted pvr such as sky+ or whatever.

I'd be willing to bet that a significant majority obtain the show by alternate means that count nothing towards ratings.

Could it be that real the fans, eager to see first, fastest and without advertisements are actually a contributing factor in it's demise?

I like the idea earlier in the thread of embracing the net and publishing online, globally. Would people pay for this though? Or continue to seek out the workaround?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

meep wrote: »
    I'm curious though, how many of the people posting here bemoaning the loss actually watch the show as aired or on a ratings-counted pvr such as sky+ or whatever.

I'd be willing to bet that a significant majority obtain the show by alternate means that count nothing towards ratings.

Could it be that real the fans, eager to see first, fastest and without advertisements are actually a contributing factor in it's demise?

I like the idea earlier in the thread of embracing the net and publishing online, globally. Would people pay for this though? Or continue to seek out the workaround?

I get by alternative means because I just can't wait. But I always watch it again when it airs on sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

meep wrote: »

I see your point and it probably does impact on the ratings, as for paying to watch a series online? I would absolutely pay for that, but I don't think TV broadcasters are going to embracing it as they will stand to lose allot in advertising (unless of course that their ones implementing it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Nah I don't think paying for streaming would work at all. Regional-ad supported streaming is what they need really. This will probably never happen of course, the industry seems to be very stuck in it's ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

it was voyager in the stargate universe to be fair it was done before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

it was voyager in the stargate universe to be fair it was done before

and voyager was lost in space and lost in space was the swiss family robinson and the swiss family robinson was Robinson Crusoe and blah blah de frakin blah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I dont even know when it airs or what channel - syfy on upc?

Anyway - this show is for geeks, stream the ****er or **** off i hope you go out of business as a network.

Free streaming on the site regionalized ads - get google and facebook in to sell you what the person is interested in so that way you dont get wasted ads and dont have to work a lot to set up 100's of different ads for each area stream - they could make the shows contain 10-15% ads and while they have hard core fans on the site sell extra stuff to them for cheaper so they sell more merch.

To sum up syfy and tv/media in general DIAF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

The walking dead and fringe are next on my list - along with 2 1\2 men, how i met your mother and big bang theory are the only shows i watch.

seriously one of the four shows i actually choose to watch on tv was cancelled ffs.

(i watch a lot more online like rev3/twit etc - they are making money with cheaper to produce content why cant television move with the feckin times)

SNAP - watch the walking dead, that is the best opening scene ever..... plus michael rooker is bad ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I wonder if I can get back the 80 odd dollars I've spent in iTunes credit buying this on Apple TV :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Saw the news elsewhere, came here for 2 reasons:

1. :(

2. Richard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Try contacting the powers that be and letting them know they made a crap decision.
    An Official from the Space Channel which is very close to the Franchise said if fans make enough noise, a compromise could be made. Think he suggested a co-production deal between Space and Syfy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

token56 wrote: »
    Only after seeing this now, absolutely terrible news. Completely running out of tv shows to watch.
    I know the feeling. SGU and NCIS were the only two shows I watch regularly (and always looked forward to each week's installment!)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

i really hope julia benson gets another job quickly :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I know the feeling. SGU and NCIS were the only two shows I watch regularly (and always looked forward to each week's installment!)...

But NCIS is still on? AND STILL AWESOME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Awful news and a stupid decision, I really liked this show. I'm becoming increasingly wary of watching new shows in case they end up cancelled before they're given a proper chance and I'm sure I'm not the only one, which can't be good for ratings.

So much for the "five year story" :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Sherifu wrote: »
    Saw the news elsewhere, came here for 2 reasons:

1. :(

2. Richard

:confused: - won't find me taking any satisfaction in this axing, it's another nail in the coffin of Sci-Fi. Anything now which isin't mindless rubbish is being axed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU?ref=mf#!/SaveSGU?v=wall

First Caprica, now this not impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

im actually dissapointed in syfy for cancelling a sci-fi show, i mean if sci-fi isnt safe in the syfy channel where is it safe, they really do need a younger generation of studio execs, someone badly need to tap into the internet market,

i dont know why you cant just register on site and add all the shows you watch and they can charge ya say 10 cent a show to watch it live with ads, theyd make 3 euro a week off me during the winter with all the shows i watch,

theyd make a packet off the advertising, sure thats why the owner of facebook is worth billions, ads, he has access to 500 million people guaranted, thats 1 in 14 people, wheras tv has a potential access to at the minimum 3 if not 4 in 14 people,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

don ramo wrote: »
    im actually dissapointed in syfy for cancelling a sci-fi show, i mean if sci-fi isnt safe in the syfy channel where is it safe, they really do need a younger generation of studio execs, someone badly need to tap into the internet market,

i dont know why you cant just register on site and add all the shows you watch and they can charge ya say 10 cent a show to watch it live with ads, theyd make 3 euro a week off me during the winter with all the shows i watch,

theyd make a packet off the advertising, sure thats why the owner of facebook is worth billions, ads, he has access to 500 million people guaranted, thats 1 in 14 people, wheras tv has a potential access to at the minimum 3 if not 4 in 14 people,

Its no longer a sci-fi channel since they started showing wrestling and ghost hunters on the channel in the states,thats why the renamed it syfy. What a major balls up they made by moving it to Tuesday nights. If they had any sense they would move the last 10 episodes back to Fridays and see what kind of figures they get before cancelling it. So are we gonna get a 3 minute ending like we did in Caprica?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

We're getting a cliffhanger as an ending. Last episode was already shot a month ago and has been in production for a while so they can't change it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Anita Blow wrote: »
    We're getting a cliffhanger as an ending. Last episode was already shot a month ago and has been in production for a while so they can't change it
    We'll get to see how good their editors and directors are. It's not that difficult to (re)cut an ending so that instead of being a "tune in to see" cliff- hanger, it is an open ended finish, completing that particular story, but leaving the overall story arc up to the imagination of the viewer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Good article on Gateworld here detailing some of the reasons that lead to its cancellation.

Oh and, as an aside, let's just prepare ourselves for "Fringe"'s cancellation too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Fupping hell. Was soo looking forward to catching up with SGU over the xmas (Been in oz so haver missed the last 6 months of series). I have not seen any of season 2 yet and to be honest I dont think i will. Its like travelling a road to nowhere. just pointless.

Re other posters. Loving the big bang theory. Some brill acting and smart science jokes most would not yet. uber-geeky;) Just watched the sarah connor chronicles for the second time. Possibly the worst ending ever and just generally a shame to end it so early on. epic show. Sci-fi is a dying genre and the mindless friends like **** on the tv the faster the day of reckoning will come

Advertisement