Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU Cancelled

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

noodler wrote: »
    Does the studio get anything from DVD/BR sales?
    Wasn't it being produced by MGM Studios and Licensed/Commissioned to SyFy? SyFy did none of the production, just the broadcasting. They shouldn't see a dime from Disc sales, unless they published the DVDs themselves or something.

I read that big editorial on Gateworld though and one of the big factors was simply SyFy mis-managing the franchise, moving it to Tuesdays basically by itself and splitting up such a serial plot, and running it during the Fall alongside the National Network Lineups, instead of during the off-seasons like the Summer where it doesn't have much competition for ratings.

I agree with their money assessment too: consumer spending is the only thing that had halted plans from 2008 to produce the next SG-1 to-dvd film and the first Atlantis film.

The actors might be hopeful it will get picked up by another station (hell, it's happened before!) but realistically thats a narrow window of opportunity before key cast members diverge off into other projects and commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

A Space (The Canadian SGU Network) Representative posted this on Networks Facebook.
    "As for SPACE saving SGU, right now we are monitoring fan interest, and trying to see what we can do. But to do that we have to cast a broad net and do some creative data mining, and that takes time. Negotiating takes time too. Given the nature of fandom, and the internet, why would we say anything until it is confirmed? Folly, sheer folly
    You should know by now that getting a 'fan consensus' is like herding cats. It is always wise to remember that every show on SPACE has people who love it, and people who hate it. Every show. Stargate and SGU are no different. In fact, I'd argue that some of SGU biggest critics are Stargate fans.

You take our silence as inaction, and you are wrong to do so. "

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Anita Blow wrote: »
    A Space (The Canadian SGU Network) Representative posted this on Networks Facebook.

Is Space really big enough financially to save a show like SGU?

Is it not a little bit like RTE deciding to back and finance a new season of 24? Or am I being very disrespectful.

Not on it's own. I think it's been getting numbers around 600,000 which is huge for the channel so they are looking into co-producing the show, most likely with Sky1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sky co-financing BSG?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It was a bit too dark and Battlestar Galactica like for my liking, though I would watch it with my sons and I'm an average/good fan since the 1970's Star Trek #

SGU was just becoming TOO predictable and a missed episode need not be watched to follow the stoyline, and there was hardly anything in it for kids, nothing to bring on the next generation of mass market trinket purchasers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

liamtech wrote: »
    t- replaced with people whinning about relationships and cheating girlfriends - If i wanted that id buy a friends boxset -

Spare me, please!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sky co-financing BSG?

For season 1 anyway, I am not sure about after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Anita Blow wrote: »

We should all write letters to them about how we will perform favours (sexual* or otherwise) should they decide to commission a third series! :D

*Well, maybe not....

gbee wrote: »
    It was a bit too dark and Battlestar Galactica like for my liking, though I would watch it with my sons and I'm an average/good fan since the 1970's Star Trek #

SGU was just becoming TOO predictable and a missed episode need not be watched to follow the stoyline, and there was hardly anything in it for kids, nothing to bring on the next generation of mass market trinket purchasers.

I think the main argument was that it was too serialized! If you missed an episode, the story would be thrown off for you. Like if someone missed
    Awakening
    then the big scene in
    Resurgence with the Seeder Ship
    wouldn't make much sense and wouldn't have as much of a wow factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Just add this to a long list of quality programming that gets cut while tripe keeps on going.

I would agree with the people who are saying Fringe is next for the chop. Given that viewers seem to struggle with whats going on in one universe how did the writers even think they would manage multiple universes on the go at the same time?

I would be suprised if a show with such quality as SGU is totally done. Yes people have drawn similarities between it and BSG but you need to understand that this is how SciFi is developing. Its no longer the SG1/SGA/TNG etc where everything gets wrapped up in 43 minutes and they put a bow on the top. If they produced another SGx that had the same format as the previous versions i wouldn't watch it - and yes i did really like SG1/SGA but my expectations have moved on a loong way since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

The decision to bump the show from Friday night killed it, it was never going to gain/retain viewers in a midweek slot where it would be competing against mainstream shows. Sci-Fi channel established Friday night as Sci-Fi night : SG-1, Atlantis and BSG aired back to back 4/5 years ago, more recently it was BSG, Dollhouse and Sanctuary. I know Wrestling is massive cash cow in the U.S. and it also traditionally fills the Friday night tv slots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Talisman wrote: »
    I know Wrestling is massive cash cow in the U.S. and it also traditionally fills the Friday night tv slots.
    It's not that traditional, up until a few years ago it was on Thursday nights, and it wasn't doing well. The switch to Fridays actually saved the show, so they are not going to be wiling to change back any time soon. And it gets bigger ratings than any other show on SyFy, so they are not going to want to let it go. The best hope for Sci Fi Friday to return would probably be for Smackdown to start doing so well that one of the more mainstream channels decide to pick it up when the contract comes up for renewal.

A newspiece in Chicago now, interviewing Brad Wright. There's hope yet.
    Be of good cheer this holiday season, "Stargate Universe" fans. Syfy may not have shot down the Destiny just yet.
    "We haven't given up on finishing the story we started," executive producer and series co-creator Brad Wright said via email Thursday.

Brad Wright
    On Dec. 16, Syfy confirmed on Twitter that it wouldn't pick up "SGU" for a third season. (It is set to air the remaining 10 episodes of Season 2 in spring 2011.) The "Stargate" franchise helped turn Syfy, then Sci Fi, into a cable network player when "SG-1" moved to the network in 2002.
    Wright was on a trip when he heard about the cancellation, but since returning he has been exploring options for continuing the series in some form. He and officials at franchise owner MGM have been discussing several options, he said, and he's thankful for fan support.
    "It's heartening to see so many people upset about Syfy's cancellation of the show," he wrote, "but it's important to remember that their license fee represented only a portion of our total budget."

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/show-patrol/2010/12/brad-wright-on-stargate-universe-we-havent-given-up.html#ixzz18yz4GkQ9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

From Gateworld -
    MGM reboot complete, financing secured for new productions

Friday - December 24, 2010
    by Darren Sumner

Here’s a little good news for Stargate fans reeling from the cancellation of Stargate Universe just before Christmas (story). After collapsing under the weight of $5 billion and going into bankruptcy court this month, legendary film studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer is declaring a Do-Over.

The studio that owns the Stargate television franchise announced Monday that its plan for restructuring the company has become effective. More important for the future of Stargate is that MGM has secured financing of $500 million through JP Morgan, for use in funding its operations and restarting active production of a new slate of film and television projects.

“MGM is emerging from one of the most challenging periods of its storied history,” Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum, new Co-Chairmen and Chief Executive Officers of MGM, said in a press release. “We are honored and inspired at the opportunity of leading one of Hollywood’s most iconic studios into its next generation of unforgettable filmmaking, global television production and distribution, and aggressively pursuing, developing and exploiting new digital entertainment platforms.

“Beginning today, MGM is a stronger, more competitive company, with a solid financial foundation and a bright future. We look forward to working with MGM’s dedicated employees to build upon this company’s legacy.”

The studio traded its debt to creditors for ownership of most of the restructured company.

MGM has also named eight of the nine positions on its new Board of Directors, which includes Barber and Birnbaum. Former Pixar CFO Ann Mather has been tapped as the Board’s head (via Deadline.com).

One final glimmer of bright, brilliant news for Stargate fans: If MGM’s list of current executives on its Web site is up to date (it does include Barber and Birnbaum, who only officially joined with the restructure), then Charles Cohen is still at the company. Cohen (MGM’s Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer) is a self-proclaimed Stargate fan who has been with the studio since 1986, and has been hugely instrumental in the franchise’s success so far.

It does seem with Space channel, Wright's interview and MGM getting back on its feet that there is SOME hope? Guess it comes down to if SyFy will let it go

I think with the way Brad Wright has been speaking, Syfy doesn't have the power to object to the show moving.

hooray-zoidberg.jpg

It's funny, the forum was going to die off in a while from this and I was gonna post that clip of Rush going crazy ("In a few days, this forum will go dark!") And now here we find out we're at the point of imminent doom and for some reason the ship hasn't kerploded, and I'm pretty sure the lights just came back on in my bunk

"For the last few weeks I've been watching episodes flop, one after the other. And theres nothing I can do about it....THERE IS NO MORE RATINGS, etc."

Im forced to conclude SGU intentionally got itself cancelled to replenish it's fanbase's interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

if syfy are cancelling it, what the fúck should they care about what's done with it? they've washed their hands of it.

whiteman19 wrote: »
    if syfy are cancelling it, what the fúck should they care about what's done with it? they've washed their hands of it.
    Whats more they have let it go. By not licensing a 3rd season they have no say in what happens to the show after the end of season 2. And even then I question what level of creative influence they had on the show, if any. I get the sense they were merely broadcasters the same way SKY might get the rights to show How the Grinch Stole Christmas but not the creative rights to said Grinch, with no permission to run off and produce derivative works.

You'll notice that "SyFy" appears nowhere in the credit for the show. On the other hand the MGM Lion has always featured in front of each and every episode of stargate since Children of the Gods and the original Movie.

Owning a License != Owning the Intellectual Property Rights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

LMAO, its kinda sickly funny that this whole...

its been canx...
    we are done for...
    new funding found: there may be hope....

Saga, is more interesting than 90% of the episodes fo SGU so far!

(the remaining 10% has been some of the best tv in years though ;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Overheal wrote: »
    Im forced to conclude SGU intentionally got itself cancelled to replenish it's fanbase's interest.

:D, I have to agree, buts it is certainly working :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It's NOT coming back lads....fgs!!

the hell are you still here for?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Shut up with your negativity. There's plenty of reality pap and teenage drama that you can focus on now instead of bringing nothing more to this thread of worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Not only is it bad enough that Universe is gone (for the moment at least) but it has dragged the Stargate Atlantis film with it as well, you know the one we were promised in lieu of a sixth season :mad:

Link

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

:(

I saw seasons 3 and 4 of SGA recently and can't say I can complain - utter tripe for the most part. Nothing like the first season.

Still have 5 to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

MGM website has a banner up for SGU digital downloads for Xbox and Zune. Its pretty prominent in the TV section too. Hopefully earning them enough money to try get season 3 somehow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Conor108 wrote: »
    MGM website has a banner up for SGU digital downloads for Xbox and Zune. Its pretty prominent in the TV section too. Hopefully earning them enough money to try get season 3 somehow :)

That is one big banner on the home page for SGU. Mabye there is a tiny glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

whoever recommended fringe thanks, me and gf have got through a full season in a few days :eek:

Advertisement