Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU Cancelled

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Syfy are renewing

Warehouse 13
    Sanctuary
    Haven
    and Eureka

All of which have shoddy scripts, poor acting and are cringe inducing at the best of times. Are they really getting good ratings? Especially Sancturay. I don't know how that got renewed for a third season. And Haven was quite a disappointment, the only interesing episode being the last one.

If Fringe goes is there anything left? Although I'm not sure how much longer they can keep it going. It seems to be heading to a climax with the main story arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sanctuary has (surprise surprise) been thriving in the friday slot, right after Smackdown, go figure. Why did they do that.. why.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

What's this obsession with the Friday night slot?

I would have assumed a sci fi show would do better in a mid week slot like it did on Sky.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What's this obsession with the Friday night
    Because there wasn't much competition from other channels on a Friday night. Stargate viewers were more likely to watch it live where as if It's competing against bigger shows midweek the fans might record Stargate, which is bad for ratings.

Hmmm....so Stargate only succeeded in a way because there was no decent competition on a Friday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Hmmm....so Stargate only succeeded in a way because there was no decent competition on a Friday?

Stargate SG1 was sort of MacGyver reborn so it appealed to the parents of the children watching it ~ instant success potential.

SG-Atlantis had no such appeal so it had a harder battle and its slot would defiantly have been a deciding issue.

SG-U ~ ? as previously discussed.

gbee wrote: »
    Stargate SG1 was sort of MacGyver reborn so it appealed to the parents of the children watching it ~ instant success potential.

SG-Atlantis had no such appeal so it had a harder battle and its slot would defiantly have been a deciding issue.

SG-U ~ ? as previously discussed.

Not entirely....Sg-1 had a solid fiver year block guaranteed from the get go.

Atlantis, had many of the SG1 fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Syfy are renewing

Warehouse 13
    Sanctuary
    Haven
    and Eureka

All of which have shoddy scripts, poor acting and are cringe inducing at the best of times. Are they really getting good ratings? Especially Sancturay. I don't know how that got renewed for a third season. And Haven was quite a disappointment, the only interesing episode being the last one.

If Fringe goes is there anything left? Although I'm not sure how much longer they can keep it going. It seems to be heading to a climax with the main story arc.
    haven and sanctary are quiet good shows, i like eureka but SGU was by far superior than it,

i think it all just comes down to costs and ratings, eureka and haven were averageing 2 million plus viewers when they aired side by side, santuary while not having great ratings (aveageing around 1.5 million on average (im open to correction)) doesnt seem like a very expensive show to produce,

there was talk of SGU being around $2 million an episode, with lots of props and stage sets, wheras sanctuary has only one stage and 90% of the props are added in with CGI,

warehouse 13 i have no idea i dont watch it, but it must be doing good to get a renewal,

as much as i hate to say it stargate is considered syfys biggest sci-fi show, yet was only just above caprica (which is considered syfys second biggest sci-fi show) in the ratings, i put it down to bad management, with these 4 month breaks and sh1te, why cant they just show sanctuary for 20 weeks of the year on friday, and show SGU for the other 20 weeks, a full run no interuptions, take around 10 weeks off over christmass and your sorted, honestly why would you put so much money into a show only to set it up to fail,

its not other shows fault that SGU got canned, so not much point picking on them, all these show (bar caprica) are on 2nd + seasons, so they all got renewals last year, SGU missed out this year, its not fair, and i really hope MGM can pull something out here,

you also have to consider that its MGM have the rights to stargate, while syfy tmk have the right to the other shows, so syfy dont get DVD money and whatnot from stargate,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

don ramo wrote: »
    haven and sanctary are quiet good shows, i like eureka but SGU was by far superior than it,

i think it all just comes down to costs and ratings, eureka and haven were averageing 2 million plus viewers when they aired side by side, santuary while not having great ratings (aveageing around 1.5 million on average (im open to correction)) doesnt seem like a very expensive show to produce,

there was talk of SGU being around $2 million an episode, with lots of props and stage sets, wheras sanctuary has only one stage and 90% of the props are added in with CGI,

warehouse 13 i have no idea i dont watch it, but it must be doing good to get a renewal,

as much as i hate to say it stargate is considered syfys biggest sci-fi show, yet was only just above caprica (which is considered syfys second biggest sci-fi show) in the ratings, i put it down to bad management, with these 4 month breaks and sh1te, why cant they just show sanctuary for 20 weeks of the year on friday, and show SGU for the other 20 weeks, a full run no interuptions, take around 10 weeks off over christmass and your sorted, honestly why would you put so much money into a show only to set it up to fail,

its not other shows fault that SGU got canned, so not much point picking on them, all these show (bar caprica) are on 2nd + seasons, so they all got renewals last year, SGU missed out this year, its not fair, and i really hope MGM can pull something out here,

you also have to consider that its MGM have the rights to stargate, while syfy tmk have the right to the other shows, so syfy dont get DVD money and whatnot from stargate,

Wasn't so much picking on them as baffled by their ratings success. Sanctuary and haven seem quite dated in the way they're presented. I can't quite put a finger on what the problem is with them. They're ok for what they do but they both struck as show that were doomed for cancellation.

I was going to try to explain the problems I have with Haven but I'll leave that for the Haven thread in television.

Wasn't so much picking on them as baffled by their ratings success. Sanctuary and haven seem quite dated in the way they're presented. I can't quite put a finger on what the problem is with them. They're ok for what they do but they both struck as show that were doomed for cancellation.

I was going to try to explain the problems I have with Haven but I'll leave that for the Haven thread in television.
    obviously there not dated, haven is episodic with an underlyng story, like any random generic episodic show like any CSI, and Law and Order show, it just has a supernatural twist, it has an audience that will be attraced to it,

sanctuary for me this season is almost running identically with fringe, theres being one hugh arc, and the abnormal of the week that both shows have done for the past 2 seasons seem to have taken a step back and both shows are starting to show there true potential,

santuary is concentrating on the hollow earth city, and fringe on the alt-reality, boths shows are consumed in an arc that rolls from one episode to another, with consequeces in one episode effecting the next, no reset buttons as of yet,

SGU done this also but i think it failed mainly that it entered such an insurmountable arc right from the get go, while sanctary and fringe have built up a fanbase with there generic formula early on in there series, giving fans a chance to get to know the carcaters, while also being able to afford to miss an episode here and there, Uiverse dove right into an arc, if you missed one or two episode youd wonder why is wray pushing a cou now, why is rush on an alien spaceship, things like that,

if MGM do manage to green-light season 3 i do believe wed see a change in direction for the show,

• Advertisement

Essentially. Traditionally stargate was always aired during the off-season (Summer). Here however, SyFy pulled a stupid and aired SGU alongside Network Broadcasting Fall Lineups.

Then, in another round of stupid, they broke up the season into 2 parts so there was in theory, never a big lull between 2 seasons. This worked for SG1 and SGA, but they weren't Serial Shows, they were Episodic. For the same reason FOX always waited until later in the year - after the standard Fall lineup - to begin airing the new season of 24: it's something you can't split. Unless you're stupid.

Essentially it was the deconstruction of the SciFi Friday (which was BSG, SGA/SG1, and Sanctuary) that spelled its doom. Not that much happens on other channels on fridays, and even nerds watch other shows. SFF represented a 3-hour block of "must see" science fiction. And look what SFF did for those 3 shows: BSG was a resounding success; Sanctuary is going strong, and SGA essentially died only because the producers wanted to begin SGU and decided, or were told, to focus on one series only. The quality of both SG1 and SGA side by side, admittedly, ****ed both shows over. The producers agreed and decided to turn SGA into a DVD-Movie situation, but this fell through after the 2008 recession and the crash in DVD sales (plans are still there to produce the films however).

For some reason SyFy pulled a stupid though, and after airing Caprica, SGU and Sanctuary back to back in the beginning, they panicked and moved Caprica and SGU to Tuesdays, either because of low ratings or, if you ask me, because they were securing a deal with WWE. Gateworld also reported that SyFy moved them to Tuesday 'confident' that SGU and caprica could carry their own ratings. But evidently they failed to account for reality, or whatever else was on Television. Like the World Series, NCIS or whatever else takes your fancy. Toss in DVR and the other way in which I suspect that over half of the regulars here ingest the show online <_< and you have a good idea of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Speculative Fiction on TV is dead. It's been drifting that way for a while now due to out-of-date Nielson bias. Appealing to the lowest common denominator viewer is all they do now with the remaining "sci-fi" shows.

Good science fiction and tv are now mutually exclusive entities. A model like HBO's is the only hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    can't believe this shít

it's a top show for me and this is just so dissapointing to hear

red dave wrote: »
    can't believe this shít

it's a top show for me and this is just so dissapointing to hear

we need to edit the thread title or something..

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/12/mgm-reboot-complete-financing-secured-for-new-productions/

It's no guarantee but it suggests a possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Overheal wrote: »
    we need to edit the thread title or something..

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/12/mgm-reboot-complete-financing-secured-for-new-productions/

It's no guarantee but it suggests a possibility

Damn you Overheal, I got all excited as I thought that was going to be new news, not old news. I hate you :mad: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Redisle wrote: »

FFS!!! One of the best shows on atm and certainly syfy's best!!
    Lol no, SGU was terrible, sure im sad to see it cancelled but it was no where near the best show on tv, not even nearly syfy's best show

Teutorix wrote: »
    Lol no, SGU was terrible, sure im sad to see it cancelled but it was no where near the best show on tv, not even nearly syfy's best show
    Obviously I'll disagree but really what on SyFy is better?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Can't belive you guys are still discussing this....move on lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

*sigh*

• Advertisement

cant believe your still reading this,:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

move on lads!

That's a bit ironic

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you don't want to read it, don't read it. Let others discuss it in peace.

Richard, if you've nothing to contribute of worth, but keep posting and riling people, I will quite happily move you off the thread. One more post telling people to "move on" will be enough.

Overheal wrote: »
    Essentially. Traditionally stargate was always aired during the off-season (Summer). Here however, SyFy pulled a stupid and aired SGU alongside Network Broadcasting Fall Lineups.

Then, in another round of stupid, they broke up the season into 2 parts so there was in theory, never a big lull between 2 seasons. This worked for SG1 and SGA, but they weren't Serial Shows, they were Episodic. For the same reason FOX always waited until later in the year - after the standard Fall lineup - to begin airing the new season of 24: it's something you can't split. Unless you're stupid.

Essentially it was the deconstruction of the SciFi Friday (which was BSG, SGA/SG1, and Sanctuary) that spelled its doom. Not that much happens on other channels on fridays, and even nerds watch other shows. SFF represented a 3-hour block of "must see" science fiction. And look what SFF did for those 3 shows: BSG was a resounding success; Sanctuary is going strong, and SGA essentially died only because the producers wanted to begin SGU and decided, or were told, to focus on one series only. The quality of both SG1 and SGA side by side, admittedly, ****ed both shows over. The producers agreed and decided to turn SGA into a DVD-Movie situation, but this fell through after the 2008 recession and the crash in DVD sales (plans are still there to produce the films however).

For some reason SyFy pulled a stupid though, and after airing Caprica, SGU and Sanctuary back to back in the beginning, they panicked and moved Caprica and SGU to Tuesdays, either because of low ratings or, if you ask me, because they were securing a deal with WWE. Gateworld also reported that SyFy moved them to Tuesday 'confident' that SGU and caprica could carry their own ratings. But evidently they failed to account for reality, or whatever else was on Television. Like the World Series, NCIS or whatever else takes your fancy. Toss in DVR and the other way in which I suspect that over half of the regulars here ingest the show online <_< and you have a good idea of what happened.

Sums it up indeed.

Though I have to admit that I only got into Sg1 through syndication, so SyFy kinda shot themselves in the foot in that regard.

So any word on what network is picking it up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

ixoy wrote: »
    Richard, if you've nothing to contribute of worth, but keep posting and riling people, I will quite happily move you off the thread. One more post telling people to "move on" will be enough.

What's left to add?....it's been cancelled, and i personally can't see any network picking it up with the horrid ratings it had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

What's left to add?....it's been cancelled, and i personally can't see any network picking it up with the horrid ratings it had.
    While I don't think it will be picked up, I do think there are many potential places for it to be picked up. Some channels would consider its ratings to be a success, obviously not the main networks, but some other cable channels. Also, while I don't rate the intelligence of network execs too highly in general, it doesn't take a genius to see where Syfy fcuked up with SGU, so another main channel/network may want it, and figure that if they treat it in the obvious way (no huge mid season gaps, not put up against other network mainstays, etc.) it could bring in a decent audience. I actually think it could do well on a Friday night up against Smackdown, as I don't think they are after the same fanbase, so there would only be a relatively small subset of fans who would have to choose between watching one or the other, most would only actually watch one regardless as to whether or not they clashed. One big problem SGU has had, and has been shown by many in this thread who were upset about its cancellation, was that it took too long to get going. The amount of posts that contain something along the lines of "just as it was starting to take off". It is a season and a half old, it shouldn't be just starting to take off, it should be well under way! But now that it has started to have a bit of humour and sci-fi, it could become good enough to hold non-fans attention, and there might be a half intelligent network exec who realises that potential. A lot will probably depend on the second half of the season, and whether or not it keeps on in this direction. There is time, as a new channel would not repeat the mistakes of Syfy (I assume) so season 3 wouldn't be starting until next year, so pre-production wouldn't have to start for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Nobody is forcing you to reply or read. Until MGM announce the cancellation fully, people can continue to talk about their personal opinions. Still 10 episodes left to discuss anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Just to piss Richard Dower off....

Brian Jacob Smiths twitter says
    "who said no more sgu?? Network canceled it, not the studio. The fat lady hasn't sung yet, and I'm hopeful there'll be a movie. "

He answers a lot of questions on his twitter to fans asking about SGU and his response is always along the lines of - "They are trying very hard and we all have our fingers crossed."

• Advertisement

A movie.......jaysus.....the Sci Fi genre as a whole needs to let go of this romantic interest in movie continuations.

Advertisement