Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WEC Memories AND WEC 53 PBP Thread (Spoilers)

• 16-12-2010 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Like most good things they have to come to an end and tonight unfortunately is the last time we will see a WEC event. WEC down through the years have given us some absolutely fantastic fights and have showcased fantastic fighters such as Jose Aldo, Urijah Faber, Chael Sonnen, Carlo Condit, Paolo Filho, Miguel Angel Torres and Mike Thomas Brown. Lets hear your memories and thoughts now this organisation will sadly be no more as it will merge with the UFC within the next few hours.

Wec_logo.jpg

Preliminary card
    Renan Barão vs. Chris Cariaso
    Ricardo Lamas vs. Yuri Alcantara
    Danny Castillo vs. Will Kerr
    Eddie Wineland vs. Ken Stone
    Brad Pickett vs. Ivan Menjivar
    Jamie Varner vs. Shane Roller
    Zhang Tie Quan vs. Danny Downes

Main card
    Bart Palaszewski vs. Kamal Shalorus
    Donald Cerrone vs. Chris Horodecki
    Dominick Cruz (c) vs. Scott Jorgensen
    Ben Henderson (c) vs. Anthony Pettis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

I really hope Zhang Tie Quan lives up to the hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Is WEC 53 being shown on tv at all or would I just catch it on a stream?

It's not been shown here (afaik), best bet would be a stream or download it tomorrow. Streams should be easy enough to come across I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭d_jordan

As always this should be a cracker of an event!!!:D:D

Some memories: Brian Bowles KO's Miguel Torres for bw title,
    Jose Aldo double flying knee KO of Cub Swanson,
    Mike Brown dethroning Faber for the fw title and in the rematch faber fighting with broking hands,
    Henderson v Cerrone for the lw title,
    Torres v Mizugaki 5 round war for the bw title,
    Garcia v the korean zombie,
    Roop head kick Ko of the korean zombie,
    .....................etc
    the list goes on and on

WEC was a great promotion that will be greatly missed by it's fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

My best memory of WEC was: the Urijah Faber -V- Jens Pulver 1. This was hands down the biggest WEC fight ever. Jens had just come into the WEC off a loss to BJ in the TUF 5 Finale and then announced he was going down to 145. He went down to 145 and beat Cub Swanson very well. A fight with Faber had to be made. The build up was immense, the fight wasn't as hyped by Zuffa as it did for UFC events but this was one of the biggest fights that was fan hyped. The fans played a massive role in this fight. Sherdog was buzzing a week before the fight. The forums were flooded with threads. Going into the fight half were divided on the fighters. Half went for Urijah and Half went for Jens. Also a few days before the fight, the Arena in Sacramento got such an extra demand for tickets that they had to open the upper tier of the arena. The WEC thought that half selling the lower tier would be a good result. In fact what they ended up with was a nearly full Arco Arena in Sacramento buzzing with fight fans for the WEC's biggest fight. The fight itself was a showcase for Urijah, he showed how good of a fighter he was and what a prospect he was. It was a magical event and it took the WEC to another level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im getting giggles off the ads on this stream.
    Theres one running a competition for people to get a WEC event to their town :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 R.Kellz

HOLY SH*TBALLS, that was awesome!!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

OMG.

Did you just see that in round 5??

I just feel so priveledged to seee that live.

Haha, UNBELIEVABLE:D
    Total fluke that I watched it as well........so happy right now:D

That was just....unbelievable.

To see that, in an such a close fight in round 5, man......Pettis so deserveed that fight.

• Advertisement

Impressed by Pettis for a while now, freakin ninja!
    Can't sleep, I'll have to watch it again!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

hey guys i was the first person to post this ****er on youtube and its been stolen ha but fook it :) here it is again if your bored

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOQrvHkQuFA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

I can't wait to see other fighters inspired by this and trying to replicate it in fights.

There will be bloopers ahoy!

What a way to close out a pretty class how. Pettis looked like the real deal, we'll find out for sure pretty soon I suppose. Cruz looks unstoppable at 135.

Great finale for WEC.

It was a great way for the WEC to go out!!!

Goodbye WEC I will miss your amazing shows

So who saw it as it happened?

That was easily in my top 5 WTF? moments in any sort of sports, video games, TV, film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

idx7Ne.gif

Jesus Christ Tittyballs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Thanks for the memories Reed Harris & Sean Shelby for putting on cracking fights.

Odats wrote: »
    Thanks for the memories Reed Harris & Sean Shelby for putting on cracking fights.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sad to see the end , what a way to go out though, but 9/10 you could watch a wec , not have heard who is on the card or anything about it and know with all certainty it would be a cracker.

Just hope they get the spotlight they deserve in the UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

anybody know somewhere i can watch this online?

Advertisement