Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrangements for pets over Christmas in Galway?

Options
  • 16-12-2010 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

I already posted this in the pets forum but perhaps some of you lot can help me! ;)
    So with the Christmas season upon us, both myself and my housemate will be going home next week, which leaves us with a problem as it's not feasible for our 7-month-old kitten Lola to go on a bus to either Donegal or Kilkenny. We're going to have to come up with some arrangement, find somewhere to leave her or something from the 22nd til the 29th. Anyone any ideas as to what we might do, or if there's somewhere we might be able to leave her for the week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

go to the rescue centre and get lend of a pet carrier and take her to one of your homes, as at christmas time people are busy and dont have as much time as an animal needs, that is the only way i can think of for you to know for sure that your little kitty will be okay, she he can be put in the carrier at night in a warm room, cats are easy care for, especially in cold weather they sleep alot, do little, eat, drink and sleep, a little bit of company here and there and they are happy, take her to the house that has a few people in it, so she will have the company of all,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

goat2 wrote: »
    go to the rescue centre and get lend of a pet carrier

The rescues don't have carriers to lend out-if you are bringing the kitten with you then buy a carrier.

If you can't bring her then google catteries in Galway but don't know if they'll be taking any pets in over Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Bus Eireann won't allow pets on board - something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

goat2 wrote: »
    go to the rescue centre and get lend of a pet carrier and take her to one of your homes, as at christmas time people are busy and dont have as much time as an animal needs, that is the only way i can think of for you to know for sure that your little kitty will be okay, she he can be put in the carrier at night in a warm room, cats are easy care for, especially in cold weather they sleep alot, do little, eat, drink and sleep, a little bit of company here and there and they are happy, take her to the house that has a few people in it, so she will have the company of all,

Couldn't have put it better myself, cats rock because they are born capable of taking care of themselves, they have been our companions as long as dogs, but there isn't a show called one man and his cat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

There's a very nice kennels/cattery in Barna apparently. Your kitten will have to be up to date with all of his vaccines before they allow him to stay there tho. My cats travel home with me quite regularly; they're very used to it now, altho the younger cat did get travel sick at first but as he got older he got over that. They actually curl up on the back seat and sleep for the duration of the journeY, they're so used to it:p

A pet carrier will cost around fifteen euro somewhere like Argos. If you're bringing the cat on a bus you might want to look at getting some sort of sedation for him as if he miaows all the way to Donegal/Kilkenny your fellow passengers may not be impressed:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

This may sound a bit harsh, but you have a pet to look after and its only now you are thinking that you will need some way to look after it?
    I am sure you have booked the bus for yourself or at least planned when you are heading home a good while ago, surely if you think you are responsible enough to look after another creature then you should have thought of that at the same time!
    Most catterys will be booked solid by now, I know the one in Athenry has a waiting list for cancellations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

kittens are so cute, and very independent, but like dogs they need to be taken care of. Do not leave your little pet to fend for himself while you take off for holidays - he could starve or die with cold. When you take on an animal you need to have a plan for holidays - animals are very very expensive to keep. YOu need to buy a box for your cat and take him with you, or give him to a reliable and patient friend/relative to look after. Do not leave the poor thing on its own.

otherwise cancel your plans and stay and look after him - he's your responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

What a lot of people do in this situation is that they engage a petsitter. Some petsittters do calls or even live-ins at Christmas (including Christmas Day). You will get a list of contacts from Ark Vetinary Clinic. I will also PM you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Webbs wrote: »
    This may sound a bit harsh, but you have a pet to look after and its only now you are thinking that you will need some way to look after it?
    I am sure you have booked the bus for yourself or at least planned when you are heading home a good while ago, surely if you think you are responsible enough to look after another creature then you should have thought of that at the same time!
    Most catterys will be booked solid by now, I know the one in Athenry has a waiting list for cancellations.

Thanks for that very helpful response!!! Why bother posting if you're not going to help, I posted looking for information not criticism. And of course we'd never leave her on her own, she's our baba! We've been planning this for quite a while, but it has been difficult, being the holidays, and because we couldn't really afford a pet sitter that costs 60 a day... luckily I have a friend who offered to look after her, we are paying ehr in chocolate so it's all coming up roses :P Thanks to those who helped, especially Doubleglaze for your PM.

Advertisement