Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Older folk obsessed with the weather ....

• 16-12-2010 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I just rang my aunt ,who is in her early 70s, and she cut me off immediately once the weather came on RTE to listen ..... My Dad does the same thing during every single weather report . This makes me wonder is it just my family or does it happen in yours too ?? I mean they don't even have to go anywhere or do anything , they're retired so it's not holding them up really.

It drives me mad !!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Checking in to see if you're still in the will?
    Sounds like she's onto you.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

And I check on the Met Eireann website and the National Roads Authority weather station on the Waterford bypass which is close to my house.

Old age brings a certain caution, concern, nervousness about travelling, fear of falling (brittle bones etc). Then there is the fear of being trapped in the house, no electricity, no water, no food, no heat.

I'm never going to watch another weather forecast. I think they are the cause of all my anxieties, depression, various phobias and a generally nervous disposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Right now i'd cut people off to listen to the weather. I hate the snow and would like to hear its going somewhere else rather than here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

there is an excellent weather app for the lappy or pc called yo weather, the forecast comes from some uni in norway, i have been using it for a week, its rarely wrong, one of the reasons us wrinkleys use the forecast so much it to forecast how much pain we are going to experience during the coming days, as one gets older ones body responds to athmosperic pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Yup. I'm not old but i do obsess about the weather sometimes...don't like extream hot, cold or rain or ice!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The weather and your bowel habits will be the two most imortant things in your life after the age of 65. The older we are, the more of an impact that changes in either can have on us. Can't wait :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Not looking forward to old age! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Its likely because the weather affects them so much more then us. Particularly the snow.

Many elderly people can only barely get to the shops to but break and milk in great weather. But snow and ice can leave them completely house bound. And any journey outside could have serious implications. If a young person falls, majority of time they get a bruise. The same fall could cripple an old person.

Thats probably why. That or they are gay. Gays don't like snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Maybe that's what it has been all the time: I'm gay. If I tell my wife this do you think she will kick me out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If you fall over while outside in the snow you just get up. A wrist or something might be broken, but wtf.

If you are 70+ and you fall over while outside in the snow you die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

maybe they just really like the weather girl that weras all the leather.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

4X25 Kg pink salt. 2 freezers full of grub, tank of propane and a generator.
    Fek off winter, I'm OK 'till March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I find they're obsessed with RTE 1, radio or tv. Old miserable gits are too conservative to put on a channel newer than 1970.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Maybe its because they dont want to die this winter.

I can kind of see where they're coming from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I pity the old people in this weather. Fuk it, i pity myself in this weather. I cant stand it, its too damn cold. Feels like im going to get hypotermia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I just rang my aunt ,who is in her early 70s, and she cut me off immediately once the weather came on RTE to listen ...!!

You bore her.

Any excuse to get you off the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I can actually understand where they're coming from. I had a bad fall recently, which resulted in my having to use crutches for a few weeks.

The number of businesses who failed to clear snow and ice from the pavement outside their premises truly astonished me. Crutches are positively lethal on snow and ice - hence I avoided those areas that hadn't been cleared.

Had I lived alone, and had to fend for myself - there would have been several occasions when I would have been unable to obtain milk, bread, etc. - which is a situation that a lot of elderly people would have found themselves in.

No wonder they're obsessed with the weather....

Noreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bernadeli

orourkeda wrote: »
    Maybe its because they dont want to die this winter.

I can kind of see where they're coming from

whats the difference..there gonna die soon anyway so why prolong the aches & pains..least they wont have to worry bout the recession or imf sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sometimes watching weather fronts on a world map can be confusing, your elderly relatives are just looking to see if we'll all get liberated by the Allies before Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

4X25 Kg pink salt. 2 freezers full of grub, tank of propane and a generator.
    Fek off winter, I'm OK 'till March.

What about the beer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement